Jadera

Soft reserve handle?

Hi!

Recently I started to freefly... and there were situations when (as you all know) few people were in air with lots of grips, docks, etc... now, as i have classic reserve handle on my 8 years old javelin, i wanted to replace it with the soft handle...

Question: Can I just buy soft reserve handle and put it on my Jav, or I need to make certain modifications/adjustments?

Thank you all!

Is this common with people that freefly?

Its a really bad idea, even prohibited in some countries.

mind elaborating!? pretty much all the freefliers have that around here..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Which are you talking about?

Having a soft reserve handle or having a regular reserve handle. Which is banned in some countries? Having a soft handle or freeflying with a regular handle? I didn't know either was the case.

I don't freefly much but don't think much of soft handles. I want to be able to hook it with either hand.

Hmmm, come to think of it what makes soft handles assumed to be better for freeflying? Freeflyers are so out of control that they're more likely to snag a handle? Body orientation makes it more likely? Higher speed makes it more critical?

I've been in every ball of junk funneling belly flying you can imagine. What's different?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi!

Recently I started to freefly... and there were situations when (as you all know) few people were in air with lots of grips, docks, etc... now, as i have classic reserve handle on my 8 years old javelin, i wanted to replace it with the soft handle...

Question: Can I just buy soft reserve handle and put it on my Jav, or I need to make certain modifications/adjustments?

Thank you all!

If you get a pad handle from Javelin, get the big fat chunky one. Best/ easiest grip of any handle I've had on a rig. Love it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Which are you talking about?

Having a soft reserve handle or having a regular reserve handle. Which is banned in some countries? Having a soft handle or freeflying with a regular handle? I didn't know either was the case.

Its been debated much here in the past. Do a search. In Finland, it is banned to have a soft reserve ripcord.

Personally I feel, that for some people the soft+AAD might be the safest solution.

Since no one has yet to answer this question, I will field it.

If by soft handle we are talking about a pillow/pud handle, the advantage is that no one can hook their fingers in your reserve handle accidentally.

I suppose that they are not allowed in some countries because they think that people's hands are more likely to slip off in an emergency situation and will not be able to attain that nice, two-thumbs-through kind of pull you can on a D-ring.

I have two rigs, one with a D-ring, one with two pillows. I honestly want to change over to both being pillows, especially because my D-ring reserve handle is VERY prominent and I always have that lingering fear of someone accidentally bumping into me and dumping me out on my reserve from a sitfly. Not fun.
Not again!

Since no one has yet to answer this question, I will field it.

If by soft handle we are talking about a pillow/pud handle, the advantage is that no one can hook their fingers in your reserve handle accidentally.

I suppose that they are not allowed in some countries because they think that people's hands are more likely to slip off in an emergency situation and will not be able to attain that nice, two-thumbs-through kind of pull you can on a D-ring.

I have two rigs, one with a D-ring, one with two pillows. I honestly want to change over to both being pillows, especially because my D-ring reserve handle is VERY prominent and I always have that lingering fear of someone accidentally bumping into me and dumping me out on my reserve from a sitfly. Not fun.

I agree...that`s the reason why i started this topic! accidents do happen, and i saw with my own eyes what happens when someone (accidently) pull your d-ring reserve handle!

if people`s hands are likely to be slip over the soft handle for reserve, why are they manufacturing soft handles for cut aways at all?

if i order original soft reser ve handle from sun path, do i need to make any adjustments om my Jav? (velcro pocket..) or i can just put it in the place where d ring reserve handle once was?

I agree...that`s the reason why i started this topic! accidents do happen, and i saw with my own eyes what happens when someone (accidently) pull your d-ring reserve handle!

Yes. Also there has been two fatal incidents in finland when the jumper couldnt pull the soft pillow.

IMO, if you want to protect your handles you can get the soft one. However, the protection will be done by the expence of safety on the other end. (it will be more difficult to deploy in a stesss situation) You can reduce this possibility by having an AAD. This way you can have the best of both worlds..

Personally I wouldnt want a soft reserve pillow without an AAD.

Do a search and you will find a lot of info. Also regarding your question about why cutaways are normally soft..

The only time I've seen a reserve handle dislodged by another skydiver in freefall was on an AFF evaluation jump during a rollover, so I don't have any personal experience with this particular issue.

But I do know a couple of freeflyers who say the only time they've ever seen it happen was with a soft reserve handle. Someone puts their foot down on the top of the handle, the velcro peels, and that's all she wrote.

The Mirage "D" ring has an angle on the top of it that I think would discourage that particular case. I got my Wings with the low profile reserve handle, which of course is a tradeoff. I believe the low profile Wings handle is far more secure than a reserve pillow. Some people are scared by how small it is, but I am comfortable with my ability to get at it. I'm not sure if Sun Path offers a smaller handle for the Javelin.

I guess the point here is that soft handles are fine, but they are not the silver bullet. If you do get one, remember that you have to peel before you pull.

Yes. And/or for the cutaway. We have a few rigs like that on our DZ, jumped a few, the loops (both types I've jumped) are very nice.

For the reserve = bad idea. B| The snag hazard will be multiplied tremendously.

For the cutaway = maby good for some HIGHLY loaded small canopies that might end up in violent malfunctions. (easier to grab and pull while spinning in hard G forces) Having hard housing on the risers will eliminate the need for the loop cutaway a lot.

but why havent you got your self both loop cutaway and reserve if "you´d much rather go for a loop handle than a pillow." ?

Compared to what? A metal handle? No way. They´re not loops like this although I´ve seen loops like that on sportrigs too, but the ones I mean are more like half of a tearshape, like this, quite lowprofile. I likes.

but why havent you got your self both loop cutaway and reserve if "you´d much rather go for a loop handle than a pillow." ?

Because I change rigs a lot, it´s too expensive to modify them much. Also I do not have a problem with my current metal d/handles, I just would get rid of a reserve pillow should any rig I buy have one.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Compared to what? A metal handle? No way. They´re not loops like this although I´ve seen loops like that on sportrigs too, but the ones I mean are more like half of a tearshape, like this, quite lowprofile. I likes.

I know very well how they look like.. And yes they are much more likely to cause a snag hazard. Much easier for someone to accidentally grab..

Why would anyone grab a handle? I only ever had people near my handles when doing train exits, and those feet can kick anything loose, I never had anyone grab anything they shouldn´t. And even if they did, flailing around in a funnel or something, the metal D ring sticks out further and is bigger so that would be a bigger target no?

These days I mostly fly camera, be it inside or outside, CRW, tandems, wingsuit or bellyfly, I see no reason whatsoever to not jump loops (or metal d rings for that matter) on any of my jumps. Like i said, should I buy new I´d get loops, or pillow cutaway and loop for the reserve.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Why would anyone grab a handle?

Normally theses things dont happen on purpose. They are accidents and they DO happen all the time.

the metal D ring sticks out further and is bigger so that would be a bigger target no?

The metal D ring does not stick out further. The loop does. Therefore its more likely to get snagged. The D-ring stays put alongside the jumpers ribs and if you were to touch it with your hand you would notice it much more easily than a soft loop.

Got 2 pillows on my sportrig and the tandemrig I jump. You need to be aware that you need a firm grip to pull the pillow because of the double velcro.

I got 2 pillows on a student rig. I used them in wrong order... :S

For a student I can imagine the confusion, and I do not support this for students! For myself I'm not really afraid. Already got some muscle-memmory training for this procedure (I got a couple of break-aways).
Some years ago I had a static-line student almost pulling that nice silver handle on my previous rig during climb-out. Not funny!!
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

I was going to get a soft reserve handle for fashion but decided it was better to retain my gold ring (previous owner did it). If you ended up with a piece of jumpsuit covering the metal ring I find it easier to locate. I also find it easier to apply a lot of force to the ring given a few emergency scenarios - dislocated/broken left arm/shoulder? I just think a soft reserve handle is a bad idea.

-Michael