mailin

Do you jump with low-timers?

I really enjoying jumping with new people and getting to know them. I think I learn more from them than they learn from me. I even turn down invites to particpate in 4, 6 & 8 ways sometimes to jump a 2 way with a new person I see standing around.

Here are some of the things that a new person should take into consideration when they are not invited on a particular jump:

1. I can not jump with you on every jump I make. You need to make friends with other people at the dz and jump with them too. I will introduce you to them, but it is up to you to get to know them.

2. If I am participating in a jump that I feel you are not ready for, I will not invite you to participate. 8-ways, 16-ways and 20-ways are not the place for every new jumper. It is primarily a safety issue, but sometimes is a special dive for another jumper and I want it to be a successful jump for them. You may have performed flawlessly on the last jump, but in my experience not be ready for what we are currently planning.

3. If I invite you on a larger jump and you do not do well, do not expect to get on the very next large jump unless you have shown you have improved or learned from your mistake. Again this can be a safety issue, but is often a "success" issue. If you were the only one that fell out of the formation, you alone ruined the jump for all the other participants. Jumpers want their dives to have a reasonable chance for success. If you always go low on 8-ways and are not working to improve, you will not get invited to participate in other 8-way or larger formations. Know your limitations, but work to improve.

4. If you want to participate, get to the dz early BEFORE the groups have formed. If you show up at 2 PM, 4PM etc. it is harder to get invitations to jumps or break into established groups because the groups are comfortable with each other and perhaps at the max size they want. Successful jumps occur more frequently when multiple jumps have been made with the same people. AND if you have joined a group, stay with the group all day. If you get on one load, then off the next, then on, then off, it makes it more difficult for the organizer to plan the next jump. Making it easier on him will make it easier on you!

5. Look around the dz and see who is standing around. Frequently there will be other jumpers at your level who are wanting to jump, but don't know anyone. Often, a more experienced jumper will volunteer to help you if you put 2 or 3 jumpers together on your own. Most of us started jumping with our peers. It took us longer to figure some of the tricks out, but we survived and had lots of fun learning...don't deprive yourself of that experience.

6. When invited to jump with more experienced jumpers be on-time and dressed accordingly for dirt dives. NEVER be the last one to show up. NEVER talk when the organizer is talking unless the organizer asks you a question. Do not volunteer advice. Listen to and watch everything the more experienced jumpers say and do. Ask questions if you don't understand something on the ground because it's to late when you are in the air. Be a team player!

7. And finally, if you screw up go to the organizer and tell him you know you screwed up and want to know how to correct it. When he says you screwed up, don't argue with him or try to blame someone else. Just practice the fix until you can do it right. AND go tell him you have been doing it correctly after you know you can do it.

8, Be friendly, cheerful and interested in the people around the dz. If you are frequently in a bad mood or angry, people don't want to be around you. We come to the dz to have a good time and be with our friends. If you're constantly bitching about something (even if it is your own jumping), we don't want to hear it. Again watch the people around you...if they wander off after you have joined the group and reform somewhere else, you've got to figure out what you are doing and STOP doing it.

Many DZ's get criticized by new people as being unfriendly, full of sky gods, cliques, etc. What non-jumpers and new people don't realize is that most jumpers are very close. We have common problems, common interests and common goals even though our backgrounds are very diverse and our non-jumping lives have nothing in common. We like other jumpers and want to be around other jumpers.

You've taken the first step by showing us you would like to skydive....Remember we were all newbies not long ago, and yes, we were very much like you!

Blues,

Blue skies,

Jim

Hello-oooo down there ;)

Did you see what I wore on that jump yesterday? My freefly top (floppy heavy denim) over my bootie suit. It's uncomfortably hot until exit, but man is it versatile in the air. Body position is the most important aspect of falling slow, but dressing for success makes life so much easier. I looked at the size/shape of the lowest timer on that load, thought about the possibility that all her tunnel time has taught her "muscle memory" for slow air, and decided I wanted more "insurance" than just my cheaters. Mind you I'm not saying your suit isn't perfect...I remember thinking that I wanted to check it out before we got ready, and then I forgot to. I remember it's a blue Bev suit w/ booties, but that's about it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Hello-oooo down there ;)

Oh, my suit helps a heck of a lot, I bought it for that very reason (polycotton suit, baggy, with booties and "afterburners" to slow). I see a big fall rate difference when I jump with it than without it. I'm still figuring out how to fly it to its maximum potential (learning to really *use* those afterburners/booties to really help me control things).

The point of my post was not to discuss my particular challenges :P but to make the point that sometimes it can be harder to discover what those are if you only jump with people who can overcome them. (That said, the tiniest person on the DZ, who has about 2500 jumps, says she's going to "cure" me of falling too fast... I'm looking forward to her coaching!)

>My question for the groups is: how often do you ask how many jumps someone has?

All the time! Taking up five people with 50 jumps each is a recipie for disaster.

Forgive me for seeming ignorant, but why is this a recipe for disaster?? I have only just been introduced to the world of skydiving, and am curious to know what angle you are coming from???
Thanks in advance..;)

because low-timers are more prone to making mistakes or errors in judgement in the air. so putting a bunch of low timers all together at once is dangerous because they might all track in the same direction, approach the formation at 50 mph, etc.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I jump with them alot...

I find this choice "Seldomly. I like to jump with people my own level so I can learn" VERY incorrect.

Simply put, I have learned alot as a coach in learning to fly. I have increased my flying skills alot by coaching and flying tandem videos.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Thank you for that wonderful post. All of what you wrote is right on! :)

...and you still refuse to jump with me.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

something just occurs to me... I bet female low timers do much less solos then male low timers.

No idea what you're talking about.:)

Actually, at dropzones I have been to, the new jumpers, both male and female, are well looked after. Many of the experienced jumpers at my new dz were quite willing to jump with me and all of the other (relatively) low-time jumpers.:)

quite regularly... unless your just learning your HD i'll jump with pretty much anyone... i dont jump with many brand new belly fliers as thats not really my thing and the Flailers will pretty much take care of you, but once your learning to freefly i'll go out and play with nearly anyone..

alot of my skydiving hero's did it for me when i was on my back spinning like a top, i feel it's my obligation to return the favor...

and i will get on a 2-3 way tracking dive with ANYONE.... B|

Ive only jumped solo 4 times since I graduated from my AFF course, I hope one day if I ever actually have something to pass on that I to would do for others, that others have done for me in this sport.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this