quade

Land a WingSuit? Y'all gotta be kiddin' me.

How fast do motorcycle racers crash at and walk away? A better suit, a motorcycle helmet and leathers.....................I think someone will land a wingsuit and walk away uninjured in less than 6 years.
How many people would have believed a wing suit and a canopy could dock 6 years ago?
Hook

Ok,, how about ideal conditions with a modified wing suit and a board on, a long steep snow slope,, speed skiers hit what 160+ at the championsips,, and they decelerate by going up the other side a the valley,, sure the spot would have to be right on,, but I think that is gonna be the ticket for the first one,, damn wouldn't that be a rush...
and now,, for something completely different,,,

I've seen footage that wingsuit flyers can airbreak by pushing there arms and legs forewards (reversing the shape they would be in on there belly) so they wouldn't land on thee belly - just a thought (sounds more painful). Ive heard of respected wingmen doing this and decreasing speed incredibly, this combined with the reduced fall rate maybe you could land it. One guy said he felt he was near to doing this plus never gonna know unless you try. I think/know that eventually someone will find a way to do it, just as someone took intrest in parachutes and developed the sport into what it is today.

No this time ive got it, blemonge nice and light, fluffy full of air substance (and its got to be good for something other than cool messy food fights).
OR
A pit of beanbag balls (plus added to a little gasoline/ petrol- a transatlantic whatever- burn things like annoying skygods. when the po show there faces say its a ritual sacrafice engraved in the skydiving religion)- OR maybe not
Oh yeah BTW im lucky to be free, got morn call from po, found plantSS and light- oooppps. :S :)

My thoughts... It will be done in a few years...
But remember it has already been done... Remember Burt Lancaster (Gypsy Moths), did it a number of years ago. Others have landed wing suits. The list is long.
I think that the future wingsuit landings will be an improvement upon the landings of years past.
Chris

"I think someone will land a wingsuit and walk away uninjured in less than 6 years."
"Wanna put any money on that?"
Oh ye of little faith. :-)

When I started jumping, all the old timers who really knew the sport assured me that, although squares were nice, there would never be a square reserve. They were just too unreliable. And tandems were unheard of. And no one except Carl Boenish and a few crazies from California jumped with cameras. And speaking of Burt Lancaster, back then, they said something like the the Gypsy Moth suit was too dangerous to jump because the force on your arms would be too great. At least, that's what the old guys who knew what was going on in the sport said.
I don't even try and guess in what direction the sport might go in next. Why limit yourself?
flyhi;)
"To understand Mankind, you must look at its two root words; Mank and Ind."

last i knew the computing power on board the space shuttle was about 3 286 prosesors...i wonder if they upgraded them at all yet... i wonder what the shuttle could do with a few p4's in em running at 2.2 ghz......

"i may not go to heven, i hope you go to hell"-C.C.

>I think some of those guy claim they can get near 0 mph of descent, when
>pulling out of a dive. That would be about like flairing. But.. if they could actuallu
> do it, that moment of 0 mph decent is an awful small window.
The window is greatly extended by ground effect. Keep in mind that people are even now landing parachutes that will only plane out for a few seconds (even if, in those few seconds, you cover 200 yards.)
-bill von

>Not sure it will ever be possible, but another corny idea might be a nice, smooth
> as glass, lake.
Choppy lake, actually. As Quade mentioned, landing seaplanes on glassy water is hard for several reasons:
1. Glassy water is a lot "harder" than choppy water, and slows you down a lot more quickly.
2. It is absolutely impossible to judge your height over glassy water
Probably the ideal landing area would be a flat lake with enough wind to both slow down the landing and cause ripples on the surface.
-bill von

20mph down, 60 mph horisontally would not be the worst wipe out for downhill skiing. Will need a heck of a neck protection (HANS?) to do it on purpose. And a slippery suit with padding.
Speed skiers wiped at 100mph on 30 degree slopes. Same for distance jumpers (distance jumper has a pretty close speed parameters I would guess - and body position)
I wiped out at what I think was above 45 mph, after a longish jump. Walked away. Would not repeat it on purpose though - but some people will.
Taking into account GROUND EFFECT lift, that will improve last minute flare, if you approach a slope with perfectly matched incline, and allow for a controlled position on touchdown, it is curtainly survivable..
A bit of a gamble though..