Broke

A riggers wish

:(
I wish they knew how to read and understand the Owner's Manuals they get with their Containers, Main, Reserve and AAD.

I also wish they knew how to read and understand their packing data cards and "do the math" accurately to figure out when they're next due for a reserve repack and/or AAD Maintenance.

>:(
I also also wish that if they so choose to "pencil pack" their rigs that they NOT forge my signature if I happened to be the last rigger that inspected and repacked their reserve.

:)I also wish more of the ladies of our sport would be willing to get us "extra altitude" via the "traditional" means... :D

>:(
I also also wish that if they so choose to "pencil pack" their rigs that they NOT forge my signature if I happened to be the last rigger that inspected and repacked their reserve.

reply]

I agree 100% with you on this one!!!!
Joe

www.greenboxphotography.com

Not a rigger but I work for one and I stayed at a Holiday Inn once...

1. Wish that more "jumpers" knew the names of the gear components and not use terms like:
-Strings
-Thingamabobs
-Whatchyamacallit
-Doodads
-Gizmos

I once had a 1200 jump bozo ask me if I knew anything about an "Argus Cypres". WTF???

2. Wish that people could learn to RTFM.
"How do I turn my new Cypres on?"

3. Self-explanatory:
"My new rig is due for a re-pack, I think. Where's the secondary chute paper on it?"
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Ive heard some riggers say they wished racers were never invented.

I've heard that too, and think it's crazy talk. I like doing my Racer repacks... very easy, no brute force, no measuring closing loops, simple. I don't understand why some riggers complain or won't do them at all or charge more for them.

I'm with Pops though... I wish more people knew what the parts of their own rigs were, wish that they did their own 3 ring maintanance, wish they pulled their own handles prior to every repack, wish they asked more questions about their own gear, wish they packed their own mains from time to time, wish they understood the differences between their rigs and other rigs, etc.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I've talked to several jumpers who started around the same time I did, where I asked them, "What reserve do you have?"

The response from 3 of them: "I don't know."

Scary, scary, scary. How can you trust your last chance to an unknown like that?
T.I.N.S.

Or the woman with 300 jumps who asked her rigger what the faint round outline in her reserve container was. :S

NickD :)

At least she asked. Too many people don't.

I was going to say the same thing!

Anyway, for some reason this reminded me of the time way back when Sparky still jumped and he had a D-bag on his main that had only two locking stows and then the rest of the suspension line was stowed in a pocket on the side of the D-Bag. I was packing my trash next to Mikey at Perris one day, so I over-heard this as Sparky was stowing the lines on his main... some 100-jump wonder see's this set-up on Sparky's rig and what he's doing and stops him to say something like, "That's Dangerous! I wouldn't jump that!!"... without missing a beat, Sparky told the kid he'd better not ever dump his reserve then and went back to packing.

Just tought of another story too where this person manages to pop the pin on his main during the ride up and doesn't know it until he goes to stand-up and move towards the door and his D-bag falls out on the bench. His buddies stop him quickly and sit him back down saying something like, "Don't Move!! Sit Still!!! You're D-bag is out!!" I'm sure with much excitement going on. Anyway, to which, the guy says, "What's a D-bag???!!!???"

As a rigger i wish that jumpers would develop more respect for their own rig. Having respect for a rig means a lot of thing to me:
Respect means knowing your rig, having a 3 D view of it in your mind. Knowing how to name the parts of your rig. Knowing their function and where all parts are located when the canopy is deployed.
Respect is being witness at least once when your rigger repacks your reserve. Demonstate interest in the reserve packing by asking questions. After all, the "health" of your rig will influence also your own health-survival.
Respect is getting knowledgeable about what can affect your rig, reading technical bulletins, service bulletins from manufacturers.
Respect is taking the time to learn how to pack properly the main parachute. Respect is taking the time to do a good packing. Doing a good packing is saving a lot of time and money. A single jump including a bad packing can damage more your parachute more than a thousand jumps with good packings. A bad packing can make you lose your main and freebag/bridle/pilot chute assembly.
Respect is appreciation of your rigger, for his job and responsibilities and understand than 60-80$ for a reserve repack is not that much paid. I said it, your rigger has more responsibilities than your doctor, you should trust your rigger in a certain way more than your mother.
You think I am going too far. Could you imagine a high sea sailor on his sail boat ignoring certain parts of his boat, ignoring their function and not knowing how even to perform small emergency repair or not respecting his sail boat rigger and his advices ? Nobody will help him in case of trouble in the middle of the ocean of water just like a skydiver in trouble after opening in the ocean of air. Just yourself can help provided you know what to do and how to do it. But the best way is prevention, which means to me, respect of your own equipment as illustrated above.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Not a rigger but I work for one and I stayed at a Holiday Inn once...

1. Wish that more "jumpers" knew the names of the gear components and not use terms like:
-Strings
-Thingamabobs
-Whatchyamacallit
-Doodads
-Gizmos

I once had a 1200 jump bozo ask me if I knew anything about an "Argus Cypres". WTF???

2. Wish that people could learn to RTFM.
"How do I turn my new Cypres on?"

3. Self-explanatory:
"My new rig is due for a re-pack, I think. Where's the secondary chute paper on it?"

My all-time favorite was, an 'experienced' jumper, referred to his leg-straps as 'leggings'.:P

Chuck