skymama

I just tried to save an injured dog...

...but he didn't survive. :(:(:(

As I was on my way to work this morning, I came up to a busy state road that has a lot of semis, dump trucks and fast traffic. I crossed to the median and saw what I thought was a dead dog in the middle of the road that I was about to get on. Just as I started to maneuver around him, he lifted his head and looked at me! My heart started pounding and my hands shaking, I had to do something. I just couldn't leave the dog there half alive!

I pulled over and so did another guy across the street. I ran to the back of my Jeep, remembering that I always have a blanket in the car. Once people saw me standing there with the blanket, all the cars came to a stop and waited for us to load the dog in my car. He was still breathing when I put him in there, so I still had hope.

I rushed to a vet near my work and was thankful to find a man standing on the sidewalk to help me because the dog was kinda big. I think I really surprised him by yelling, "please help me carry a dog!" out my window as I drove up, but he sprang into action. The nurses in the office all saw us and were very willing to quickly start CPR on him, but by the time he got to the table they couldn't find a pulse and he seemed to have lost a lot of blood. They told me it was too late.

I was shaking and tearing up as I left, glad that I at least tried but wishing I could have done more. I wondered how long the dog had layed there. I was angry at the person who hit him and didn't even stop. I am pleased with the rest of the people who wanted to help...most people are still pretty kind-hearted these days. I'm glad that at least the dog quietly passed in the back of my car instead of possibly getting hit again out on the street while it was still alive.

I'm also sad for someone out there who is going to be missing their dog today, calling it and wondering why it isn't coming home.The dog had a collar on, but no tags. The vet is going to scan for a micro-chip, but I'm not too sure that too many people are doing that these days.

I'm really sad now. :(
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

:(

Oh thats so sad Andrea...

But you stopped to help him - he must have been so thankful someone offered to help him. Thats the best thign you could have done for him. So many people don't even stop [:/]

It breaks my heart to think of the animals torn from families by the storm... I want to hop on a plane and run down there and save them all :(

You did a good deed today - even if it didn't have the desired result. Helping the little creatures is a very noble act.

Jen
Arianna Frances

What an ordeal Andrea. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.:(

I'm completely exhausted and your post made me cry. I remember as a child looking for our dog, but we couldn't find him anywhere. One of the neighbors called to tell my mom that they find him on the road and moved him off to the side. :(
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

...she's a good-hearted woman....

Thanks to you and everyone who posted kind words. I think you all would have done the same thing. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You did as much as anyone could, and a lot more than most people would. Personally, I don't try to save wounded animals anymore after one dog bit me when I tried to help it. They are in pain and don't always know you're there to help. It takes courage to do what you did.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

You have brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad you were there to help the dog even though he/she didn't make it. You gave that dog some comfort in his/her's final minutes.

I have all my dogs chipped. That was the only comfort that I had in my heart when I almost lost Rose while at WFFC. It's a long story, but with a very happy ending. There was no way I was going to leave that state without Rose by my side.

Again Andrea, you are a wonderful person. As for the person who hit the dog, karma sucks.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'm really sad now. :(

Skymama, the poor guy spent his last few moments with someone that cared about his life.

I was driving home one night and passed by a possum that had been hit by a car. Not mine. It was alive but clearly had a broken spine and the rear of his body, hips and pelvis were crushed. It was dragging itself off the road using its front legs. Its mouth was open and it was panting and obviously in shock and great agony.

I knew there was nothing that I could do to save it, and also knew that if I got too close to it I would likely have been bitten. Even so I pulled off the road and walked near it and spoke softly to him and bore witness to his passing.

He didnt die anonymously without anyone caring about its life and I choose to believe that makes a difference.

It was a lone creature in the wild that was killed by some putz in a car
but it didnt die all alone with nobody caring about its life.

Neither did that dog, thanks to you.
__

My mighty steed

Bless you for that, Skymama.

I've hit small animals before, sometimes it's impossible to avoid them.... it's definitely a sickening feeling.

I'll keep my thoughts on people that would *deliberately* try to hit an animal to myself....>:(
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm sorry to hear that the dog didn't live. A few years ago I was getting ready for work and came out to the car, but noticed an animal laying in the street just off my driveway. It looked dead. I went out there, noticed it was a Chow/Labrador mix pup. It was breathing, but there was blood and excrement right next to it. I knew it was a stray because I'd seen it in a small pack of dogs roaming the area and they never let humans get close to them. My wife and I scooped it up into a box and took it to the vet. He said it hadn't broken any bones, but had some internal injuries. After several days, it seemed fine, but nobody had claimed it. So we picked it up and brought it home, setting it up in a bathroom with food and water. It was still a feral dog, no matter what we tried to do to befriend it. Finally 3 days later we set it up just outside the back door. A few hours later it had disappeared. Oh well...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It was alive but clearly had a broken spine and the rear of his body, hips and pelvis were crushed. It was dragging itself off the road using its front legs. Its mouth was open and it was panting and obviously in shock and great agony.

I knew there was nothing that I could do to save it, and also knew that if I got too close to it I would likely have been bitten. Even so I pulled off the road and walked near it and spoke softly to him and bore witness to his passing.

That was very good of you to do, and likely all you could. It'd be nice if we could carry around doses of sodium pentobarbital for such occasions, though I'm not sure how safely we could administer it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

You did as much as anyone could... and much more than many would.

I'm sure the pup was releaved to have passed in the comfort of your car and company instead of spending it's last moments on the hard pavement, not sure if he/she would be hit again.

You have a warm heart mama. And you done good. :)

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!