pre7117

SKYDIVING FOR A LIVING

No you can NOT make a decent living. Think about health benefits. Oh yea there are none. How about the retirement? Not one of those either. If you get hurt, no money. If the weather is bad, no money. Do you really want to haul meat (be a tandem master) all your life? Skydiving is fun, but I just don't see how people make it their sole source of income. These people have a disease, as they let skydiving engulf their entire life. It's an addiction, and just like smoking you can quite it. So do yourself a favor, and go and get a college degree, or if you have one get another one, and don't let skydiving absorb you.:|

You need to define comfortable living.

Well, being able to have a house and a decent car and some money in my pocket to be able to take the old lady out.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Oh. My side.

mmmm. Yes you can be comfortable, but it takes a while. If you have a strong stomach and like van, truck or tent life, you'll do fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I was wondering if you could live good just off the money made off skydiving. I see a lot of people do it but is it a comfortable life or just a day to day meager existance

I heard a joke one time from an AFF/Tandem Instructor.

Q: What's the difference between a pizza and a skydiving instructor?

A: A pizza can feed a family of four.

Walt

I would think those who work in skydiving AND jump get more easily burned out; dude find yourself a real job!:P ( not meant to offend those who work in skydiving--I'm sure it's very hard work!!--just trying to talk some sense into this guy);)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I would think those who work in skydiving AND jump get more easily burned out; dude find yourself a real job!

At this time I have my own business and was planning on selling and retiring. I see a lot of guys who work in skydiving and thought it might be a good way to keep me busy. I would have a good nest egg to back me up if it was needed.

HELLFISH 429
POPS 11113

inreply to "I was wondering if you could live good just off the money made off skydiving. I see a lot of people do it but is it a comfortable life or just a day to day meager existance "

The pay is peanuts and they've got monkeys.:)

The fact a full time skydiving instructor can't make a decent living has bothered me for a long time. Instructing is one of the most important aspects of this sport. Even as we watch the accident rate climb we are still in the Stone Age as far as how Instructors are treated.

Being a part time skydiving Instructor, which for so many is the only way to go about it, is just wrong. How many of you would seek the advice of a part time doctor?

DZOs have been sucking off the work of good Instructors for far too long, Instructors who gave up family life, ate Top Raman noodles, and lived in their cars to do what they loved and were good at doing. Every year we lose too many of these experienced Instructors who give up the profession in frustration, only to be replaced with less experienced Instructors, and that's what keeps the level of teaching from steadily growing.

I taught skydiving almost my entire adult life, I slept under a lot of packing tables, always drove a car that was falling apart, and it was the happiest time of my life. But, those days are gone. You can't survive these days doing it that way. Yet, we are still essentially asking today's Instructors to do the same thing . . .

The general lack of support for Instructors is a problem of perception. Ninety percent of the people that Instructors interact with don’t stay with the sport and aren’t around later to sing their praises. It's the reason we tend to forget how good most Instructors really are, while we endlessly hear about some load organizer who's the best thing since sliced bread.

Sure, I know many DZs are shoestring operations, but there is no reason the larger and more successful one can’t pay a living and ever increasing wage to their Instructors with benefits. And I also think an Instructor with twenty years experience should make more money than another with a month's worth of experience. I've seen many good instructors who put student safety first, bypassed or fired by DZO's in favor of younger Instructors who aren't so careful, or are too afraid to speak up.

I'm not picking on Perris, but by way of example, they didn’t go out and buy a wind tunnel and a DC-9 with the money earned on up-jumpers . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Devil's advocate and an honest question from a (relative) newbie...

Do you believe every instructor *wants* to do it full-time? Or do they instruct part-time so that they don't burn out on the sport? I would be willing to bet there are probably quite a few people who would gladly give up their "real" jobs to work in the sport full time (and I know many have). But I wonder if there are not just as many who have maintained their non-skydiving jobs in order to maintain balance in their lives.

I, personally, would rather be taught by a part-time instructor who still truly loved the sport and instructing than by a full-time instructor who had burned out.

(I don't necessarily disagree with you that instructors are underpaid, though).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I don't agree with the premise that Instructors burn out teaching students as much as they burn out on working for "beer and gas money" wages and from a general lack of respect from the skydiving community at large.

Being an Instructor is full of positive re-enforcement from sending students home happy after a first jump or stewarding others through a full course and seeing them go on to be good skydivers.

The only problem is you can’t eat positive re-enforcement.

NickD :)BASE 194

Cheers Nick ...good to hear an experienced voice of reason.
:|
As to the burn out issue that'd only be because these dedicated types get severely overworked trying to maintain decent standards.

A major problemo apears to be that there is always a ready supply of less experienced people who are prepared to do the job for lower pay and conditions for a short while thereby sabotaging the more experienced and dedicated professionals who truly deserve a better rate of pay.

In other industries this 'scab labour' problem has sometimes been resolved with union activity or guild type protections. Mention this type of protection in skydiving world and you're booed of the stage by the DZO minions who happily stand in line to pick up any crumbs available.

In the skydiving industry the transient nature of a lot of the participants heavily affects the employment dynamics . Some of these characteristics are very simialr to what happens in certain illegal substance distribution networks...ie a ready supply of addicted people who'll do anything for a free hit.

Skydiving as a potentially profound sporting activity deserves to attract the best professional trainers and standard bearers possible. Other industries have proven this can only happen if the pay matches the talent.
:)

Personally, I think unionisation would have a disasterous effect on skydiving. Price would be way too cost prohibitive. . .if you can unionize this type of recreation.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Too many enthusiastic amateurs are willing to work for free.
That is one of the reasons that I don't do outside video. Handy-Mount pays the same wages for far less wear and tear on my gear.

The best professionals hold a variety of ratings. That is the only way to stay fully employed.
For example: last week I dropped: static-line, IAD, first freefall, PFF and tandem students. I also repacked 29 reserves and sold a bunch of Handy-Mount videos.
I admit to being a coward. I learned to sew so that I could hide behind a sewing machine when all the other jumpers are whining about the weather.