ccowden

Megadeth or Metallica?

Mustain did well but still holds such disdain for his old mates. As was pointed to tho... early Metallica is far better than what they do now. Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are classic. Dont know if I really get the entire Monster thing they are doing now... and i miss Jason on base.

Yeah, I dig some Metallica, but which one we talking bout?

I dig some Megadeth too... but if I had to choose I guess it would be Metallica.

This is from my AFF Level 6... jumpmaster asks "Hey Les, what song is playing through your head right now?"

I said, "Metallica" "Enter Sandman".... Funny as hell, just gotta see the vid... I sound like a little girl...:D

Old Metallica or new Metallica?

See, not so simple. :P

Or the newest, cleaned-up, quasi speed metal Metallica sans guitar solos that is slightly under produced to give it a rough sound (compared to the over produced albums in recent years)?

The years have gone by, but both band still exist. Metallica has changed quite a bit. Megadeth is very much the same. So, my question takes into account the changes or lack of. Which band do you like better? Take everything into account.

I had the same follow-up question, so I answered based on their music careers as a whole. Taking that into account I voted Megadeth. They've always maintained the same formula... even if it's been hit-or-miss at times.

What I found odd was that in "Some Kind of Monster" Dave still seemed obsessed with getting booted out of Metallica and didn't give himself any credit for what he did with Megadeth.

Their musicianship is top-notch and his lyrics are wonderfully cynical and a helluva lot more intelligent than anything Metallica ever put out.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Slayer
Testament
Lamb of God
Throwdown
Biohazard

Slayer IS the shizzle.

They're another band that maintained the same formula throughout. And they'll still destroy any other band that shares a stage with them.

- Z

I had the same follow-up question, so I answered based on their music careers as a whole. Taking that into account I voted Megadeth. They've always maintained the same formula... even if it's been hit-or-miss at times.

What I found odd was that in "Some Kind of Monster" Dave still seemed obsessed with getting booted out of Metallica and didn't give himself any credit for what he did with Megadeth.

Their musicianship is top-notch and his lyrics are wonderfully cynical and a helluva lot more intelligent than anything Metallica ever put out.

Exactly how I wanted the question answered and I couldn't agree more about Megadeth. Heck, Metallica's best album was WITH Mustaine. IMO.

Did Kill 'em all have mustaine on it?

IIRC all but a couple of songs were songs that Mustaine wrote/co-wrote. But he was kicked out before they actually recorded the album.

- Z

my vote is for MetallicA. while it is true that their sound has changed over the years... so what? after some time you just need to find something else that suits your fancy. i mean these guys are married and have kids, you can't expect them to keep preaching death and torment and stuff like that. i find that metal heads are very anti-change, especially when it comes to a change which is away from the regular metal sound to something more melodic or softer, like MetallicA. i absolutely loved MOP, RTL, and AJFL, but there are a few songs on the more recent stuff which i find myself singing along to now and then. i attribute that to being open-minded and not necessarily branding anything different as "sell out pussy shit".

megadeth, on the other hand, has had a lot of good stuff and has continued to keep generally the same audience. good for them. i, unfortunately, never really found a liking to them. eh, just a personal opinion.

and that's my $0.02 for the day >:(

my vote is for MetallicA. while it is true that their sound has changed over the years... so what? after some time you just need to find something else that suits your fancy. i mean these guys are married and have kids, you can't expect them to keep preaching death and torment and stuff like that. i find that metal heads are very anti-change, especially when it comes to a change which is away from the regular metal sound to something more melodic or softer, like MetallicA. i absolutely loved MOP, RTL, and AJFL, but there are a few songs on the more recent stuff which i find myself singing along to now and then. i attribute that to being open-minded and not necessarily branding anything different as "sell out pussy shit".

megadeth, on the other hand, has had a lot of good stuff and has continued to keep generally the same audience. good for them. i, unfortunately, never really found a liking to them. eh, just a personal opinion.

and that's my $0.02 for the day >:(

I dont think metallica was ever one of those bands to preach "death and torment". My opinion is that is what people assumed based on the sound of their music.

As far as them selling out. I find it comical how they always preached they would NEVER make a video because they didnt want to be viewed as sellouts. Next thing you know they are right up there with N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys on the TRL countdown;)

Mustaine was never really credited with "Kill 'em All" but he had a hand in most of it and was certainly one of the driving influences to the music. The actual album was realeased after Kirk joined. But I consider it a Mustaine album.

If anyone saw Metallicas last "Making Of" DVD then you see James making amends with Mustaine during his recovery. Anyone who knows anything about recovery knows that one of the steps is to make amends with those you have wronged. Mustaine was the first person James wanted to see so I guess James even feels that he "screwed" Mustaine.:|

you can't expect them to keep preaching death and torment and stuff like that.

If you listen to the lyrics you'll find that particularly in Megadeth's case they're more political than death metal. Same for Slayer.

I remember when the PMRC were having their big inquisition and they focused on Slayer's "Mandatory Suicide" as somehow promiting suicide. I thought "did you even LISTEN to the lyrics"? It's not about suicide, it's about WAR you idiots.

i find that metal heads are very anti-change

Not true. I get bored with the same old thing as much as anyone and I'm always looking for new and interesting stuff. I'm way into SOAD, Otep, Linkin Park, Ministry, Green Day, Stone Sour, Mushroomhead, Primus... just to name a few... as well.

Thing is, Metallica changed their sound and it SUCKED. If BandX had come out with any of the post Black Album (I actually like a few cuts off of the BA) crap I'd never buy their CD.

- Z

I remember when the PMRC were having their big inquisition and they focused on Slayer's "Mandatory Suicide" as somehow promiting suicide. I thought "did you even LISTEN to the lyrics"? It's not about suicide, it's about WAR you idiots.

What I got a kick out of was how the PMRC focused on bands like Ratt, Poison, Cinderella and shit like that when there were bands like Cannibal Corpse running around. Their stupid ass priorities were all out of whack.

What I got a kick out of was how the PMRC focused on bands like Ratt, Poison, Cinderella and shit like that

I think the wives were just jealous of their hair. :D

when there were bands like Cannibal Corpse running around

Or Venom. :o

- Z

Mustain did well but still holds such disdain for his old mates. As was pointed to tho... early Metallica is far better than what they do now. Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are classic. Dont know if I really get the entire Monster thing they are doing now... and i miss Jason on base.

See the Movie "Some Kind Of Monster" on DVD. If you are a Metallica fan like me you will love it. The best part was watching Lars eat crow for all he has said over the years about Dave and apologized to him on film. Looks like the bridges have been mended (but still some potholes).

Heck, Metallica's best album was WITH Mustaine. IMO

They never put out an album with mustaine did they? Did Kill 'em all have mustaine on it??

No Life Till Leather. an Ep.

none of the other bands listed would be who/where they are without Metallica.

the new shit? might as well call them Poppica.. there is no metal in it... the didnt 'musically evolve' they sold the fuck out..

fuck Jason, I miss Cliff.