gemini

Spaceland vs Hurricane Rita

Galveston will announce at 1:30 PM Monday whether or not to start a voluntary evacuation at 5PM Tuesday and a mandatory evacuation at 5PM Wednesday. Galveston or Freeport (25 mi South of Spaceland) are projected as the primary landfall for Rita. Spaceland is currently making plans for the hurricane.

:(:(:(

Blue skies,

Jim

Need a place to put some Otters??;)

I didn't know you could bend over and stretch it that far!! :ph34r::ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I'm really not worried about storm damage to much where I live in Houston. I am more worried about street flooding from the rain and the utilities being out for extended periods. Personally I'm a bit concerned with this one. All the storm tracks this year have been on the mark. So I'm watching and listening to the info they're giving much more closely then I used to. Though I am not going to evacuate.

Houston is 45mi inland, plus 95% of it is above sea level by many feet. So storm surge this far north shouldn't be to bad. Street flooding and flash flooding in some parts of the city will be enormous problems. TS Allison did a number on us back in 01` just with her rains.

I am worried about my coastal friends and communities. I have you all in my thoughts.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Last week, I watched a documentary on the 1900 hurricane that devastated Galveston. That one took very much the same path as Rita is taking right now. One meteorologist on The Weather Channel mentioned that Rita could hit as a category 3 or 4. Keep an eye on it, you guys...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

For those of you who do not know where Spacey is located, attached is a map showing Houston, Spacey (red star), Galveston and Freeport.

Galveston is less than 12 feet above sea level at its highest point.

Note that a storm surge into Galveston Bay could flood the Eastern part of Houston which is primarily industial, but also includes a lot of older, poorer neighborhoods. Areas like Clear Lake which houses the NASA Johnson Space Center (Mission Control) could also be badly hurt.

I also know that the BP, Exxon, Shell, ConocoPhillips, and Citgo refineries make gasoline and are immediately adjacent to the ship channel or Galveston Bay.

If the port closes due to ship channel or Galveston damage, look for another big spike in gasoline prices. :(:(:(

Blue skies,

Jim

ya Jim if the refineries in the Houston Gulf Coast area are effected.. Gas prices will spike $5 a gallon easy. That number is just an assumtion. Could be higher depending on the capasicty effected.

If anyone needs a couch to crash on away from the Gulf I have one available, as well as some floor room..just bring a blanket/pillow. Those of you who live out at Spaceland know how to get ahold to me (Either PM or call my cell)...If you are told to head inland...feel free to head my way.

I have no problem evacuating myself and my daughter. I don't know what to do with my 4 large dogs.[:/]

Well if I lived closer, you could bring them here. There is always room for more. Educate me please, if they are giving you enough time to get out of there, why can't you take the dogs?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Sept. 19, 2005, 2:47PM

Galveston asks residents to leave
By KEVIN MORAN and RHEA DAVIS
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

GALVESTON - With the National Hurricane Center's official forecast naming Galveston as Rita's most likely Gulf Coast target later this week, island officials are calling for a voluntary evacuation and considering a mandatory evacuation.

Activating its emergency management plan this afternoon, Galveston asked residents to voluntarily leave in preparation of Rita, which is a tropical storm now but is expected to strengthen into a hurricane this afternoon. By the time it hits the Gulf Coast on Saturday morning, it is likely to be a Category 3 hurricane.

"It could hit anywhere in the window of Brownsville and New Orleans,” said Lance Wood, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. "The Houston area is in the center of that window."

“It would be wise for everyone on the Texas and Louisiana coast to pay attention and watch this storm,” he said.

Galveston's evacuation is to begin at 2 p.m. Tuesday if the weather forecast holds, but five-day forecasts are often off by hundreds of miles. Galveston officials are likely to decide whether a mandatory evacuation is warranted by Wednesday.

Galveston City Manager Steve LeBlanc warned that those who stay will be on their own in the event Rita hits, since the police and fire departments will not operate during such a storm. But he also said police don't plan to drag anyone out of Galveston even if the evacuation order becomes mandatory.

"If there are people who are unwilling to leave, we're not going to go pry them out of their households," LeBlanc said.

Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas urged residents to fill up their gas tanks and gather essentials such as a three-month supply of medicine in addition to identification, deeds, insurance policies and other important papers. She said those who need transportation should call 409-797-3710.

Galveston is lining up over 80 buses to take out evacuees starting at 10 a.m. Wednesday and running through 2 p.m. Friday. They will leave from the island's community center at 4700 Broadway, using buses from the city, school district and Houston Metropolitan Transit Authority. Volunteers will drive the buses and will be allowed to bring their families.

Taking a lesson from Hurricane Katrina victims in New Orleans who refused to abandon their pets, Galveston officials have decided to let residents bring their pets on the buses as long as they're in cages. Pet owners can call 409-763-8477 to make arrangments.

Bed-ridden Galveston residents will be evacuated by Emergency Medical Services. To make arrangements, call 409-938-2424.

Galveston UTMB plans to decide by Tuesday whether to begin some sort of evacuation and will post information on its website at www.utmb.edu.

Rita comes on the heels of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated the Louisiana coast three weeks ago and revealed the serious inadequacy of Gulf Coast evacuation plans.

At a town hall meeting called in response to Katrina, Galveston officials said there's work to be done before they can assure that everyone who wants a ride out of town will get one.

Today Galveston County Judge Jim Yarborough urged residents to take responsibility for their safety.

"Government can't do better than you can do for yourselves," he said.

But he also urged calm.

"Folks, we've down these roads before," he said. "There's no reason to panic."

Blue skies,

Jim

In a way it's lucky for the Houston area that NO had such a bad experience. Regardless of what happens, this will be a good test of real evacuation I hope.

I have friends who stayed in Galveston during Alicia (category 3, 1983). The mayor did not order an evacuation. They said they were never so scared in their lives. Being from southern Australia, they didn't have a lot of family lore about hurricanes...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You rolling out or flying out. I've been contacted by two flight schools to assist in relocating aircraft in the event it appears Rita makes land fall in Houston.

Family first, I'll relocate the C-210 with the family.

The RV-7A is not ready to fly guess my buddy Rusty will have to trailer it up north out of the way.

TO OUR BUDS AT SPACELAND

we have a 4 bedroom ,3 bathroom home. empty since the children are grown. anyone need a safe place to evacuate to come on over.
yes its a 12 hr. drive but safe and we have a big fenced yard so pets are welcome also

just pm for directions and local airport is aviable for parking jump planes.

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

Lastest storm models attached. Red line is a direct hit on Galveston and Houston (and maybe the green and yellow predictions as well).

Thanks to everyone for offers of safe harbor. We have 5 days so will make decisions on Wednesday.

This really sucks, especially for all the Louisiana folks who are here and may have to go through it again.

Blue skies,

Jim

In a way it's lucky for the Houston area that NO had such a bad experience. Regardless of what happens, this will be a good test of real evacuation I hope.

I have friends who stayed in Galveston during Alicia (category 3, 1983). The mayor did not order an evacuation. They said they were never so scared in their lives. Being from southern Australia, they didn't have a lot of family lore about hurricanes...

Wendy W.

I had a friend, he is dead now but not from Alicia, and he stayed in his beach house on Burmuda beach during Alicia.........he said he had never experienced anything like that before! :D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"