gemini

Spaceland vs Hurricane Rita

i would recommend also to get out the board games (scrabble, pictionary), jenga, or playing cards. if you guys are without power for more than a day or so, it will get BOOOOOOOOORING!

and pre-pop some popcorn. :)

in all seriousness, be safe and check in afterwards..

Ooh! Good tip - will do. Thanks!

Any more? :)

Stock up on ALL vices before the storm hits.:D

Well, I managed to secure a case and a half of beer last night... I'll go back for more tonight... :D

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

remember

if you use candles for light fire haz.
no grilling(cooking) inside
stay safe
looting .. have a gun ,and know how and when to use it

pack a BOB bug out bag
wood ,water meds, change of cloths socks ets in case you haver to flee

have CASH as atm,bank ,phone lines down

stay safe

it is better to ride away now than later become part of the problem

DO NOT DEPEND ON OUTHERS FOR YOUR SAFETY

ITS UP TO YOU

please stay safe

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

if ure not familiar with a gun, ure better off not having one. Keep your knives and golf clubs. Might be a good chance to go practise ure swings too.

AND keep your cell phones with some spare batts. It'll be useful AFTER the hurricane strikes. A lil technology never did hurt anyone. Light sticks are good. Marking out places and stuff.

hmm well a couple of land mines.. some rifles and grenades.. oh wait. we're waiting out a hurricane, not a war. =)
When you come close to losing your life, you learn to value it.
I jumped, I survived, I learnt.

I don't know if it was posted before, I'll post it now. Fill every bathtub with water. Ya never know when it will come in handy.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't know if it was posted before, I'll post it now. Fill every bathtub with water. Ya never know when it will come in handy.

Wendy W.

Don't forget to clean your tubs good beforehand! :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have gun - you can come ride the storm out with us if you like.....and I know you are in Heights - silly girl!!!! :)

I knew you know, but I didn't know who else knows, so it was for clarification. ;)

Tell you what, we're most likely going to be hanging at our place, just to keep an eye on everything, and stay with the pets, but I will keep you on speed dial.

If we lose power first, we're heading over! (With beer and pets in tow...is a kitty in a cage OK?) And if you lose power first, my place is open to you.

Here's my next question: My friend only has a land line, no cell phone. Would the phone lines likely go out with the power? I'm advising her to buy a cheap go-phone.

Opinions?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

All of that works for me....not sure about land lines - I don't have one...;)

I know! We got rid of ours ages ago! I didn't think anyone still didn't own a cell (except the Luddites).

Any more?

From my experiences in FL last year, prepare for electricity failure.

Purchase as many bags of ice as your fridge and coolers will hold. When the hurricane starts to bear down, transfer any drinks and perishables you would like to drink and eat to the cooler. Put some of the ice bags in the refrigerator side. If your freezer isn't very full, freeze Tupperware containers with water and freeze them. Move items out of the doors. If you lose power, this will help you save your perishables if the power isn't out for too long. Most important: don't open the fridge doors once the power goes out!

Fill up your car with gas and get a wad of cash from the ATM. If you lose power, gas stations and ATM's won't function.

Set out the candles and flashlights that you will need in each room while the electricity is still on instead of fumbling in the dark.

Have plenty of stuff to keep you occupied, it gets really boring without electricity.

Buy lots of batteries and have a battery powered radio ready to go for updates on the storm.

Bring in anything from outside that could possibly fly through a window.

Store your important papers in a ziploc bag. I stored that and my rig in my dryer. I knew the dryer probably wouldn't fly away and if the roof got a hole, the chance that the papers would still be dry is pretty good in the dryer.

Fill your washing machine and all tubs with water. It may be the only clean water you'll have. Use baby wipes for "baths".

Buy plastic plates and utensils to use.

If you are unable to flush your toilets, you should be able to scoop water from the tub to do it. Also, if you have something like a 5 gallon bucket, you can use that for a toilet and also line it with grocery store plastic bags for waste.

If you are worried about flooding, place as many things from the floor that you can up on tables, sofas, beds, etc.

When the storm gets close, turn your a/c down really low. If the electricity goes out, at least the house will stay cooler longer that way.

That's all I can think of right now. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Here's my next question: My friend only has a land line, no cell phone. Would the phone lines likely go out with the power? I'm advising her to buy a cheap go-phone.

I couldn't use my cell phone in any of the hurricanes because the towers went down. The only thing that would work was my land line. (edit: that's a regular old-fashioned phone, not a cordless. The cordless won't work without power)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I couldn't use my cell phone in any of the hurricanes because the towers went down. The only thing that would work was my land line.

Well shit. Looks like we're the ones who are screwed. :|

ditto what andrea said. we learned alot after the first couple came thru last year.

if you have ziploc bags, fill them with tap water and freeze them. but use the freezer bags cuz the cheap ones leaked more frequently and you'll end up with an inch of ice in the bottom. :D these will help keep your frozen stuff longer, but it can also be used for drinking water.

if you can cook some food now and freeze it, do that. spaghetti sauce, chili, shit like that. cook it, then freeze it in individual serving sizes so if the power goes out, then you can just thaw it out and eat it if you have no heat source.

have a cooler ready for use too. stuff like drinks or fruits or whatever can be kept there so you minimize the times you open your fridge. you lose soooo much cooling that way after the power's out.

use containers to catch rain water and use that for toilet flushing if the water is out.

use disposible (paper plates, cups, utensils) because if really is a pain trying to wash dishes without running water.

buy some of those face cleanser wipe things.

oh yeah, those hanging shower bags (camping thing) would be nice to have too.

good luck...

Should I have a gun?

Yes, you should have a gun(s).

Weapon retention can become an issue (...i.e., he/she takes it off of you). Once you show the weapon, use the weapon. 10-20 feet away, 2 shots in the body, then 1 in the head. Just do it.

Then, find someone with hungry pigs, or a big septic tank.
We are all engines of karma

Considering I'm not trained, licensed or permitted, I'm thinking gun-acquisition is gonna be a low priority on the supplies list. [:/]

Anybody wants to take something, they can have it.

[:/]

Geez, I hope it doesn't come to that.