Chrissay

What's the BEST MP3 player?

I know this has been posted in the past, but nothing on it recently.

Just wondering what you all out there are using for MP3 player? I had a MPIO, but apparently somehow this summer I broke it.
I am not really a big fan of the iPOD, I have never owned one, but they seem overpriced? Are they worth the price?
I am looking for something to hold a bunch of songs, ~500ish. Good battery life would be great. I don't care to much for any optional extras, unless it would make my MP3 player do tricks :P

So, what is everyone using out there and what do you recommend??
I NEED a MP3 player for my trip to Bridge Day!!!

When I checked the market a couple of months ago I ended up buying an iPod mini, because it was the cheapest. When you compare the price per GB to other players it actually comes out pretty favourable.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Just wondering what you all out there are using for MP3 player? I had a MPIO, but apparently somehow this summer I broke it.
I am not really a big fan of the iPOD, I have never owned one, but they seem overpriced? Are they worth the price?
I am looking for something to hold a bunch of songs, ~500ish. Good battery life would be great. I don't care to much for any optional extras, unless it would make my MP3 player do tricks :P

I LOVE my Dell Dj. It is the first generation. Slightly bigger but the battery last 20 hours. I have 1900 songs and 10 gigs to go. I don't know how good the new, slimmer (and smaller battery) is, but it is cheaper than an iPod.

Dell DJ
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I personally HATE the ipods and cant see why they are so popular.

They will not play WMA files, you are FORCED to use iTunes, You have to jump through hoops if you want to directly access the devise. The Batteries can’t be easily replaced (Designed Obsolescence).

Other generic Players cost less, have more features, will play more file types and let you access the devise as a Jump drive for MUCH easier file management.

I have an Ipod Mini (4gb) and about 80gb of music so I am constantly trying to move files around on the ipod. Take some off and put others on. IT would be so much easier if I could just access the devise, see the files on there, delete the ones I no longer want and add the new ones. Instead I have to use iTunes and deal with all that Playlist and Library crap. I guess I am too old school. Show me the Files, Let me deal with them.

Also I bought (Totally Legally) several song from Napster. Not realizing at the time that they were Rights Managed WMA files. The will not play on an iPod and cannot be converted to another format because they are Rights Managed. Royal Pain in the ASS.

Buy a Generic MP3 player that can also be used as a Jump Drive, you can replace the Battery if it ever dies and Plays all common file types.

I have a iRiver 1Gb flash memory player that I was well satisfied with until it got too small for my collection... now I have a Rio Carbon 5Gb that I'm also well satisfied with. Both were under $200 as I recall...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Riddle me this batman, why would I want an MP3 player when I can't even pick a song directly from the list? I think the Shuffle is a gimmick that is going to be around for exactly the next 5 minutes, especially with the next gen of Ipods coming out. Of course I could be wrong....

You know that the shuffle doesn't just randomly play tracks and that you can just pick from a list right :P

As for ipod forcing you to use Itunes thats just not true, look around the web for the alternatives.

Personally love my ipaq, but its not really just an mp3 player.

BOOM Headshot

I have a iRiver 1Gb flash memory player that I was well satisfied with until it got too small for my collection... now I have a Rio Carbon 5Gb that I'm also well satisfied with. Both were under $200 as I recall...

I was just checking out some reviews on this one. It is looking pretty good except for the durability. Some complaints about just simply dropping the player and it breaks. Anyone else have any experience with it? I am hard on my electronics apparently since I have already gone through one MP3 player so it looks like I need durability! :S

I was on the site a few weeks ago where a guy ran a stress test on the Nano. The thing was taken through the rigors, everything from dropping from a chair at an elevation of three feet to getting driven over by a car! IT STILL WORKED!!! To completely break it they had to drop it from a 4 story bulding. That's why I think this whole thing about people getting upset by the screen getting scratched is just a smear campaign.

They will not play WMA files, you are FORCED to use iTunes, You have to jump through hoops if you want to directly access the devise. The Batteries can’t be easily replaced (Designed Obsolescence).

Other generic Players cost less, have more features, will play more file types and let you access the devise as a Jump drive for MUCH easier file management.

I have an Ipod Mini (4gb) and about 80gb of music so I am constantly trying to move files around on the ipod. Take some off and put others on. IT would be so much easier if I could just access the devise, see the files on there, delete the ones I no longer want and add the new ones. Instead I have to use iTunes and deal with all that Playlist and Library crap. I guess I am too old school. Show me the Files, Let me deal with them.

While I tend to use MP3 format over ACC, in spite of ACC being higher quality per MB, I find iTunes to be the easiest interface to organise my music I have ever come across. Primarily because it does just show me the files and let's me do what I want with them. The smart playlists are incredibly convenient, and a huge timesaver.

That's not to say that there is no room for improvement with iTunes, but it is far better than any other media playing software I have used, including Windows Media Player.

As for which player? I prefer my iBook, as I could pretty easily fill a 250GB hard drive with mp3 files, so an iPod would be way too small.

I must admit, though, the Nano looks tempting for a short playlist, with the right form factor.

I personally HATE the ipods and cant see why they are so popular.

Bullshit. I've never used iTunes with my iPod. I use a freeware program called ephPod, and Music Match jukebox works with it as well.

For ease of use, amazing user interface, and just plain functionality, nothing beats an iPod. The damn thing just works. ;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I was just checking out some reviews on this one. It is looking pretty good except for the durability. Some complaints about just simply dropping the player and it breaks. Anyone else have any experience with it? I am hard on my electronics apparently since I have already gone through one MP3 player so it looks like I need durability! :S

Which one? I've dropped both and neither have broken. I have heard of people dropping the Rio "just right" and breaking the volume wheel. That's the main gripe I've read about them.

If you don't mind changing your playlist every so often, the iRiver flash MP3 players are great - no hard drive to worry about crashing, MUCH better on battery life (my iRiver would play about 20 hours on a single AA battery) and they tend to be even smaller than hard drive based players.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I find iTunes to be the easiest interface to organize my music I have ever come across. Primarily because it does just show me the files and let's me do what I want with them.

But it is your ONLY choice. It is the Typical Apple "We will think for you" attitude.

That's not to say that there is no room for improvement with iTunes, but it is far better than any other media playing software I have used, including Windows Media Player.

I dont necessarily disagree but why have to use any Music Management software??
I have 1000`s of MP3 files in a Folder on my Hard drive, Why not just let me drag and drop the ones I want onto the MP3 Player? Why cant I Plug in my Ipod and look at what songs are on it and delete the ones I dont want? Why have to deal iTunes at all?

As for the person that suggested the Shuffle???
Talk about a BAD Joke. For less money you buy a generic MP3 Player that is the same size, Cost less, Holds More, Has a Display, Allows you CHOOSE (something that Apple hates) your songs, Built-in voice recorder, built in FM receiver, allows you to record from the Radio, Plays WMA Format and works with any software.

I guess PT Barnum was Correct.. There really is one born ever minute.

I cant think of a single advantage an iPod has over other MP3 Players other than it was marketed better.

I have an Ipod mini and a Zen Micro.
The Zen is FAR superior to the Ipod. No software to use - just drag and drop. No Itunes and incompatible music formats. FM radio that actually works quite well. 1gig more memory. External replaceable battery. Comes with an AC charger (didn't need to buy something extra to not have to plug into a computer to recharge, which is great on vacation). AND cheaper to boot.

Bill Gates has been quoted as saying MP3 players will be gone in the near future. They will be incorporated in to cell phones, which you always have with you anyway. Food for thought.

Yeap, I brought my wife a Nano and it's really sweet. The only down side that I've found, is that it does not come with a charger (we dont always have access to a computer to charge from a USB port, on the move) so I had to buy a seperate unit for another 20quid.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

iPod - good and bad. I have a Mini - the nano is pretty impressive. Like everything Apple, the hardware is VERY nice and has a good "feel". iTunes sucks, IMO, and you are required to use it with iPod. There are a few alternatives out there, but they don't work so well. Also, you can NOT transer iPod songs back to your computer - it's a one way street. So if, like me, your hard drives fails, you are stuck with the songs on your iPod, and can't get them back to the new hard drive. Why, you may ask? Well, this is Apple's concession to the RIAA, they think it will prevent people from illegal song-swapping. Yet another example of corporate special-interest ruining otherwise good technology.

Also I bought (Totally Legally) several song from Napster. Not realizing at the time that they were Rights Managed WMA files. The will not play on an iPod and cannot be converted to another format because they are Rights Managed. Royal Pain in the ASS.

To be fair - you have to blame M$ for this, not Apple - this is THEIR concession to the RIAA.

Bill Gates has been quoted as saying MP3 players will be gone in the near future. They will be incorporated in to cell phones, which you always have with you anyway. Food for thought.

For once, I agree with Bill. Already, several cell phones contain built-in MP3 players. And digital cameras are already seeing a hit to low-end camera sales, because people are just using the built-in cameras on cell phones. Only a matter of time before MP3 players are history. Just get a cell phone with it built-in, and it's one less thingy in your pocket.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I've never used iTunes with my iPod. I use a freeware program called ephPod, and Music Match jukebox works with it as well.

Like I said.. Jump through Hoops.

I have 2 other MP3 Players now. Plug them in, They show as a Drive. Do what you want.

MUCH easier.

I agree. Everyone has bought into the "iPod is so cool" idea they ignore all its little idiosycracies so much that eventually they just accept them as "normal" and "easy". I actually saw a lady caressing her iPod on the metro yesterday. It is insane.

My Dell DJ is similar. I cannot just plug it in as a drive..though it does use Dell Explorer which is directly integrated with Windows Explorer.. But for me, it does what I want and I really bought it for one reason: 20 hour battery life. Plus, replacing the lithium ion battery is easier when ever it finally dies.

But si nce the new Dell does not have the battery life, next time, I will be getting something that is more plug and play for sure. This thing is pretty tough so that will probably be a while though.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I've never used iTunes with my iPod. I use a freeware program called ephPod, and Music Match jukebox works with it as well.

Like I said.. Jump through Hoops.

I have 2 other MP3 Players now. Plug them in, They show as a Drive. Do what you want.

MUCH easier.

My iPod shows up as a drive on all of my XP and Linux boxes without having to install anything extra. If you're going to bash something, try learning more about it first, m'kay?;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™