j0nes

Whuffo questions -which do you get asked FIRST when someone discovers you jump?

which do you get asked FIRST when someone discovers you jump?

Mostly, they do not even ask any question: Just freaking out, screaming : I'D NEVER DO THIS, HOW COULD YOU!?!?!? Knowing absolutely nothing! but, beeing absolutely sure to never ever do it :S:S In the beginning, I started with simple explanations until I found out: They do not need any, they do not want to hear any!

So what to do: You just give up. :|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

You'd be surprised how many guys I've busted trying to pose... :ph34r:

You too? It's really funny when that happens. Most times I let them just go on and on. My friends will be standing there laughing to themselves. I let them dig a hole so deep and then "Whack!" I let them have it. The best part is the look on their faces when they know they have been busted:ph34r:

Most of my co-workers don't know I skydive. I'd rather keep that way, I get tired of all the silly questions.

I have only had that happen once and it was at a kegger my friend was having for my birthday. There was this guy standing there talking to a group of people and as I walk by I hear "skydive" which sparked my interest. I stopped and listened for probably 10 minutes as people asked him normal whuffo questions but the answers were obviously comming from someone who was not a skydiver. He used the word extreme at least 20 times. Several of the people in the crowd of about 15 standing there knew I was a skydiver as they were friends of mine and it was MY birthday lol. They didn't however realize this guy was full of shit. Finally my friend brian asks asks him if he ever jumps with me and the guy didn't know what to say. Then I let him have it. Asked him where he jumped and what a coincidence he replied with my home dropzone. I said really how often do you go? "Oh a few times a week after I get out of school." I said yeah to bad they don't skydive durring the week. At that point everyone was laughing at him and he knew he was screwed. He did put his tail between his legs and admit he was lieing out his ass and shortly there after left the party :P

Greenie in training.

I get a lot of what everyone else has also, but one I like is when they ask about packing and I tell them I pack it myself and get that look of surprise and disbelief. Then they want to know if I'm allowed to do that. The other thing that just chaps my hide is when people find out you jump and they start quoting facts and statistics from Real TV or Max-X or uncle Earl who jumped in WWII. Seems like all whuffos know a guy who knew a guy who's parachute didn't open. I just had somebody the other day tell me "Yeah, I understand reserves only work 50% of the time".....Geez, I need a beer.

He did put his tail between his legs and admit he was lieing out his ass and shortly there after left the party :P

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:Have you seen him since? Give him a call and invite him out to make a jump.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You too? It's really funny when that happens. Most times I let them just go on and on. My friends will be standing there laughing to themselves. I let them dig a hole so deep and then "Whack!" I let them have it. The best part is the look on their faces when they know they have been busted:ph34r:

Most of my co-workers don't know I skydive. I'd rather keep that way, I get tired of all the silly questions.

I have only had that happen once and it was at a kegger my friend was having for my birthday. There was this guy standing there talking to a group of people and as I walk by I hear "skydive" which sparked my interest. :P

Two buddies and myself were sitting at a table at work and overheard someone mention skydiving. And like you...that sparked our interest. When we started talking to him, he had actually done some research and knew some of the "buzz words". Everything was going good until he stated that his favorite jump was when him and his wife went up in a 182....they let his wife out at 7000...shut the door...he and the pilot climed to 15000..then he got out, tracked after her and caught her right before they pulled. ...:D actually, it would be funny if he wasn't sooo serious. What could we say? We just laughed and walked off...

It could happen..I think he was also the first graduate of the Army Ninja School..:D

Kenny

Can you breath when your falling...with all that wind?

I forgot about that one, yeah i get too....i just thought of another too that was said.

I get the this:

Whuffo: "how hard can it be to do training, you're strapped to someone?"

Me: "Ummm no i'm not....student training, you're pulling your own cord and fly your own canopy. I've only done one tandem. I jump by myself or with a coach."

Whuffo: "OMG, is it scary..."

yeah.....
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

The one I hear most isn't in the poll.
"Aren't you scared/frightened/terrified to jump from that high/an airplane"...

When someone says something like that. I just say I would be terrified to land with the pilot flying the airplane... lol
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

So you jump by yourself now? (After I tell them I've been doing it for over a year).

That's probably the most common one I get too. And it's unfortunate, because it usually puts me in "more information than they wanted" mode. I feel somehow obligated to explain that I don't generally jump by myself (solos) but I've also always jumped by myself. (I've never done a tandem)

He did put his tail between his legs and admit he was lieing out his ass and shortly there after left the party :P

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:Have you seen him since? Give him a call and invite him out to make a jump.

Nope I have since moved to a different state and I didn't know this guy he was someones out of town boyfriend from my understanding.

Greenie in training.

My students attribute it to race. I tried to tell them that there are jumpers of all races and heritages but they refuse to believe me for some reason. They think it's a crazy white person thing. :S

its a predominantly white thing though? you see about as many black people skydiving as you do yachting

Many years ago...like 40...when I owned a DZ I was driving to it early one morning. I had a van at the time and had a few student rigs in the back. I picked up a guy hitchhiking.

When he saw the rigs he said, "Hey, you must skydive."

I told him that I did.

He then went on and on about how well he knew the guy who owned the DZ that *I owned* and was driving to that morning.

He told me that I had taught him how to jump a few months prior. Obviously, he didn't know who I was. I had a difficult time keeping a straight face.

I just let him ramble on about his jumping experiences--with me.

Over the years, I've experienced dozens of people telling me about their jumps when they never did any of it. I've always been amazed. Clearly many of you have had similar experiences.

Why do so many people bullshit about being a jumper?
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

What if, your first chute doesn't open?
"I'd pull the reserve handle!"
What if that one doesn't open?
"Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass good-bye"!

What if your parachute doesn't open?
"Use the reserve parachute!"
"Untie my shoe laces!"
Why untie your shoe laces?
"To give me something to do for the rest of my life!"

the question i get first most of the time:
Has your parachute ever not opened??

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Silly Wuffos. :P

Tricks are for kids! :D:S

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I did that to a guy in a bar one time. After about thee sentences overheard while my buddies and I were out drinking, one of them suggested that I just turn around and cock block the hell out of him. Being slightly inebriated, it sounded like fun idea. It wasB|

I think it's better to let posers be busted by the sky-chicks instead of the guys. It's a lot more painful for the poser, and a lot of laughs for us. :D:SB|

I cannot fathom why anybody would be a poser. Why try to pretend to be something you're obviously not?

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

What if, your first chute doesn't open?
"I'd pull the reserve handle!"
"Put my head between my knees and kiss my ass good-bye"!

What if your parachute doesn't open?
"Use the reserve parachute!"
"Untie my shoe laces!"
Why untie your shoe laces?
"To give me something to do for the rest of my life!"

the question i get first most of the time:
Has your parachute ever not opened??

In the old days, they had Capewells!:D

Chuck