j0nes

Whuffo questions -which do you get asked FIRST when someone discovers you jump?

same here. had a women at work say (after the whuffo question) ohh my gosh now i can go home to my husband to tell him i met a real skydiver ...

gosh thanks :$

are there a lot of fake skydivers??? should USPA know about this? ;)

Where do you jump?
How many jumps do you have?
How long have you, been in the sport?
Do you have your own gear?
If so, what do you have?
Did you go through AFF?
Did you do a tandem?
Did you do static-line?
Do you have hemorroids?
Acne?
Psorisis?
Bleeding gums?
Night sweats?
Bleeding ulcers?
Leporasy?
:P

Chuck

The one I HATE the most.

Stupid Person: "Did your husband get you into it?" Me: "No. He is afraid of heights."
Stupid Person: "Well, then how did you get into it?" Me: "Always wanted to do it and just did it."
Stupid Person: "How does your husband feel about it?"
Me: "He is supportive." (What I want to say is "mind you own fucking business!")

WTF?!?! Can a woman not have her own freakin' hobbies >:(

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

We'll when my SO and I are together someplace and the subjet comes up, I get the "Oh my god, you do it TOO?!" quite often.

I always got a kick out of crowds at demos. Everyone has landed safely and those doing the demo remove their helmets and you hear this over-whelming sound of surprise from the crowd... "One of 'em is a GIRL!":D
...and the problem is? :S

Chuck

Yes, I've heard the same thing. Up in Andrews NC where it's not a normal dropzone (only once or twice a year) there were people out watching and this one guy said to his wife as I'm walking by, "look they LET women do it too"

My question is, who LET me do it? :S

Both of my sister in laws want to make a skydive, but my brothers won't let them. That infuriates me.>:(

The one I hear most isn't in the poll.
"Aren't you scared/frightened/terrified to jump from that high/an airplane"...

Gave up explaining that exiting the plane is not a stress point (at least not to me).
Next time I'll say I'm totally terrified every time, but that I seem to like it ;)

So you jump by yourself now? (After I tell them I've been doing it for over a year).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My friends ask how much it costs.. probably cos theyve observed how poor I am all of a sudden! :S

Random people tend to ask stupid things like...

1) What if it doesnt open - cue long *sigh*
I just tell em, imagine you held onto a carrier bag by the handles and lent out the window of your car at 125mph. IT WILL OPEN (or try to ;) )

2) What pleasure do you get out of it. Which they normally follow with. "I wouldnt do one, but its not because im scared, I just dont think I'd enjoy it." What!? Hello, are YOU mental!? :o

My friends ask how much it costs.. probably cos theyve observed how poor I am all of a sudden! :S

Random people tend to ask stupid things like...

1) What if it doesnt open - cue long *sigh*
I just tell em, imagine you held onto a carrier bag by the handles and lent out the window of your car at 125mph. IT WILL OPEN (or try to ;) )

2) What pleasure do you get out of it. Which they normally follow with. "I wouldnt do one, but its not because im scared, I just dont think I'd enjoy it." What!? Helloe, are YOU mental!? :o

It's a dang good stress-reliever after a week at the 'grind' ...and it's fun, too!

Chuck

You'd be surprised how many guys I've busted trying to pose... :ph34r:

You too? It's really funny when that happens. Most times I let them just go on and on. My friends will be standing there laughing to themselves. I let them dig a hole so deep and then "Whack!" I let them have it. The best part is the look on their faces when they know they have been busted:ph34r:

Most of my co-workers don't know I skydive. I'd rather keep that way, I get tired of all the silly questions.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Yes, I've heard the same thing. Up in Andrews NC where it's not a normal dropzone (only once or twice a year) there were people out watching and this one guy said to his wife as I'm walking by, "look they LET women do it too"

My question is, who LET me do it? :S

Both of my sister in laws want to make a skydive, but my brothers won't let them. That infuriates me.>:(

Sneak your sisters-in-law out and get their jumps and tell your brothers to go to hell...:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'll never understand how two people can be married and one of the partners "won't allow" the other to do something.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Some variant of the whuffo question is definitely the most common.

Other common questions include:
What got you into that?
or
So, were you in the military?
or (and I can't believe no one else has mentioned this one)
So have you ever jumped one of those gliding type parachutes? (whuffo's seem to think we all still jump rounds) I had one ask me if I'd ever *seen* a square parachute, like I was gonna say "No, what's that?" and they'd be able to explain it to me
also
So is there a regular place that you do that or do you and some buddies just get together somewhere once in awhile?

I still have to laugh every time I get a variant of the "So do you and your friends practice those group things?" It surprizes me that their whuffo ass knows about dirt-diving. I mean, I damn sure never think of a skydive as "practice" after exit! :D Question: do we really have to pull if it's just a practice jump?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

You'd be surprised how many guys I've busted trying to pose... :ph34r:

You too? It's really funny when that happens. Most times I let them just go on and on. My friends will be standing there laughing to themselves. I let them dig a hole so deep and then "Whack!" I let them have it. The best part is the look on their faces when they know they have been busted:ph34r:

I did that to a guy in a bar one time. After about thee sentences overheard while my buddies and I were out drinking, one of them suggested that I just turn around and cock block the hell out of him. Being slightly inebriated, it sounded like fun idea. It wasB|

Some variant of the whuffo question is definitely the most common.

Other common questions include:
What got you into that?
or
So, were you in the military?
or (and I can't believe no one else has mentioned this one)
So have you ever jumped one of those gliding type parachutes? (whuffo's seem to think we all still jump rounds) I had one ask me if I'd ever *seen* a square parachute, like I was gonna say "No, what's that?" and they'd be able to explain it to me
also
So is there a regular place that you do that or do you and some buddies just get together somewhere once in awhile?

I still have to laugh every time I get a variant of the "So do you and your friends practice those group things?" It surprizes me that their whuffo ass knows about dirt-diving. I mean, I damn sure never think of a skydive as "practice" after exit! :D Question: do we really have to pull if it's just a practice jump?

Blues,
Dave

My all-time favorite whuffo question is: "Do you have a death wish?":P:D

Chuck