321seeya

What are the requirements for being gay?

There have been many heated debates on these forums about homosexuality. In order to clear things up and get this topic into a brighter light, I have a few questions:

1) Is Having sex with someone of the same sex enough to be considered gay? Or is being gay more than just sex?

More questions to come, but one at a time as to not cloud the issue.

This IS NOT AN OPEN INVITATION TO BASH ON GAYS AND LESBIANS.....
IF THIS POST OFFENDS YOU YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO NOT READ IT.
Thanks in advance

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

1) Is Having sex with someone of the same sex enough to be considered gay? Or is being gay more than just sex?

Nope, that makes you curious. Being gay is more than just sex - see, I can be serious too.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

It's a self-definition thing to some extent. How happy are you?

Having sex with someone of the same sex isn't it. If you are sexually attracted to members of the same sex, find them enticing, etc., then that might be considered to put you farther towards the gay of of what I (with my expertise :S -- NOT) think of as the straight/gay continuum.

Do you choose who you are attracted to? Can you just decide that you don't like blondes (or whatever) any more? Can you just decide that ducks look pretty good? Probably not.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

who cares anyway? imho it shouldn't make any difference who you live with or who you screw

some guys are offended when they get the looks from another man, 4 them being gay probably means finding another male attractive...:S

the more relaxed u are with your sexuality the easier it is to live it without hesitation, doubt etc... you could sleep with men from time to time and still feel hetero..
personally i don't give a f&%@ 4 labels. if u are an asshole it doesn't matter if u are gay or not
just my 0,2

edit 4 bad spell
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I think any sexual orientation (despite the "by definition" wording) has more to do with it than sex. I had one friend who described herself as a polyamorous pansexual polytheist. Did she earn this definition by having sex with many gods of different genders at the same time? I doubt it. But how cool would that be??:)

Nope, that makes you curious. Being gay is more than just sex - see, I can be serious too.

I have to agree with Keith, but I've never seen him serious. Being gay isn't who you sleep with, a guy could be gay and force himself to sleep with women to fit a social standard.

ok I see what you are trying to say, but in response I offer this....

A lady wakes up one day and decides she is tired of Men (for what ever the reason).......She strolls to the nearest bar, restruant or club, and decides to pick up on the girl at the bar ect....Goes home and has a sexual experience and decides she likes it.....Repeats.....When does she become gay...or will she ever?

Free the soul -- DJ

Of course you cant blame the general public for the opinions they form, and the ideas they have when the only representation you see of gays and lesbians are the dorks dressed like the cop in the village people, or in a bondage outfit marching down the street. Does anyone know why it is they make their sexual vices so public?? (Dont have to be gay to like leather and bondage, but most straight people dont flaunt it in parades...)
I dont have a problem with my kids observing two people in public, whether they are gay or straight, but some stuff needs to stay in the bedroom, and not at Disney World, or the streets of NYC.....

Free the soul -- DJ

Of course you cant blame the general public for the opinions they form, and the ideas they have when the only representation you see of gays and lesbians are the dorks dressed like the cop in the village people, or in a bondage outfit marching down the street. Does anyone know why it is they make their sexual vices so public??

That's a good question. It's my guess that there are an equal percentage of gay/straight people with kinky habits. It's just that the Pride Parade gives the gay ones a venue. I don't feel that being gay has it's true center in who you have sex with and what you do in the process. And I don't think that the parade should be used in that way. It isn't why it started. I cringe when I see the kinky-leather-diaper-guy-riding-the-giant-penis-pogo-stick coming my way too.... and I'd sure as hell not want my kid exposed to that. I think there's also an element of anger in it. Maybe a backlash from social repression.
Owned by Remi #?

most straight people dont flaunt it in parades....

What a pile of horseshit! (Sorry, but that's so absolutely ridiculous I can't restrain myself.)

Straight people flaunt their sexuality EVERYWHERE. Billboards with straight couples drinking beer in skimpy clothes, sexualized clothing ads with naked couples, het couples holding hands on the street, assumptions of hetersexuality is everywhere. Couples kissing goodbye at the train, dancing in clubs. EVERYTHING is het.

Jeez.... did you really mean what you said or was that just to look dumb?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

My brother is gay (well, more of a raging queen) and i've known for the past 7years or so. It doesn't bother me in the slightest if I see to men/women flaunting their sexuality, kissing holding hands, whatever. I don't look at it any differently than seeing a man and woman together.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I think you might be comparing homo displays at parades with het displays 24/7 on every street corner and concluding that homo displays are much more sexual.

If that's your point, I don't agree. Even though gay parades have some lesbians with exposed breasts and fags with leather straps, I don't think that's anywhere CLOSE to what I see on beer and clothing billboards daily. And I don't even have a TV but if I did I'm sure I'd see far, far most sexualized het images there every day.

That being said, I don't wear leather straps in public. I don't much appreciate seeing that highly costumed, sexual imagery either. But it's 1/1000 as common and 1/2 as intense as the het images I see anyway, so I'm not spending much time getting upset.

I believe the people who get upset at gay parade imagery and pass over daily het imagery are just being nasty and biased.

Your comments are thoughtful and well written. I think that my cringe reactions to overt displays at pride (pogo man) are caused by the knowledge that HE will be noticed and not the thousands who show up trying to be counted. That is unrelated to the original question, I'll admit.
Owned by Remi #?

I cringe when I see something rare that's in astoundly bad taste. I cringed when I saw Divine eat poodle poop in Pink Flamingos. Ugh.

If you saw gay imagery about as often as you see straight imagery, I think it would become commonplace quickly. Some people can't stand the idea of that of course. Symmetry always bothers those who are well-placed. The well fed feel cheated when the hungry finally get a good dinner.

Great discussion so far. So, what do you think is fostering what seems to be a broader "social" acceptance of alternative (i.e., gay, bi, trans) lifestyles in the US? It seems that parades (or street fairs like Halsted Days in Chicago) put sour lifestyles out there, but we've been doing that for 2 decades. My thought?:: untapped expendable incomes > media attention > advertisers endorsements, etc.....:S

most straight people dont flaunt it in parades....

What a pile of horseshit! (Sorry, but that's so absolutely ridiculous I can't restrain myself.)

Straight people flaunt their sexuality EVERYWHERE. Billboards with straight couples drinking beer in skimpy clothes, sexualized clothing ads with naked couples, het couples holding hands on the street, assumptions of hetersexuality is everywhere. Couples kissing goodbye at the train, dancing in clubs. EVERYTHING is het.

Jeez.... did you really mean what you said or was that just to look dumb?

You totally responded with out reading the post you quoted...I said PDA between HET and GAY couples DO NOT bother me, but the flaunting of SEXUAL VICES ie..leather bondage seems to be more prevalent in gay parades, and do NOT have a place on the streets of NYC or disney land. I would feel the same way if I saw a HET woman riding a big 6' penis through the Macy's parade...

Free the soul -- DJ