Spriet

Cobalt...or not?

Hi,

I am currently looking for a new main. Now I have a Stiletto 135 and I am happy with it. I do not plan to downsize as I do not jump enough. According the reviews on this site, the Cobalt would be a perfect replacement for my Stiletto. Can anyone confirm these good reviews, would you downsize(as they almost recommend on their site, a Cobalt 120 gives the same perfo as a stiletto 135??).
How about the 2stage opening, is it still actual or hopelessly outdated?
Anyone with Cobalt experience can explain or comment?
The Cobalt is also remarkably cheaper than the Stiletto, why isn't everyone jumping them?

Thanks in advance and great dives,

Spriet

The Cobalt is also remarkably cheaper than the Stiletto, why isn't everyone jumping them?

You just answered your own questions.

If you search here on DZ.com, you'll find that many people don't think the Cobalt to be a great canopy. You'll find some that think its a great canopy. You'll find that some people had a horrible experience with the company. You'll find that some people had a good experience with the company.

Demo one or borrow one from someone and decide for yourself.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For what purpose? For swooping? I had about 250 jumps on a Cobalt 135 WL 1.6-1.8.I like it much. It opens friendly and I got only 1 cut-away from line twist. It does not open like a square, it might open with some closed end cells or a bit fast, but not hard or painful. You can make it dive, but it recovers by itself. My recovery arc on Cobalt 135 was on the short side.

Now I'm jumping a Cobalt Competition 105. I'm in love.B|

I have not jumped Stilleto, so I can not compare to that. I had 350 jumps on a Pilot150 and demoed a Vision 132, 4 jumps. Vision opened faster and it did not felt as stable as Cobalt.

Cobalt does not has a perfect reputation and Sabre either and lots of them around.

Cobalt downsides, not very popular, does not hold resale value in US. I've never had a "two stage" opening on one ( only on an alpha did I experience true two stage). Replacement line sets have to be fabricated by local knowlegeable riggers they are hard or impossible to get from the factory. This alone makes some people loose faith in the product.

Cobalt upsides, flies fantastic, very soft ( like a spectre)openings, fantastic bottom end flare. Better than everything in its class except for maybe the X-fire.
Very stable. another up side is that they are not very popular you can purchase them cheep used with much life left in them ,more life if you don't mind getting a line set made by a handful of local riggers.

The word is that the cobalt is a stilleto with re-adjusted lines to put the center of balance closer to center under the canopy to tame the spin out of the spinetto.

Another thing you should keep in mind is the mentality that if its not PD or Icarus it is shit. Half the people that told me they don't like the cobalt admitted they have never flown the cobalt. Very few people like the US factory. Most people like factory line sets.

If you can try one used you should and then you can decide. If you plan to buy new look at the x-fire at the same time.

Atair has a marketing group that likes to use the terms "flys large" a lot. It feels just like any other canopy at the same loading. I used to own one and sold it. The canopies tended to be crap shoots as to if it was a good one or not. Some of them opened and flew great, others opened like shit and flew good. I had a brand new demo open extremely hard 5 times in a row out of 5 jumps. Others that I demoed were decent but lots of people have had Cobalts that they couldn't get to open soft no matter what.

Demo it but keep an open mind to look at other canopies also.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Atair has a marketing group that likes to use the terms "flys large" a lot. It feels just like any other canopy at the same loading.

I had over 250 jumps on a Cobalt 135 and demod a Vision 132. Vision felt less stable and required more active piloting than Cobalt. I was flying a Pilot 150 before, than Cobalt 135 felt just natural, like an extension of my body. What else do you consider as flying as bigger? I don't really think that would be a sizing issue. Its a more stable, more rigid: 18 top panels! and more efficient wing. I've just moved on because of the recovery arc is shorter than I'd like to have now.

Line-sets. You can order HMA/Vectran line-sets from Slovenia via basetroll.com

Try to get a friendly one.
;). You would love it like I do. Mine is getting funky openings too, I think its a trim/line-set issue.

They are cheap, easy to pack thanks to Glevenor and they fly great.

Atair has a marketing group that likes to use the terms "flys large" a lot. It feels just like any other canopy at the same loading.

What else do you consider as flying as bigger? I don't really think that would be a sizing issue. Its a more stable, more rigid: 18 top panels! and more efficient wing.

Atair USA would say that it flys bigger so that you might demo one size smaller than your current wing its a marketing gimmick used by more than one manufacturer's demo clerks. Of course a slightly higher wing loading is going to feel peppier than what you currently have. They are not the only ones that said to me but they are the only one that put it in print on the website.

For what its worth Atair USA has moved on to focus on the military side of business and they are not telling anybody how big to go or what pilot chute to use anymore.

Atair in slovenia, the real developers of the cobalt have moved on to their latest offering the radical. They also have some nice BASE stuff.

Thanks everyone who shed some light on the Cobalt. I will try to demo one. I know now a little better what to look for.
Strange that hard openings are a bit of an issue here as soft two stage openings is one of the main reasons why we should buy one. (correct pilot chute was used?)
Thanks for the 'downsizing' hint, it makes sense.
I also will consider the x-fire, it shows indeed the specs I am looking for.

Thanks and more comments are of course always welcome!

Schol!

Got about 500 jumps on my cobalt 120. The openings can be good but sometimes you think you just took a BASE canopy freeflying.
After it is open it is great to fly. It flies like a 120 because it is a 120. Atair telling people it flies big is a good way to get people hurt flying a canopy that is too small for there skill.
It lands nice with lots of low end power. You should not have to run out many landing.

I had some negative experiences with Cobalts - Really hard openings (and one mal) on two different demo canopies. I'm a rigger and worked for a couple years as a packer, and don't think it was me..

The inconsistencies between different canopies of the same size is a problem if you're buying a new one, it's a total crapshoot and a risk I wouldn't be willing to take given the cost of canopies... by all means if you put some jumps on a used one and it treats you well, got for it. But I'd also consider options from other manufacturers if you want to be 100% confident that you won't get a lemon.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!