FlyboySMB

Why Static Line???

Just curious why learning to skydive is still offered via static line. As an AFF instructor, I am ignorant to the process, but I think it's proven that the AFF progression is a better learning method. Of course you need two JMs for the lower levels, maybe that's part of it, my other thought is that there are some long running DZs that have SL instructors, but not AFF???

Any way, just curious.
Thanks
Steve

That's all that was offered when I went through the program. But honestly, if I had to pay the prices of AFF at the time, I probably wouldn't have made it through like I did.

Static Line is kind of creepy when you think about it, but it is a proven and affordable method of training, that produces skydivers of equal abilities to the AFF program.

I think it's proven that the AFF progression is a better learning method.

Skydiving is so full of absolute opinions.....;)

Different strokes, for different folks, Stevenheimer. Your statement is fine in a general sense, but I don't think it's the end all. Static line is fine and offers another method for students. Most of the time a cheaper method with easier to remember goals and less complex training skydives. So in many cases, I'd say static line has "proven" to be a "better learning method". I did some of both in the 80's during my training progression. They are different, they don't really compare in any way until long delays, then it's a moot point to try and compare them.

Disclaimer - I always advocate AFF over static line, but I don't have any issue if a student goes the other route.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It can also be a more practical training method for those who live in climates not blessed with great weather year round. One of the things that's usually pointed out to new students here in the NW who are starting in the fall is that staying current on static line is easier in the winter months. Once you get to full-altitude jumps, of course, it's a moot point, but a static line student probably won't blink an eye at doing a hop & pop just to stay current, even if they've progressed to full-altitude jumps.

(Edit to add: Wendy beat me to it while I was composing!)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

static line also teaches you reeeeal early about line twists and kicking out of them....

You also get more of the focus on live-saving piloting and landing techniques before you learn the freefall stuff... Less stuff to cram into an already-bulging cranium... :S Some people just like to take it easy and not get overwhelmed.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Another thing, many of those wee dropzones can put an entire load up of S/liners with only one instructor on board. I reckon you can do larger classes of s/liners as well.
Makes financial sense for the DZO as well, especially ones with smaller aircraft.

Merits in both systems, to be sure.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Static line was my first jump and the canopy couldn't open fast enough after letting go of the 182 strut.
Surprised you're even asking this question being an AFF guy. Ever wish your students had 3-5 jumps before they see you ?
Maybe you should do a static line jump to be a more well rounded instructor.
Just my 1 cent. :D

I did S/L because I wanted to do my first jump on my own (with no one strapped to me or hanging on to me). I've always had a fear of heights, and I wanted to see if I would actually jump when it was time to go.

Of course, I also went into it thinking I'd only jump one time. Had I known I'd want to continue, I probably would have opted for AFF.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Isnt Static Line cheaper?

per jump, yes. Overall, I'd think so. But you also spend more time in the sport learning things before you get the license...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

When I started each jump was $60. The first jump course was $100

Gee Grandpa, did they have planes back then ?:D

( was the same for me i think. Back in the day.:P)

The first jump course was pretty close to that, but per jump after that was $40 I think, in 1993 and 1994...

I am a SL instructor and personally feel the students are actually better trained by the time they get off student status. The reason we don't do AFF at our DZ is for a number of reasons, mainly cause we're a small 182 dz and don't have a lot of people who come through. We're also a college club and advertise to the campus that we teach classes and do tandems. Another problem is, because we're a college club, we roate out staff ever 4 years or so, which doesn't allow time for someone to really get their AFF I and if they do, what happens when they graduate and leave?

Another issue is costs, our student jumps are only slots, so between 22-32 depending on the alt plus $5 if you need a packer. We keep our costs low, always have, always will
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I started in '87
The old miltary rounds too.
Dang time flies. And this sport changes fast. Gravity is still the same. Except on Sunday mornings when it's on "heavy"

Really the only thing that's changed in skydiving, even in the 5 years I've been jumping, is the cost. Jumps were 14 when i started, now 16. My class was 135, now it's 150, packing was $2, now it's $5. And I paid 1800 for my whole rig, I barely got my new canopy for that much:S
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

You gonna launch a student and two instructors out of a 182 or a 206? Yes, I know it's possible, what what a pain in the ass..

Besides the fact that we're not all a bunch of turbine rats, the price as mentioned before is a big deal for a lot of people. Even if AFF had been offered at my DZ, I doubt it would have been affordable for me. With static line, however, I paid around $700 for 25 jumps, gear rental, a couple USPA temp memberships, a full membership, and my licence fee.

This wasn't 20 years ago, either. My FJC was 24 July 2004, and I only did 6 jumps in 2004.
cavete terrae.

You gonna launch a student and two instructors out of a 182 or a 206?

Can be done and is done on a regular basis. I did a mix of SL/AFF and did some 2-JM jumps out of a Cessna. My regular DZ has no turbine in the winter yet AFF is still offered.

Isnt Static Line cheaper?

per jump, yes. Overall, I'd think so. But you also spend more time in the sport learning things before you get the license...

25 jumps is 25 jumps, whether you do AFF or S/L. But I don't disagree that S/L gives you more time up front to absorb the "rest" of the sport besides freefall.