beatcreation

Pilot 168 Packing Disaster

Well I picked up my new canopy today and jumped it once which was awesome. This thing is a beast to pack though. I was amazed that a packer was able to get it in the d bag. Unfortunately I opened it back up when I got home today and I just cant get it back in. This is my first brand new canopy and I have heard about the horrors of packing a new canopy but I never thought it would be this bad. It is now currently daisy chained and in a garbage bag sitting in my closet. Hell even getting it into the garbage bag was difficult.

I would love some videos and help. I have learned alot about correct packing and some of the tricks but this new zp material is unbelievable. Out of curiosity I tried to psycho pack it and that was worse because the material was so slippery as I rolled it the tail just kept on pulling away from the slider.

I know exactly what you mean. I took delivery of my 140 Pilot a few weeks ago. As soon as i got it, of course i had to take it out the bag to take a look at the canopy. This was also my first new canopy.

Putting it back in was a big problem. It took me way over an hour to get the whole pack job done when usually i can pack in 10 minutes.

I paid a packer to pack it for the first 4/5 jumps. Then started to pack it my self after watching his technique. And its getting just as easier to pack as it has been to pack past canopys that havent been so new.

Id say, how ever long it takes you pack, try and pack your self as much as possible this way once you've mastered packing a new canopy, thats it!!

Watch other packers pack and try new bagging techiques out, hands on experience and packing is my advice!

Chris
"You only live once"

Know that you are not alone....:S

Exactly....I just got a new pilot 168.......but I have actually managed to pack mine with practice that is. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Hey whats up,
I have alot of experience packing pilots. Key to control on the newer ones is when you begin your s folds compress your packjob between your knees. And also I use this to help me on the really crispy ones:

when you start your folds and you are finished in your cocooning process. take grib under the packjob compressing it and restricting the fabric from "sucking in air". then begin your s folds.

pm me if my descriptions were to vague.

~j
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

Aight, update! After 20 attempts and 6 beers later I finally got it neatly in the bag. My best trick was after I laid it on the ground and started cocooning it I laid on top of it and worked the air out and constantly worked the cocoon narrower and narrower. I made it as narrow and tight and possible then as I went to make my first s fold I slid my body down still laying on it and made my first fold (reverse s fold). Once I got the fold over I got up and completely surrounded the fold with my body (legs chest chin etc..) then I slid the bag around but I still had to maintain a tight grip on the bag and canopy cause it wanted to eject from the bag. Then I stuffed the slider in and wrapped the bag around compressing even more air out. Then finally I was able to get the lines stowed. Thanks everyone for the input.

some simple tricks to make snotslipery material pack easier

1) once you've sorted all the lines and took up the the rear of the canopy to form the cocoon: get out as much of the air before placing the canopy on the ground. do so by taking the canopy as far up as possible and work the air upwards

2) place canopy on ground - lie down on it and work on the material on the upper half. once finished: make only one s-fold with the upper half and put this one in the bag that means you have to get only half of the canopy in the bag
then fold the lower half in the bag an close it.

trick two is described with pics in many manuals as a different way to pack

if that still doesn't work: keep on practicing
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

After 20 attempts and 6 beers later

6 beers....theres your answer. Now, how to do that after the first load...? B|

Wow so I have tried to repack it yet again today after work and I cant repeat the results. Maybe it was the beer. Too bad the two activities dont go well together. [:/]

Thanks for the video. In the past day I have managed to come up with a technique that works for me. I cocoon the canopy while laying on top of it then when I go to make my first s-fold I keep a monster grip on it and use every bit of my body to surround it (stomach, chest, legs, knees, chin, forehead). Then I work the bag around and stuff the slider in. The biggest trick I noticed with the pilot is keeping it surrounded. The material that the pilot is made out of I feel is more springy than some of the pd canopy materials. When I was packing a sabre 2 I felt the material was slicker but not as springy. I like the idea of using a pull up cord to stow your lines. I always wondered if that would work or just break the bands. Im thinking about posting a video later showing the packing method I have found successfull.

I cocoon the canopy while laying on top of it then when I go to make my first s-fold I keep a monster grip on it and use every bit of my body to surround it (stomach, chest, legs, knees, chin, forehead).

There is the first place to get inflated again...

I like the idea of using a pull up cord to stow your lines.

Not on the lines, but on the tube stows. Its quite hard to pick them, its enough fighting with the canopy than with the stows too.

Aight well I said I would post a video and I have. I wanted to show I how I learned to use my body to control the canopy at all times of the bagging process. This is a brand new canopy with 1 jump on it. I have practiced packing this canopy about 40 times. The first 28 times were messy and since then I can bag it no problem. I just wanted to share my technique. I'm sure that there could be other and better ways of doing it but I found this to be the easiest and fastest for now with the condition of the canopy. I posted the video on skydivingmovies.com and the format is mov so you will need quicktime. Also sorry for the ass shots but it is part of the technique. :ph34r:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6912