kallend

Cosmetic SUVs?

We had a little snow in Chicago yesterday. On my 2 hour drive home I passed 8 stuck vehicles. A Camaro, a Corvette, a VW Rabbit, an old clunker, and **** FOUR SUVs****

I guess these are the ones where off-road capability means you can park them on your (paved) driveway.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My observation is that new SUV owners invariably think "SUV = invincibility", i.e. they think they can:
a) Go through anything.
b) Have no need to slow down in slippery conditions.

Which of course means it is not if, but when they will get stuck, or slide off the road or into someone else.

I was with a friend one time who was particularly ignorant of basic physics when he test drove a Toyota Landcruiser. The fool proceeded to try to drive over the 3 feet of frozen, crusty snow along the side of the road which had been thrown there by the snow plow. Of course the Landcruiser wound up stuck, sitting on it's belly with no weight on any of the wheels. His coment: "Shit, it gets stuck just like my Jeep." Moron.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Of course, one problem is that 4-wheel stop isn't as good as 4-wheel drive...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We had a little snow in Chicago yesterday. On my 2 hour drive home I passed 8 stuck vehicles. A Camaro, a Corvette, a VW Rabbit, an old clunker, and **** FOUR SUVs****

I guess these are the ones where off-road capability means you can park them on your (paved) driveway.

You only saw 4?

I've owned a Ford Tempo, Cutlass, Corolla and a Neon. NEVER have I had a problem with getting around in our winters. I even took my Corolla off roading a few times (oops, bent the frame lol)

Ive has FWD, RWD, 4WD, 2WD, and AWD.
and I live in the south. Not once have I ever had issues getting anywhere in the snow/ice.
If the ice is bad enough you just can drive.

i despise those blithering idiots who buy a 4wd and think they know how to drive it even if its never been used. >:(
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

That's because the majority of people think 4WD means they don't need good tyres. The amount of SUVs I see on bald all seasons is horrifying.

all wheel drive + Nokian snow tyres = winner!

Never needed winter tires in Quebec on my Renault 5! lol
Remster

That's because the majority of people think 4WD means they don't need good tyres. The amount of SUVs I see on bald all seasons is horrifying.

all wheel drive + Nokian snow tyres = winner!

Never needed winter tires in Quebec on my Renault 5! lol

Needed 'em? No. Would you have been better off? Probably.

Snow tyres mean faster stopping, and less understeer when turning. These are both good.
cavete terrae.

Nice skid! :)
Seriously, I know snow winter tires would help, but if its not terribly cold, skinny 4seasons work very well.

B|

Yeah, most people do OK, I just get freaked out seeing people overdrive their tyres. That's mostly from getting rearended twice in the same winter... by the same person!
cavete terrae.

I cut my teeth (figuratively) during my college years in Rochester, NY learning to drive on snow and ice. Never had a fender-bender or got stuck without a way to get unstuck by myself... Lessons learned well! Down here in Alabama, I'm one of the very few that actually knows this shit... :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I will never forget driving to Alta one day. It was snowing like crazy. Our bargain-hunter friend had found us an AWD Subaru Legacy with snow tires at Budget Rent-a-Car; since it was a bit dented they gave us a really good deal on it.

We drove higher and higher, passing people who had pulled off to put chains on. Then we started seeing the pickup trucks stuck by the side of the road. Then the low-clearance rear wheel drive vehicles. Then the cars. Then the SUV's. By the time we made it to the parking lot, the line of cars had been reduced to buses with chains, high-clearance Jeeps with snow tires and a line of Subaru Legacys.

Okay, Okay. Someone has to say it!

It's not the size of the vehicle. It's how you drive it!

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."

**** FOUR SUVs****

I've pulled 3 Texans in their SUVs out of the ditch the last 3 Friday nights on my way back up to the house from the airport

Week 1. Two teenagers driving mom's Jeep. Mom told them it was always in 4x4. They passed me going about 70 (I was going 40 in 4x4). Just had to speed up a little to see what they ended up doing. Yep, ditch it was.

Week 2. Couple had flown in for the weekend to go skiing and they were actually on the same flight as I. Somewhere along the line, they passed me up. Not sure how or where as they had to get a rental, I just had to go find my wheels. They were in the same area as number 1 above.

Week 3. bunch of college twits (note: no twitettes in vehicle) from College Station. A few open beers in their SUV (Caddy Escalade) and they ended up way off the road. Again, same area as the two above, but this one ended up way off the road.

Week 4. Tonight...No one in the ditch.
------
Michael