RkyMtnHigh

Unconditional Love

It really does exist, doesn't it? I think so. A friend called today and broke some news to me with the "fear" that I wouldn't be his friend anymore once he shared this tidbit of info. I said "no way, I'm here for you unconditionally and I don't/won't judge...we're still great friends". There was a sigh of relief and laughter. Damn..I just can't believe there are people who are "friends" who would let go of a friendship over simple irrelevant things.

Call me naiive, but it IS about "sharing the love" right?:)

Does it exist? Absolutely, ask any parent! I know, different kind of love but still it's unconditional...
Unconditional love between friends/lovers? I like to think it exists even though I haven't seen it... it's a "faith" thing, like belief in God.. Haven't seen Him either but that doesn't mean He doesn't exist....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Yes it does.

Despite all the problems it has caused me, all the headaches, bruises, unexplained injuries, and even some of the weird places I've awaken in, I will always love tequila. :P

pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt:Pyou and Anvil or Jeiber should hang out;)

I often hope it does... but I have yet to test it... for fear that it doesn't...

Have I ever said that I'm a Chicken Sh*t... well I am...

Scott

Scott..you're cute as hell and just THAT! Chicken shit:P Stop it!...just got our there and take risks..you Jump from Freakin Planes Dude!! Go For It!!!:)

Devils advocate here. Does it really exist though?

Think about it for a second. I am not a father so I can not speak with any degree of authority, however, I can certainly see unconditional love for a child.

What about a SO though? I know if the girlfriend that I have had for almost two years starts in on a meth, crime and prostitution bender then I can assure you that I will not be around long.

Where does unconditional love happen with a SO?

Have Rig will travel ...

Nope, I don't think it truly exists. Even between parents and children. If you truly love your child and they start making some monumentally bad choices, you put conditions on them. Maybe you're not putting conditions on your love for them, but there are certainly conditions.

Same goes for friends/SOs. If they start doing some seriously hurtful/damaging shit, I will help them to get help, and I will put conditions on our relationship (get help or I can't be around you). Again, maybe I'm not putting conditions on my love, but I don't allow people to abuse my love for them as an excuse for bad behavior.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It really does exist, doesn't it? I think so. A friend called today and broke some news to me with the "fear" that I wouldn't be his friend anymore once he shared this tidbit of info. I said "no way, I'm here for you unconditionally and I don't/won't judge...we're still great friends". There was a sigh of relief and laughter. Damn..I just can't believe there are people who are "friends" who would let go of a friendship over simple irrelevant things.

Call me naiive, but it IS about "sharing the love" right?:)

I won't call you naive--just one very special woman.

Walt

Devils advocate here. Does it really exist though?

Think about it for a second. I am not a father so I can not speak with any degree of authority, however, I can certainly see unconditional love for a child.

What about a SO though? I know if the girlfriend that I have had for almost two years starts in on a meth, crime and prostitution bender then I can assure you that I will not be around long.

Where does unconditional love happen with a SO?

It has to be really bad for me to not still care for you and to want the best for you. My last SO, I still want the absolute best for him. I hope he's happy, healthy and living large...truly wish he could smile at me and love me as much in return when we see each other again.

but I don't allow people to abuse my love for them as an excuse for bad behavior.

I agree with you, one should never allow themselves to be abused, but I don't think that is required -to show/have unconditional love. Often times, the hardest choices we have to make in a relationship are in establishing boundaries, especially if that person is harming themselves or others. It is where the term "tough love" evolved.

I have felt unconditional love for s SO. Unfortunately I my trust and faith were betrayed. With him being unapologetic to the point of memory lapse, obviously that is a person not *ugh I hate this word* worthy of what was given.

Additionally, I have felt it parentally. My folks were strict, often to the extreme, but the support given to me and the love I felt never faultered - regardless of how happy they were with my actions.

Just my two cents. :)
Erleichda!

"I just wasn't myself today," Gupta commented. "I wasn't any self today. I was an egoless particle of the universal no-soul."

If Unconditional love truly existed then everyone would not tell me "relationships are alot of work", they would just work.

I do think that your gift of being so kind is admirable. Now if we can only find a way to sell it ...

Have Rig will travel ...

If Unconditional love truly existed then everyone would not tell me "relationships are alot of work", they would just work.

Not true. Skydiving isn't easy, and it is a lot of work to be good at it, but it is worth it. I think on a very fundamental plain, humans are selfish. It is the learning and the giving to get beyond that initial instinct where we can find the altruism that unconditinal love requires. Maybe it is a form of enlightenment, maybe that is why it is so hard to find and happens a handful of times throughout a life.
Erleichda!

"I just wasn't myself today," Gupta commented. "I wasn't any self today. I was an egoless particle of the universal no-soul."

Not true. Skydiving isn't easy, and it is a lot of work to be good at it, but it is worth it. I think on a very fundamental plain, humans are selfish. It is the learning and the giving to get beyond that initial instinct where we can find the altruism that unconditinal love requires. Maybe it is a form of enlightenment, maybe that is why it is so hard to find and happens a handful of times throughout a life.

HAHAHA! I am reading your post in your voice!!!!!!! HAHAHA!

Unconditional love is a type of love, not love itself. Fromm wrote the most incredible little book about what love truly is......The Art of Loving and it is jam packed with information everyone should know. Every page has something to say and this damn little book is DEEP! Check it out!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

It most certainly does exist. I know that when I love I do so unconditionaly. NO matter what; my love is there. I may not like what a person does, or agree with it. I may not always be happy, but I will always love. Through good times and bad happiness, and sorrow; Love will last forever.

--------------------------------------------------
I am a greek midget

Now, my line of work has taught me plenty on this topic. Quite honestly, "unconditional love" from people is exceedingly rare. Unfortunately, the only unconditional love I ever see from anybody is a person's unconditional love for himself/herself.

I love my wife, and I love my son. Right now my love for my wife is conditioned upon some things. Let's say she killed or seriously maimed our son. I could see that love seriously fizzling pretty quickly.

Right now, my love for my son is unconditional. However, as he grows older and develops more free will and more power, that love will become more and more conditional. Let's say he's 17 years-old and kills his mother for disciplining him. At that point, I would probably have lost a wife and a son.

I can't say this for sure, but somehow I get the sense that this would be the case. I guess this is the sad result that comes from being truly honest with myself.[:/]

My wife is hotter than your wife.

It really does exist, doesn't it?

It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I believe the answer is both, "Yes it does" and "No it doesn't".

How one experiences love, or chooses to love, is a very personal thing. You get to create your own reality. If you believe in unconditional love and you practice it, then yes, for you it exists. If you don't believe in it, then it doesn't exist. Neither belief is "more right" than the other and neither belief is wrong.

It most certainly does exist. I know that when I love I do so unconditionaly. I may not like what a person does, or agree with it. I may not always be happy, but I will always love. Through good times and bad happiness, and sorrow; Love will last forever.

If that is the case, and assuming there was at one point, "unconditional love", My question is this; why are you still not with her? If you caught your girlfriend/wife on the bed with another guy going at it like there was no tomorrow would you still have unconditional love? I would not. My love is conditional on trust.

Let me ask you this. Can unconditional love be finite? Do you all of the sudden lose unconditional love? If not then explain the gang of divorces that happen at 20+ years.

Have Rig will travel ...

If you really knew the meaning of love, you wouldn't need to use the word "unconditional".
You seem to use this word too often and you are obsessed with the idea of it all.
Love is love. You either have it or you don't. Strapping the word "unconditional" to it reminds me of the waiver we sign when going to a new dz. It sounds like a disclaimer.
All you need is love. Love is all you need.
Yes i still love ya.:)
But if you say or write the word "Unconditional" in the same sentence of the word "love" one more time, I'm going to find someone else to love. Someone who doesn't question the definition and already knows what love is.
:P:S:o:|;)

It really does exist, doesn't it?

It exists. But sometimes you have no choice but to love someone from a distance.

That doesn't mean that when the shit hits the fan, you can ignore it, but it does mean that most of the rest of the time, you need to stay far away for your own mental and/or physical safety.

There are people in this world with whom I stay out of contact deliberately, but if there were something I could do for them in a crisis, I would. I still love those people and miss them, but being around them for even a little while isn't good for me, so I stay away.

Sometimes, that's all you can do.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Right now, my love for my son is unconditional. However, as he grows older and develops more free will and more power, that love will become more and more conditional. Let's say he's 17 years-old and kills his mother for disciplining him. At that point, I would probably have lost a wife and a son.

This is what I have always thought:

I will love my children no matter what. It would be their behavior that I wouldn't love.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

divorce happen all the time and because people don't understand the true meaning of love.

" love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek it's own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in truth; bears all things, beleives all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Loves never fails.

If two people are in love like this, I guarantee there will be no divorce.

--------------------------------------------------
I am a greek midget