Blink

Mud Flap Altimeter Mount

I'd like to see some pictures of peoples altimeter mounted to their mud flaps, I saw a couple when I was away on a trip and I am interested in making my own.

I've searched the forum and have seen Pat Work's mount, and the Wedge, and someone's even selling on in the classifieds section, but I would like to see some close up pictures, wether you bought it, or made it yourself.

Edit: The altimeter I'd like to mount is an L&B Viso.

Thanks,

Will

I'd like to see some pictures of peoples altimeter mounted to their mud flaps, I saw a couple when I was away on a trip and I am interested in making my own.

I've searched the forum and have seen Pat Work's mount, and the Wedge, and someone's even selling on in the classifieds section, but I would like to see some close up pictures, wether you bought it, or made it yourself.

Edit: The altimeter I'd like to mount is an L&B Viso.

Thanks,

Will

I have seen the L bracket made of carbonfiber. I do not recommend mounting ANY thing that is not flexible on your harness or container. That is a serious injury or even death waiting to happen. If someone doesnt believe me ask the fatality in KCMO in 99.

I saw an awesome idea, for use with a viso. It was a folding eyeglasses case. the viso fit perfectly inside and it flipped open for use, flipped closed for packing etc.

The case was low profile, and I doubt you could stab yourself with it if you fell hard on it.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Bonehead makes the Altimount. it is pictured with an altimaster analogue altimeter, but it isn't drilled for anything in particular so a viso would probably work just fine in it.

Thats the one I was referring to. I love bonehead products so dont get me wrong. I would never mount that on my harness anywhere. But hey thats just me.

DoughH

The case was low profile, and I doubt you could stab yourself with it if you fell hard on it.

FYI the fatality I am referring to was a reserve landing, while not the best flare, it certainly was survivable but when he fell forward the SOFT PILLOW alti mount on his chest flipped up and broke his neck.

I am more concerned about crushing or breaking than a puncture. Again that just me.....

Be well

The mudflap alti mounts I make are from 3/32 ABS plastic. They are stiff enough to hold the Neptune/Viso right where you want it, but will give in case of a bad landing. For the larger AltimasterIII/Galaxies, I add a hole in the mount to be able to "0" adjust the dial. This also acts as a weakened plain for it to flex or break on a bad landing. I've used the pillow wedge mount on my chest strap and much prefer the mudflap style.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

The mudflap alti mounts I make are from 3/32 ABS plastic. They are stiff enough to hold the Neptune/Viso right where you want it, but will give in case of a bad landing. For the larger AltimasterIII/Galaxies, I add a hole in the mount to be able to "0" adjust the dial. This also acts as a weakened plain for it to flex or break on a bad landing. I've used the pillow wedge mount on my chest strap and much prefer the mudflap style.

Perfect!! That, I would do (if I didnt wear it on my wrist). the hole is a great addition!

Perfect!! That, I would do (if I didnt wear it on my wrist). the hole is a great addition!

I just bought a sheet of the ABS. I plan on making a bunch and I'll bring some to SF. You might just start wearing your alti on your mudflap.;)

Jump an Infinity

I just bought a sheet of the ABS. I plan on making a bunch and I'll bring some to SF. You might just start wearing your alti on your mudflap.;)

thats sounds great, lets put them in our booth and sell them. AMOF Ill help you get them in the gear store. ummm if i took it off my wrist it would go on my hip. Only need it at exit and while tracking:S

I think he sells them for $15.

I just saw the Bonehead mount and it looks great, and very simple. I was thinking about making it out of 2024/5052 aluminum, but I'm not sure if they would bend/break if fallen on so maybe I'll try PVC, or Acetal. I like the idea of aluminum just so I can use a press/brake to bend it.

How do you bend yours, just heat it with a torch?

Please see my attached photo. I drilled four holes in the bottom portion of my Bonehead mount, I removed the backing plate from my Galaxy Extreme and screwed the altimeter to the mount.

Step two. My favorite rigger installed two stainless steel grommets in the mudflap. I then drilled two holes in the vertical part of the mount, and using two "Chicago Screws," attached the mount to the mudflap.

Bonehead makes the Altimount. it is pictured with an altimaster analogue altimeter, but it isn't drilled for anything in particular so a viso would probably work just fine in it.

Thats the one I was referring to. I love bonehead products so dont get me wrong. I would never mount that on my harness anywhere. But hey thats just me.

DoughH

FYI the fatality I am referring to was a reserve landing, while not the best flare, it certainly was survivable but when he fell forward the SOFT PILLOW alti mount on his chest flipped up and broke his neck.

I am more concerned about crushing or breaking than a puncture. Again that just me.....

Be well

IIRC it crushed his windpipe, and he asphyxiated.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I made mine similar to the Pat Works type, and I used 1/4 inch clear polycarbonate. It is quite stiff, and would take a hell of a lot to break it. I've had it on for a little while and I'm still on the fence about it. I'll probably make a thinner one someday. But I really like the that its clear, not only does it look pretty cool, but I can see my reserve handle through it.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Edit:.....
Take a look at the one for sale in the classifieds and notice how much room there is between the bottom of the mud flap and where the mount turns a 90 to the horizontal position. You want to make sure that you have no slack room there, otherwise your mount can slide up and the top "hook" piece can interfere with the three-ring assembly, preventing a cutaway. It also says that it can fit any rig...not true, mud flaps are different and for this reason you really ought to custom make it unless you're buying something adjustable. I made three before I had it the right size where it wouldn't/couldn't move. Remember that the mud flap material will move around and distort some, so even though it may look like its a tight fit, give it tug and see what happens. I have a Wings container where the flaps are angled on the bottom, so this issue was pretty exaggerated on mine. Anyway, just my $.02.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

I cut a piece of bodyboard(pic1), made a cordura cover and used the backing plate to attach the altimeter(pic2) and use the velcro from a surfboard leash to wrap it around the mud flap (pic3, 4, and 5)
Ive been using it for around 250+ jumps without any problems (pic6, 7) B|

HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I was at this years Black & Gold and noticed the Knights wearing something very similar to what Yeyo designed except this particular design went around the leg strap... Very unobtrusive and slick. I hadn't seen that before and asked around. Apparently, a rigger at Raeford makes them, although I can't confirm. If anyone knows for sure and has contact info let us know.

Nice design Yeyo!
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

Here are some quick shots of mine. I didn't have the rig to show it installed. It is long because this one fits my old Talon rig with a long mudflap. These are sized to fit a specific length. They are held in place by the top folded over lip and how they curve inside the harness. They take just a second to slide in under the flap. If you or you your packer pulls the rig while doing the lines, I suggest pulling the alti off so it doesn't drag. But that's so easy with this design. I like to have my alti mounted with it rotated 90 degrees to the left. That way I can always see the 0-6K portion of the dial, no matter ho hard I arch. In the photo of the back, you can see the hole where you can adjust the dial on the alti.

After looking at how long it takes me to make these things, I'll end up selling them for $20.

Jump an Infinity