skydemon2

Rules......

You can make a main canopy and jump it, but once you make it a canopy then technically a rigger has to fix it or sew on it, etc.

Weird huh?

The FAA allows manufacturers to do maintenance on their own equipment. No rigger required.

Mark

I was going to work with my master rigger to build a scaled down hybrid sail version of my Nitron. He said before we jump it as a normal main we would have to hook it to another harness, and direct bag jump it with a regular rig on for a couple dozen jumps(2 mains,1 reserve, 3 canopies total). He died of heart issues before we got a chance.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

You can make a main canopy and jump it, but once you make it a canopy then technically a rigger has to fix it or sew on it, etc.

Weird huh?

The FAA allows manufacturers to do maintenance on their own equipment. No rigger required.

Mark

Yes, but IIRC, you have to have made three canopies to be considered a manufacturer...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Mark

Yes, but IIRC, you have to have made three canopies to be considered a manufacturer...

You recall incorrectly.

The FAA has no definition of main parachute manufacturer.

They don't really have a definition of reserve manufacturer, either, except insofar as it requires manufacture under a TSO. You don't actually have to make anything, let along three of anything; you just have to show that IF you made something, it would be identical to the test (approved) article.

Mark

Hi sky,

I made my own canopy once. I just took it out to the dz and jumped it. Of course, I had a bunch of reserve rides until I 'learned' how to pack it. :S

If you are really wanting to do it, then I strongly recommend you give it a try. You might want to buy just a small amount of fabric and make a 1-cell canopy before you spend a lot of money on materials.

Once you have completed the 1-cell project you might decide that you do not want to do an entire canopy.

Oh, and the manufacturing standards are what you call them.

Have fun, I did,

JerryBaumchen

Considering I cant sew the "standards" may be pretty low!! :D I would plan on making a smaller version to try it out and practice. I woulnt do a full size until I figure it out.

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

Judging by your sewing background, this is going to take a few years.
Start with an "Introduction to sewing" course at your local sewing machine shop.
The second step involves buying a rugged, old, cast iron sewing machine that will handle size 18 needles and E-thread.
Make a few back packs, sleeping bags, rain coats, etc to refine your technique.
Then make a few ram-air kites before attempting sewing a man-rated canopy.

Considering I cant sew the "standards" may be pretty low!! :D I would plan on making a smaller version to try it out and practice. I woulnt do a full size until I figure it out.

:D:D:D
Thats classic dude. Just buy a shit ton of duct tape and use a bunch of old sheets. And wear a camera!!!;)
BASE 1384

I thought you could do anything you wanted to your main? isn't it just the reserve that the FAA cares about? I mean couldn't I jump my rig with my main missing? and just use the reserve? and if that's the case, shouldn't I be able to fill my main tray with dirty laundry, rocks, fucked up main that I built with duct tape and tarp from the hardware store:) or what ever I felt like? just the harness and reserve are TSO right? ohh, and definitely talk with brain he showed me one of his sensei (sp?) prototypes and was explaining it and I was dumbfounded by the shit he thought of. cool guy I'm sure he'll be glad to help you out.

Considering I cant sew

You can't sew, but you want to make your own canopy? Are you an aeronautical engineer? Or a pattern maker?

Also, are you aware that zero-p fabric is one of the most difficult things to sew?

I am none of those things but I am a person with a brain and free time on my hands and I love flying canopies and often look at them and get ideas in my head about how to make them. This would be nothing more than a hobby, unless I came up with a good design. I dont need a degree, I will figure out what works and what doesnt and Ill learn what I have to. Its not a race if it takes a few years then it does!! Maybe Ill start with a manufacturered canopy and alter it with ideas before I make one from scratch. And just so you all know I will have video for you when/if I jump a homemade chute! It the least I could do!!!:P:P:P
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!