ryan_d_sucks

Why did my Dytter go off?

I didn't realize that the old original dytters doubled as alarm clocks...
At approximately 7:03 am this morning I was awoken from my slumber by an obnoxius beeping sound coming from the floor. I just bought a new alarm clock on Monday but haven't set it yet so I thought maybe that was malfunctioning. But after smashing it to pieces I realized it was in fact not the culprit.

I looked across the room and saw my helmet on the floor and realized it was my dytter. Why in the world would it be going off? It lasted much longer than it normally does-- Probably close to 60 seconds. I thought maybe it was changes in the atmospheric pressure, but now that I'm up for real I took a look at my altimeter and its only off zero by 500 feet. My dytter was set around 3500 feet (or as close as I can tell with the primitive display of the original dytter).

Any ideas?

You had it turned down to a point where the barometric pressure was somewhere close to that of ground level the day you last set it. There was a significant change in weather conditions (and consequently barometric pressure) and it made your Dytter go off.

Since your already up, can I have a cup of coffee? :)

Arrive Safely

John

You were going low in your dream. You didn't know it, but your Dytter kept up with the challenge.

He should be thankful he didn't pull any lower, else he would have needed a new Cypres cartridge and a repack, too.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My old, original, Dytter started doing weird stuff like that too. New batteries didn't help. Tried that a couple of times. So, I broke down and bought one of those new fangled Pro Dytters. I still have my old Dytter though, I think... in my "skydiving stuff junk yard"... aka... the closet in the back room. :D

You had it turned down to a point where the barometric pressure was somewhere close to that of ground level the day you last set it. There was a significant change in weather conditions (and consequently barometric pressure) and it made your Dytter go off.

If he had it set at 3500ft, the barometric pressure will not change THAT much. It may vary a few hundred feet is all. The most I have ever seen the altimeter in my airplane change was about 250ft. Or perhaps his LZ was lower then where he lives?
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

No, the dytter hasn't even been out to the DZ since I bought it. I got it and a protec earlier this month for $20. I set it to alarm at around 3500feet using the method for setting them that I read about here: Turn to the left until it beeps, wait. When it stops move it to the right, each dot representing 1000 feet.

I guess if its trashed, I'm really not out any money seeing as the protec is probably worth 20 on its own.

No, the dytter hasn't even been out to the DZ since I bought it. I got it and a protec earlier this month for $20. I set it to alarm at around 3500feet using the method for setting them that I read about here: Turn to the left until it beeps, wait. When it stops move it to the right, each dot representing 1000 feet.

I guess if its trashed, I'm really not out any money seeing as the protec is probably worth 20 on its own.

It's pretty hard to trash those old Dytters. I have 2 and they work fine after not useing them for years. Change the battery, jump it, then see what happens. :)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com