For the cops out there, thanks guys (not sarcastic)

so okay, I have my issues with Authority as much or more than the next guy with a lead foot, a fast car, and a loud stereo. Writing me a ticket, well then sure you can explain it to me Officer (while it's pouring rain).

But since you rarely hear about the 10,000 times they encounter people and help them, you just hear it 24x7 when things go bad, here's one that turned out well.

My uncle is 80 years old, lives alone on the central Oregon coast, and went into town to get some groceries. Evidently he took a wrong turn on the way home and drove South on Hwy 101 instead of North, erraticly, until he ran out of gas -- in Crescent City, California(!). He was parked beside the hwy, and out of sorts you might say. Well the officer (and I still don't know the agency, local or CHP) took care of him and got him into a local hospital. My cousins at the same time went to visit him and found his front door open, car gone, house empty. :o Took a couple hours to find him down the coast, but things turned out okay. And my uncle, a tall white-haired WWII vet, and generally nice guy, is doing much better now as well.

So while it was just another call for an officer someplace, he has our family's appreciation. Thanks for the work you do guys and gals.
Cheers!

Blue Skies

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Good on them.

If anyone in here really wants to have a real nightmare... just imagine our country with no police at all. They do make this a livable place and do a hard but necessary job daily.

Thanks to those of you who serve us all.

Very nice story. There were 2 times that cops really helped me out. I remember I was in College, and I was driving to another college (about 1 1/2 hours from me), and I was on the highway, when my car broke down on me. I was able to get to the side of the road, and I was taking a few deep breaths, just trying to figure out what my next move was going to be (we didn't have cell phones back then), when all of a sudden a cop pulled up behind me. Asked me what was happening, I told him, and he called a tow truck for me. I was so greatful.

The 2nd time was a few years later (still in college), when a friend of mine and I were training to make a bike trip from Syracuse to Vermont (we thought it'd be a fun time). We were about 10 miles outside of Syracuse, and we got to this huge hill. I was being more cautious on it, and when i hit the top of it, I saw my friend sitting at the bottom of the hill. I figured she was just goofing off, waiting for me, but it turned out that her foot slipped off the pedal, went into the spoke of the front tire, and she flipped over the handlebars, and cut herself up pretty bad (needed 17 stitches). When I reached her, I was just about to think of what needed to get done, when these 2 cops driving from the other direction stopped and asked if everything was alright. They called medical services, drove me back to get my car, so i could take the bikes, etc... I was so thankful. Cops really do a great job! :)
Glad everything turned out well for your uncle as well!

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

One of the reasons I joined up was when I realised they werent just fun crushing monsters. My Nan lived alone and was due to go on holiday. For this reason we had no reason to visit her or call her at home. Unfortunately the night before her going away she had a stroke and fell over banging her head on the table and was incapacitated in her home. Her friend was concerned when she didnt arrive and rang the police. They made enquiries with neighbours and then forced entry to her house and found her. Thankfully still alive though she had been lying there injured for a couple of days. If it wasnt for her friend and the police doing there job we might not have known until a good 3 weeks afterwards. It would have been dreadful if shed been in those conditions all that time. We only live 2 miles away. :(

Well done guys & girls. Now im paying it forward :);)

Edit: to add photo. always hard at work :)

Here in Oklahoma I have a VERY high respect for the Highway Patrol. Every say I drive 214 miles round trip to work. Most of the drive is turnpike. I can't count the number of times I have seen patrolmen stopped to change a tire or helping with a stalled car, night or day. I also can't tell you the number of articals I have read of patorlmen killed in the line of duty. They don't know who the people are for sure when they stop to help.
Yeah, sometimes they piss us off when they stop us and we think we haven't done anything wrong, but if you take a minute to think about what they face daily it's a job most of us wouldn't do for any amount of money.

THANK YOU to ALL law enforcement officers!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

Good thread. Since my mid-30's I have developed what might be described as an attitude problem regarding the police. This occurred as I began to realize how far they are willing to go to do a job that includes offensive intrusion into our lives in ways that just 25 years ago would have been unthinkable.

If there was one incident that finally brought this to a head it was in spring 1994 when a local cop arrested a woman in a Woodstock, Georgia supermarket for spanking her kid. (A young employee, who had obviously been brainwashed by the hysterical "spanking-is-child-abuse" community had witnessed the incident and called 911. After having 11 years to cool off and think about it I still believe that cop deserved to be shot dead in the parking lot. Damn nazi scumbag....)

In the old days police work could be described as helping people and chasing bad guys. They still do these things, of course, but now their job description has been expanded to include the enforcement of liberalism (hassling people for doing things that used to be okay), coupled with a penchant for overkill, i.e. making arrests when they could write tickets, etc.

I might add that I personally have no axe to grind: I've never been in trouble and as I celebrate my 48th birthday today I do so with a clean record. I can also site several occasions where the cops have helped me. But what really sucks is that, thanks to secular liberal laws recently enacted by politicians eager to prove they "care" about (insert issue du jour here) The cops have been transformed into an army of well meaning, constitutionally illiterate folks who think nothing of searching school lockers & automobiles without cause, stopping "free" Americans and demanding to see their papers simply because they chose to take a late night walk,
and intruding into your home and arresting you because you had a fight with your wife (even if nobody has been hurt and nobody wants to press charges.)

I never even used to have an opinion about them, and if I DID stop a moment to think about them my attitude was one of respect. A large chunk of that respect remains, but it's not the same as it used to be.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Airman-I have to reply....As for in the supermarket....if the clerk pushes it and wants to sign a CA (citizens arrest) then you have to take the arrest.
Some depts give a fair amt of leeway-you could just cite release (give a ticket with a court date to appear, and finish the paperwork later) and some dept dont.
Thank OJ for the new laws that mandate an arrest when one party claims they got hit in domestics.
I've advised the male half that he should leave and go to a friends house till it blows over-I explain that she makes the claim-then I have to take him to jail; even if it's found to be unfounded later and it sounds like BS to me, I still have to hook him. I have no ability to make a "discretionary decision" in these cases.
So yea, there's some things that suck, but don't always blame the patrol cop-some things they have no choice over....

When I was in Ireland, a garda (Irish police) took the time to help my friend and me. We were totally lost, and on a round-a-bout. The round-a-bouts in Ireland don't always indicate which way the next big city is. Here in California, we see signs for Los Angeles when we're a few miles outside of San Francisco, but Ireland isn't always like that. Sometimes, the road signs indicate the name of the next town on the motorway, which is sometimes a little tiny town that may or may not be on your tourist map.

My friend and I were trying to get to Galway, and had gotten turned around, because we made a lap or two on the round-a-bout trying to find the right exit, and couldn't figure it out, and we'd gone around in circles enough that we weren't even really sure which way we'd come from. So, I kept driving around the round-a-bout, hoping my friend would figure out where we were supposed to be, and after many laps around the circle, I saw these flashing blue lights in the mirror. Cursing, I pulled over, figuring it was against the law to make that many trips around a round-a-bout, and that I was going to get a ticket or something.

I rolled down my window, and the garda bent down to eye-level with me and grinned, saying "A little lost, are ya?"

Realizing that we weren't sure which way to go, he'd taken the time to stop us just to give us directions! We were happily putting towards Galway a few minutes later.

Police officers are special people. As most of you know i lost my sister 4 months ago. She was a cop and on patrol when she was killed. I miss her so much, and have such a high respect for anyone willing to risk their life to keep me safe.

Please visit the link about my sister. Feel free to leave a reflection. You'd think in time it would be easier, but it gets harder every day without her.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Driving down a very deserted outback road one day I came across an empty patrol car. Nearby was an overturned small vehichle with several dead bodies in it... a couple of them children.

After a bit of a look around I saw a police officer in the middle distance walking off down the road.
I drove along to him to see if he was OK. He waved me on.

I'll never forget the look on his face or the feeling of distress emanating from that very large man.

Turned out he knew the victims well (?). Police officers have to soak up what is often the worst of things in our society for low pay and shytful conditions. When they're not victimising innocent people they have my utmost respect.

1010, your handle is very similar to "10-10" which is what California cops who use the "Ten Code" say as they get out of their patrol cars at the end of shift, telling dispatch they are "out of service" At the start of a shift they will say "One Adam Twelve (or whatever) 10-8" (In service)

You are welcome.

I was a cop for 13 years before I was force-retired and really enjoyed it. Just the wierdness, and the ability to help people, and I did in fact save one life, for sure.

Your story reminds me of a daughter and her mom, and the daughter was fussing over the mom and I went over to see if I could help and it became clear to me ( due to experience) that her mom was having a heart attack. I called the firefighters and sure enough the lady was thready and needed to go to the hospital, not get on a train and die.

It was fun. Cops have fun. At least I did.

Sunny? I'm so sorry about your sister. Really, Truly, Sorry.

JP

Guest 1010
so 10-10 is off duty! I didn't know that, sounds like another way to say time for :D or [whiskey]! Cool. Thanks for your service, you and everyone else here that have worn blue or are family of police officers.

Sunny, I can only imagine your heartache. I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm closest with my kid brother, and losing him is just something I don't think about. I do know that if I go first, I'd want him to continue on with life in the fullest, loving his family & kids, and remember the great times we've shared, comforted by knowing that we'll see each other again sometime on the other side.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

When they're not victimising innocent people they have my utmost respect.

But victimizing the innocent is so much more fun, and more safe, than dealing with actual bad guys. You guys just want to spoil all of our fun.:P

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

A few years ago I came home from a late night out and one of my neighbors ran up to me in my driveway as though something horrible had happened. She said The cops were in your house!!!!!!!

"Your alarm went off and then some cops came and climbed into your window and they WENT INTO YOUR HOUSE!!!!"

She seemed angry... and expected me to be angry too. I was just confused.

I went in and found nothing amis in my house.

There was a note on my breakfast bar that said something like "Your premise alarm went off and we got called over because no one answered your phone. We entered your house through the open front window because we felt it necessary to check for your safety. Please contact if you have any questions.

PS

You should make sure your windows have good, solid locks. And use them.

Your cats loved chasing our flashlights.

I called and asked for the officer, explaining to the dispatcher what had happened and that he had left a note. She said that he was busy but she would pass a message along.

I told her that I had called to thank him for looking after my house.

There was a long pause...... she said "You called to thank him?" Hold a minute. I'll get him.

I guess people don't call to say thanks very often.
Owned by Remi #?

I know, I know, I'm a girl and we don't seem to have the same "issues" with cops. But, growing up I knew the cops in my area by name.

My area was more upscale--parties were always busted before 10 p.m.---there's this no noise tolerance thing.

But, the local cops knew me and my house--only child, parents always gone = party house or place to stay when you don't want a curfew.

They were always SO cool. They let my friends take their beer & liquor with them, provided it was unopened and they put it in the trunk. They would even hang out a while (I have some hilarious photographs!).

They even stopped by a party at my friends house where we were having a "5-finger Christmas scavenger hunt" (I know, I'm ashamed, but at least I wasn't the one who stole the baby Jesus. That's just WRONG!). They didn't do anything---but I was a little tipsy and somehow convinced them to take these funny photos as if they were arresting us. We have hilarious pictures of us with the cops.

And speeding tickets? Yes, I got 8 in the first couple years I had my license---but I put nitches in my dash board every time I was pulled over and when I finally traded in my car I had 29 nitches! And only 8 tickets!

Cops are the best:D:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Airman-I have to reply....As for in the supermarket....if the clerk pushes it and wants to sign a CA (citizens arrest) then you have to take the arrest.
Some depts give a fair amt of leeway-you could just cite release (give a ticket with a court date to appear, and finish the paperwork later) and some dept dont.
Thank OJ for the new laws that mandate an arrest when one party claims they got hit in domestics.
I've advised the male half that he should leave and go to a friends house till it blows over-I explain that she makes the claim-then I have to take him to jail; even if it's found to be unfounded later and it sounds like BS to me, I still have to hook him. I have no ability to make a "discretionary decision" in these cases.
So yea, there's some things that suck, but don't always blame the patrol cop-some things they have no choice over....

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I know a lot of this crap is imposed on you from above, but I am distressed that a good many of these guys are willing to carry out the orders. The cop in the supermarket should have apologized to the woman and maybe cited the clerk for false report of a crime. At the very least, he could have written the mom a ticket instead of making an arrest.

You claim you have no room for discretion. I disagree. You could refuse to make an arrest and deal with your supervisor later. Resign, if necessary, and find honest work, but don't tell me you have no choice but to hassle an innocent citizen because O.J. killed his wife and her boyfriend after he caught her cheating.

At my last radio job I spent more than four years reading police reports daily. There were numerous situations where the cops would make arrests for minor, non-violent violations that could have been handled by writing a ticket. There is no excuse for arresting a carload full of people over a piece of marijuana as big as your fingernail. Neither is it your business to be randomly stopping passers-by on the interstate and searching their cars under the pretext of "failure to maintain lane" or some other fictitious "offense."

In one case, the cop was trying to stop a guy for driving with a suspended license. He followed the guy into his driveway and right into his house. No warrant. No serious threat to public safety that would justify such an intrusion. He just walked in, and the Fourth Amendment be damned. Over a minor traffic violation.

Many arrests began with the cop just stopping someone on the street and demanding to see an ID. I thought the difference between "free" America and a totalitarian society was that in America the cops can't just demand to see your papers without a valid reason, but police training schools have apparently failed to receive the fax.

I have been taking late-night walks for 30 years, and don't carry my wallet. If you have a valid reason to check me out, you can begin by explaining why you're asking. (Example: I fit the description of someone you're looking for, etc.) But I don't owe you an explanation if you're request is motivated by nothing more pressing than "I wonder what this guy is doing?..."

If a motorist swerves to avoid an animal and slips on wet leaves & ends up in a ditch, you can help by arranging for a wrecker to pull him out and maybe offering a word of encouragement. But if you are going to compund his misfortune by writing a ticket for going too fast for conditions" or some other nebulous charge that can neither be proven nor refuted, you are doing nothing to benefit society and very little to encourage respect for yourself or the agency you represent. And if you are REQUIRED to write that ticket even if you think its overkill, it's time to reconsider your career choice.

My brother-in-law is a recently retired NYC cop. He mostly loved the work (and in his later years became the precinct's maintenance man - he could fix anything.) But years ago he told of a time when he stopped a guy for making an illegal turn. The guy was from out of state and was lost and confused. Bob understood how intimidating it can be for a visitor driving through Manhatten; he gave the guy a verbal warning and offered directions to help him on his way. That guy drove away with profound thanks and respect for the police and the city. Meanwhile, Bob was chewed out by his supervisor for not writing a ticket.

We know you guys are under some pressures we can't always understand, but it would be reassuring to hear about the rank & file speaking out against being used in such a manner. When you find yourself arresting somebody who clearly doesn't deserve to be arrested, something's wrong.

Thanks again,
Jon

Hmmm, yep, you've got some points. There's bone head skydivers, and there's bonehead cops.
I'll be the first to admit that there's cops that make every other cops job harder.
And don't worry, if a cop bones up, the courts will decide on the constitutionalty of it, and then that policy is implemented.
So if you do run into a dipshit-please p-form and take it to court! It'll make it easier for the rest of us! Just please remember that the majority do have common sense!
Hey, you've got a 415 neighbors, one has a chickenshit $158.00 warrant; take him to jail on it and it solves the immed. problem, you won't have to come back and it can't escalate further-what would you do? On the surface and in a report it sounds chickenshit.... I'm sure your brother-in-law can tell you lots of instances like this one.
And there are some things with no discretionary leeway. Others there's lots!
Somebody with a joint or two? Not otherwise causing problems? I tell them to throw it out on the ground; I used to tell them to "make it disappear" but stopped that line after one guy ate it! I laughed my ass off!