ccowden

Parachutist cover is ugly as sin!

I understand the accomplishment and significance of the photo, but damn it is ugly! Bland colors, doesn't grab your eye, hard to see the formation, cluttered looking..... You have to really strain to see the formation against the dull, crowded background. It is a good thing most readers get it with their USPA membership, cuz no one would want to pick it up!

Sure, it is a great photo, and pretty amazing, but is there no thought put into what a cover should be? I would think you want something colorful and eye-catching, that grabs your attention. I mean, just because it is the big accomplishment of the moment, does it HAVE to be the cover?

I am not taking away anything from the accomplishment or the photographer. I just think it looks like crap on the cover.

Nature of the beast on Big Way jumps, I'm afraid with the camera flyer so far away. Perhaps next time they can bring along a few square miles of light-colored tarp for background.

Seriously, though, the pic might have been better used as the centerfold given the larger layout.

Either way I remain supremely jealous.

Perhaps next time they can bring along a few square miles of light-colored tarp for background.

Or they could have used one of the up-shots from underneath and used the light blue sky for the background. I always prefer the up-shot to the down-shot.

Canuck

At Zhills, we run into this problem. If the background is over town, it is irritating to separate the jumpers from the background and is less appealing. The picture becomes "cluttered".

If the background is the solid green of the dz, the swamp, or airport, the pic of the jumpers is nice and clear. A light haze works well too.

I understand what you mean about the upshot with the blue in the background because of the clarity. Personally, I like a top view.

Again, I am not debating WHY it looks that way, or that the photograph is amazing, I am simply saying that it is an ugly cover for a magazine. I think just because it is the big thing right now, it doesn't HAVE to be the cover. Or like stated above, they could use a differnt angle. Or an entirely different idea for shot to capture the event. Some imagination would be nice, instead of just using the "money shot."

I see your point, but I totally disagree. I think its a great photo BECAUSE of the composition- the distance from the formation and the "busy" background make the shot. There's something sort of awe inspiring about it, like the huge freefall formation is just part of the whole landscape. I don't think its ugly at all.

And YES, it does have to be on the cover. Its not just any world record, its a milestone. Sure, the record will probably be broken in another 2 years, by 27 or something odd like that, but how long will it be before there's a 500 way?

I can usually guess what the covershot will be since if there is a record anywhere it's usually cover material. JFTC, CRW, 400 way, 300 way, etc. It never fails that at the soonest publication date a picture is on the cover.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well of course, and that's how it should be. Its a skydiving magazine, this is a skydiving world record. ALL the records make the cover, and a milestone like this especially belongs there. I believe in the original post Chris asked if it needed to be on the cover, and I answered "yes"! I know we're getting a little jaded with all these new world records and all (yawn- another world record shot on the cover.....) but 400 is pretty important. Who knows if we'll ever make it to 500.

...but how long will it be before there's a 500 way?

Between 2 and 4 years, tops.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Have you actually looked at it in person? You can't even count the bodies if you wanted to since the background is way too distracting. I looked at some of the camera views and I honestly think they choose one of the worst ones to publish as a cover photo. The photo would have worked perfectly as a story photo, but not as a cover.

The article was'nt even wrote for it yet and they put it as the cover photo. Instead the inside articles are instead on Eloy's and Sebastians Christmas Boogies, The Fatality summery and 2 instuctional articles. I'd like to see the cover photo at least relate to one of the main stories being covered in an issue. :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

...but how long will it be before there's a 500 way?

Between 2 and 4 years, tops.:)
Lessee... observing the trends, it looks like its getting increasingly difficult - higher altitudes, plane breakdowns, only 2 dives per day instead of 3, more complex logistics, law of large numbers, etc.

I think they're probably going to do 450 next time (2-4 years) and the 500 within 10 years. Then that would be good for me, because, by then, I'd have the thousand (or two) jumps and hours of windtunnel time. ;)

But that's my impression based on looking at past World Team history.