cocheese

If you could change one thing here ...

Less regulation on what's said. It's a forced happy land and no one can speak their mnd if it isn't nice.

Maybe I'm just used to other boards, though, where we can say pretty much anything we want. If you don't like it, don't read it and grow some thicker skin.

*golfclap*

Times 2

Normally I would agree with you, but honestly when people are not held to a higher standard of behavior, things tend to devolve to a higher level of crap flinging than is tolerable. :|

But that's just me. I could be wrong. :|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Different forum software, to be honest.

vBulletin, if you wanna get specific. Larger avs, better search, inline image viewing(one of my biggest pet peeves here, to be honest), auto-link parsing, thread previewing, ability to see who made the last post in a thread before goign into it, etc etc.
cavete terrae.

It would be that people show up in the forums like they do in person, rather than using their virtual identity to be something or someone they are not. [:/]

Just think . . . no trolls, no alter-egos, no flamethrowers hidden behind anonymity.

Well thank God you aren't HH then; otherwise I'd never be allowed to post! [:/]:ph34r:

I'm actually a mean, bitchy redhead with an attitude in real life! :)

:|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Normally I would agree with you, but honestly when people are not held to a higher standard of behavior, things tend to devolve to a higher level of crap flinging than is tolerable. :|

But that's just me. I could be wrong. :|

I agree with you, Rebecca. I've seen really heavy-handed moderating, and this place doesn't have it.

The vast majority of people on here hold themselves to high standards in real life, and in real life the threat of bodily harm or, worse yet, seeing someone's face when you say something truly hurtful holds people back from saying what they may be thinking. It's far too easy to throw something out online because you don't see the effect. Reasonable moderation helps keep that at bay.

There's still plenty of drama here, plenty of disagreement, plenty of times where it's quite obvious people don't agree and don't like each other. The moderators can't (and don't) force us all to like each other. But they can moderate the basest of instincts. And I'm glad they do.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Less regulation on what's said. It's a forced happy land and no one can speak their mnd if it isn't nice.

Maybe I'm just used to other boards, though, where we can say pretty much anything we want. If you don't like it, don't read it and grow some thicker skin.

Believe me, I'd like to say what is on my mind sometimes too, but isn't no moderation what brought rec.skydiving down?

Sangiro investigated other forums to see what worked and didn't work over the long haul before he created the rules here. There's definitely a method to his madness.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Different forum software, to be honest.
vBulletin, if you wanna get specific.

I don't think so.

inline image viewing(one of my biggest pet peeves here, to be honest),

Available but turned off. One of my biggest pet peeves as well. It's untidy bandwith-gobbling functionality. Couldn't disagree more with you on this.

ability to see who made the last post in a thread before goign into it, etc etc.

Have that and it's turned off. Pretty useless and takes up space. Doesn't really tell you much about the thread if there's more than 1 new reply to it. Marginally useful when there's a single new reply. I'm not big on information clutter that really doesn't say much. Apply the Pareto principle.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

inline image viewing(one of my biggest pet peeves here, to be honest),

Available but turned off. One of my biggest pet peeves as well. It's untidy bandwith-gobbling functionality. Couldn't disagree more with you on this.

I can see where you're coming from, I guess my point of view is that if someone doesn't wanna see the images, they can simply turn off image loading in their browser. It shouldn't affect server-side bandwidth unless dropzone.com is caching linked images, which would be a decidedly bizarre way to set things up.

For ATTACHMENTS, I totally agree with you, though. Attachments should remain as links, but for stuff hosted on other servers...
cavete terrae.

I use a dialup at home; the last thing I want is inline images, and to have to select which images to load, and which ones not to (e.g. each of the little icons that says if the thread is updated counts as an image, and I want those).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I use a dialup at home; the last thing I want is inline images, and to have to select which images to load, and which ones not to (e.g. each of the little icons that says if the thread is updated counts as an image, and I want those).

Wendy W.

But most peoples work computer has more than 4 megs of storage space.:D

ok - so it is a redundant system - but 4 megs?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'd like to be able to post a favorable review for Parasport jumpsuits, but there's no link in the "gear/jumpsuits and clothing" section for Parasport products.

I pm'd HH and two other moderators about this...and no luck.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Hey, leave the Mods out of it. We can't do any technical stuff on the site. It's not our fault if HH is being a slacker. :P
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

ability to see who made the last post in a thread before goign into it, etc etc.
------------------------------------------------------------
Have that and it's turned off. Pretty useless and takes up space. Doesn't really tell you much about the thread if there's more than 1 new reply to it. Marginally useful when there's a single new reply. I'm not big on information clutter that really doesn't say much.

When you switched servers (or whatever it is you do to upgrade) that function was viewable for about 4 hours. I remember cause i was bad and responded to every thread so it would say "last post made by sunshine" or whatever it said. Hehe, just another thing for us to abuse....:D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Hey, leave the Mods out of it. We can't do any technical stuff on the site. It's not our fault if HH is being a slacker. :P

Well, tell us exactly what you do. Riiiight
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Well, tell us exactly what you do. Riiiight

Babysit you! :ph34r:

That's about it. Then again, we don't get paid anything, so it kind of evens out. :P