ntacfreefly

Georgia Motorcycle Insurance

Hey folks,

I've been itching to get back in the saddle for some time so I called my insurance company today to get a quote for a CBR600f4i. The fuckers wanted $3900 A YEAR!!!!

I have a clean driving record, married, over 25 blah blah blah all the usual stuff that brings down insurance but WTF?? Anyone out there have any good insurance companies to recommend that are decently priced?

Oh, btw Progressive gave the above quote.

Thanks.

Blues,
Ian

Buy a Moped :D.. I hear women love men that ride them and you'll save in gas as well.....:P

The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest willing to let them.

Unfortunately, even if you're a good rider with a perfect record, owning a sport bike means you get to be judged by all the squids that have come before you and will come after you.

Yeah. I see a lot of parallels between sport bike riding and canopy flying (mindsets not skillsets). It's been a while since I've ridden, and it's been brutal not to be on a bike in a long time, but I can't wait to get back in the saddle. Hell, maybe a SV650S is a better choice? It's been another of the recommendations for someone getting back into riding. Not sure if that bikes insurance will be the same though.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Depends on the laws in your state. Colorado for years had "no-fault" state laws, so insurance here was cheap (you weren't allowed to sue others in accidents).

Insurance went way down when they dropped the no-fault laws. Just the opposite of what you're describing. The no-fault kept them hi.
------
Michael

Hell, maybe a SV650S is a better choice? It's been another of the recommendations for someone getting back into riding. Not sure if that bikes insurance will be the same though.

I am in the UK but i had an SV650s precisely because it was massively cheaper to insure than a supersports. In our groupings here, the CBR is around group 14 and the SV is group 8 or 9 i think. (That may of course not mean anything to you!!)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I have a Honda Shadow 750. It costs me $130.00 a year from Progressive because Cotton States does not write policies on bikes. That is just liability and unisured motorists (medical payments).

I live in Alabama.

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Check out Nationwide. I bought a 2001 YZF600 in 2002 and paid $700.00 for the year in Philadelphia. It is getting cheaper each year. This is a city where insurance is extremely high. Sportbikes get stolen and a lot of people drive without insurance.

The yzf600r's are nice too :)

hell yea they are. I miss mine terribly. :(

but i sold it for the best of reasons. Too young, too dumb. I was just gonna get hurt. so I moved to something a little slower.

Ian,
I had Allstate back home, it was the cheapest out of everyone (including Geico) but being a different state none of that may apply here. I was under 25 and unmarried then too and full coverage was about 70 per month.

Good luck and color me jelous. Ive been wanting back on a bike for a while now.... :|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Jesus Progressive pisses me off. I ditched those sons of bitches 2 years ago. They gave me the same price they gave you. So I gave up even thinking I could own a decent bike. Then when I recently switched to State Farm I inquired how much they charge and got a quote of like 40 a month for full coverage on a 2000-2003 gsxr 750. I gave them a few year models to check just to make sure. Stay away from Progressive!!!!!!!
You want the number of my agent I can give it to you, just ask.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Sorry for rubbing it in ... but the insurance for my Sporty runs to £171.25 per annum and that's Fully Comp'
(actually the insurance is £132.29 + £6.96 Tax + £32.00 Broker fee)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Hey folks,

I've been itching to get back in the saddle for some time so I called my insurance company today to get a quote for a CBR600f4i. The fuckers wanted $3900 A YEAR!!!!

I have a clean driving record, married, over 25 blah blah blah all the usual stuff that brings down insurance but WTF?? Anyone out there have any good insurance companies to recommend that are decently priced?

Oh, btw Progressive gave the above quote.

Thanks.

Blues,
Ian

I pay $400 a year full coverage with progressive, I also have extra medical and liability.

probably because I have had a motorcycle license for 15 years.

I pay $400 a year full coverage with progressive, I also have extra medical and liability.

probably because I have had a motorcycle license for 15 years.

So I have not had a motorcycle license, ever, and state farm quoted me roughly 400 a year. Ummm I wonder if they would quote you way less given your experience. Couldn't hurt to make a phone call.
I stand by my statement. Progessive sucks donkey balls!!!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Try bike-line.com. They were way cheaper for me.

I did a bunch a quotes when I was shopping around for a 1st bike, and I noticed that what influencerd alot the quote was the age of the bike. The insurance for my 2002 was WAY cheaper then the same 2004 bike. Then again, its not a crotch rocket ;)
Remster

Hey Chuck,

No they didn't ask about years of riding, but I believe Remi is right. I think they look at years of driving (anything). Unfortunately since I've lived in the states I haven't had a MC license so if they DO count that I'm screwed regardless. I also plan on doing the MSFT (or whatever it's called) to help bring the rates down. Besides, a refresher won't hurt in the least :)
Either way I'll check. Still - it does look like there's hope.

Thanks everyone.

Blues
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

3 years ago I worked as an adjuster for a major ins company. Being a sportbike rider I asked for and received many sportbike claims. A previous post concerning squids hit the nail directly on the head. Many many times I paid claims on bikes involved in 1 vehicle accidents where the rider simply lost control while cornering or pulling wheelies/stoppies. (we would not renew this type of coverage) OEM plastic on a bike is incredibly expensive to replace. A drop with sliding while rounding a corner could easily equal a couple thousand in plastic and parts alone. We saw these kinds of accidents daily. The typical rider was young and on a 600 series sportbike. (the largest seller) Rarely did we have this type of accident on a rider 30 years of age plus.

Put some money back every month for a couple years. Pay cash and get liability insurance. My son just bought a 2001 GSXR 1000 (he is 20) and is paying a little less than $2400 a year for full coverage. (Colorado) He was quoted $310 a year for liability only.

Yes. Also be aware that in some cases a 750/900/1000 was at TIMES cheaper to insure than a 600. (I say "TIMES" due to underwriting rules changing daily due to claims paid)

Check on it again once you hit the big 30. Try Geico online. Quick and easy. Try 2 or 3 different bikes. There are some GREAT 6-8 year old bikes out there with low miles and still in good shape.

Wear a helmet, ride safe and enjoy life.