MC208B

favorite jump plane

hello all. I'm just curious here, what is your favorite plane for the ride up? I'm a bit biased I guess since I maintain Cessna 208's (Caravans) for a living. I do like a fast ride up when I'm jumping but prefer the 182 when I'm flying (logging time). Mike

Depends on what kind of mood I'm in and what kind of jumps I'm doing. If I'm jumping with a small group of friends I kinda like a C182 or a C206. Maybe it's cuz those are the aircraft I "grew up" in... I enjoy the tight fit and the relatively long climb and launching a piece from the step.
If I want to jump a lot or do bigger-than-6-ways my favorite plane has to be a twin Otter, especially if it's a Super Otter. But it's really hard to kiss the pilot on the way out the door....
pull and flare,
lisa

seeing how ive only jumped two planes but ridden in 3 id have to say that the Frankenotter is my favorite. Its a super otter. Just knowing that its a bunch a different planes all molded into one.. just too cool. lol. And Franki's coming home on April 23rd! welcome back frankenotter!
froggie

Well, my favorite so far is an Otter. You can do so much more with that door than with a King Air or a Cessena. I have a feeling that'll change when I try a Casa. Should be next weekend at Louisburg as long as the weather is decent. :)

I like planes with benches-LOL- but I'll get over it.
Casa are definately fun! Of course, and the TWin Otter is definately a blast, those darn polar bear Otters are slow, we had one in Monroe forever and a day before our dzo bought a King Air, slapped new engines in it, and it climbs nicely. And it will be there from now on untill whenever-LOL- No more plane swapping
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

Froggie,
I totally agree with you! Frankenotter rules! Absolutely the most awesome jump plane out there. I have never been to Cross Keys, but I am planning on spending a lot of time there this summer to see my good pal Frank! Blue ones!
Elisa

dove,
youre coming to Xkeys?!?! thats awesome! then well have a flying frog AND a soaring dove! lol. i know, im corny. but who cares? lol. Make sure you let me and stacy know when you head out our way. This summer you can catch me in the manifest office and the video office. stacy will be working manifest and HOPEFULLY square 3, and she might even steal a few of my video office hours too. In any case, well be out there all the time. Find us! either that or manifest as Dove and well know who you are :) hehe.
see ya this summer!
froggie

I'd have to say that Mike Mullin's Super King air is my favorite jump plane. You can't go wrong in a plane that can lift 14 jumpers to 14000 AGL in 7 minutes... I highly recommend it. If you're going for nostalgia, the DC-3 is the plane to be in. Not to mention enough room that the 40 somewhat jumpers can all lay down and not touch each other at all... Not exactly the easiest plane to exit if you're doing a big way though.
-T1
C-30757

I have jumped from a twin otter and a sky van. The greatest exit (with respect to feeling) was from the skyvan. It was like jumping from a diving board. Jump up, pause, and then down you go until the relative wind hits you. Also it is an unnerving/exhililarating feeling to sense the other skydivers exit from the skyvan!
Safe Landings,
Venwood

i've jumped from cessna 182's and 206's, a porter and a caravan, and a casa. hopefully this summer i'll add an ultralight and twin super otter to that list. so far my fav. would have to be the casa! but i think it's just because it's a novilty. the caravan was also very nice......hell my favorite jump plane is which ever one i'm going to jump out of, who could say they hate a plane that will take them to feed thier altitude addiction?
<>

Skyvan, Skyvan, Skyvan!!!
Ok, so it's smelly and noisy, BUT when that back door opens it's just *WOW*, just run and head for home!!!
TurboLet 410 is great too! Grand Caravan with CD system is just too cool! Vibes on the way to altitude just get you in the groove...
B