SarahC07

Tanning... fake or real?

So who likes tan lines?

What about the fake-n-bake tan look?

The orange look?

Or how about the 'my body hasn't seen the light of day in a few years' look?

Discuss please... I'm curious.

Personally, I don't like fake tans. It just looks... fake. :| yeah.

Where's OrangeJumper when you need him.

Tan in the sun.

If youre a girl:

tan in the sun nekkid.

If you're a person:

Wear sunscreen. Lots. You will not become a wrinkled leather bag and look older than you really are.

Oh, and you might avoid skin cancer too.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Tanning in the tanning bed can look fine if you don't over-do it. Its a good way to get a base tan. Some of us work inside all day all summer and dont have time to lay out at the dz on weekends.

Right now my ass hasnt seen sunlight since my trip to Hawaii 2 years ago. I made about five trips to the tanning bed a couple of months ago but it made me so itchy I couldnt sleep. I havent been back.

Well, we do have a need for Vitamin D. Comes from exposure to the SUN! Like most things in life, moderation is the key I think. I'd think that it's better to get a base tan in the beds without burning than to get out on a sunny day and burn the bejeez out of your skin.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

So who likes tan lines?

What about the fake-n-bake tan look?

The orange look?

Or how about the 'my body hasn't seen the light of day in a few years' look?

Discuss please... I'm curious.

Personally, I don't like fake tans. It just looks... fake. :| yeah.

The ghoulish look kind of works for me. I pretty much equate tanning with skin damage.

Walt

Especially when they wear all black with black lipstick or bright red lipstick just for that spot of color. :)
Kinda like the Goth look some. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

aside from smoking, tanning is one of the worst things you can do to your own body on purpose. just for looks... how stupid.

I couldn't tan if I wanted to (melanin-challenged), and I didn't want all of my friends to get wrinkled and leathery before me, so I decided to go ahead and start smoking.

Being pale sucks. Tan people can get way fatter than pale people before it starts counting against them.

Jen
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Winston Churchill

You not only have to worry about the deadly type of skin cancer. The less deadly kind will spread and eventually have to be cut off. I know more about skin cancer than i've wanted to. I have lost count of the number that have been cut, burnt, frozen, and xcraped off. Just looking at my arms with a short sleeve shirt on I can count 8 surgery scars. I will try to takfe a pic of neck where I used a cream that made the caners turn into a sore then healed up. It leaves a white area without pigment. Within the next month I will have 4 more surgeries. Most only take about 4 or 8 stiches. No one can convince most people not to tan because there are plenty of people who don't develope any kind of skin cancer. But here's the kicker. Mine didn't start to show up til my late 40s to early 50s. It's your gamble!!!

I'm a redhead. I don't have to worry about that pesky tan thing. I can't.

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."

I'm a redhead. I don't have to worry about that pesky tan thing. I can't.

just think bodypaint...... and i'm so glad i'm not a redhead... i rarley ever burn.. i turn a nice dark brown when i get sun...

Yeah - I can't even fathom the tanning bed thing. Deliberately trying to get cancer? I could never do it. i get a bit of tan in the summer just by being outside, but I could never ever lay out and bake. The people who do tend to look very fake to me.. It doesn't look particularly good I don't think...

Its funny - when I was in high school a good friend of mine believed in the tanning beds and laying out and she always had a good tan even in the winter. I never did any of that. We were both out somewhere - and we were both 17 - and someone confused her for my mother.. She looked that much older and her skin was so much more baked than my pale white skin. It amused the heck out of me - pissed her off. I can't even how imagine how old she must look now since she looked 30 at 17..

I had a friend that was really into tanning.

Last time I saw her she looked like a saddle bag with eyes.

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."

i get a bit of tan in the summer just by being outside, but I could never ever lay out and bake.

Yep, I'm the same way... I get some color naturally, and I think that looks healthy, but for the most part I try to keep sunscreen on. I'm far too pale to be tanning/burning regularly, and I've seen the effects it has had on my dad ... he's had to have lots of precancerous lesions taken off. I have the same coloring as my dad... I'm not going to mess around with that stuff.

Besides, I can have experiences like I had yesterday at my going-away lunch on my project. Somehow we got to talking about ages, and someone asked how old I was. I said "How old do you think I am?" He said, "You look about 25." I said I was 35, and the rest of the table turned and said "NO WAY!"

Good genes, lots of water, minimal tanning, and no smoking will do that for ya. :)

Yeah I'm the same way. I'm 35 and still get carded for beer more often than not... The last time I was given children's prices (without asking!) I was 23!

I showed up at my new dz in Texas when I was 23, and the dzo wanted to card me cuz I looked 12! A few years later, I had a cutaway, and I was sitting in the pickup truck with him while a couple of guys climbed a tree to rescue my main - and he handed me a beer. A few minutes later a cop pulls up asking what's going on and wanted to see my ID :-)

Look, I'm getting really concerned about this whole topic. The bottom line is that sun exposure causes sever skin damage.

If you want to see what happens with prolonged sun exposure, here it is and it ain't pretty.

You have been warned---NSFW.

Walt