skydiver51

Mount St. Helens Pics

this is a pisture of julie golden, pj tavernit, and myself on the summit in august 2004 shortly before it started erupting again. you can see spirit lake and mt rainier behind us. johnston ridge is approximately behind julie's ass. i grew up in longview and used to be able to see the summit from my parents' house. i remember watching the eruption when i was 6 years old. the south side of the mountain is my favorite place in the world. i can't wait until she goes back to sleep so i can climb her again.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

a group of us were Elk Hunting on the turn around at the top of Hwy 504 right to the NW of Windy Pass above the Plains Of Abraham in Nov of 1979....the Road went down and around Spirit Lake.. not long after that is when it awoke and started rumbling. Everywhere where I was hunting over by Dogs Head is all gone.

I grew up in Spokane and was home on May 18th, 1980. The sky turned completely black and we got 14" of ash. Still have a jar of it laying around somewhere. Quite an experience....

I was just 7 years old, and my mom has a pic of my aunt holding me under a tree on her farm with molten mud marks 30' up. I had no idea what was going on as a little kid...we were walking across her farm on a solidified sea of grey and walked onto a roof. I asked, "What's this, daddy?" and he said "It's the roof of the barn."

Then they proceded to tell me what was in the barn when the volcano went up. :| And unfortunately, what was still in the barn buried under feet of molten ash. :(

Poor cows and horses. [:/]

On a more positive note, I was in the 182 at about 10k when we saw the steam coming up from the mountain again last year. B|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I was home on vacation in Yakima when she erupted. I still have pictures in an album showing the sun fading and our day turning into darkness. Still remember the ash falling and the days upon days of cleaning it up around my parents property. Just might have to get those pics scanned.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

I climed it back in the latter part of Sept. 2000. If they ever open it up again to climers I would love to take my parachute and ground launch it from the rim back down to hikers bivwak(sp). It's a 5 mile hike and 5K feet from hikers bivwak(sp) to the rim.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

if that happens, i want to be there. i think it possible, but very ballsy. the only alternative landing area is where the monitor ridge trail hits the timberline, but if you made it that far, you should easily be able to make climber's bivouac.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com