adventurechick

When do you become a skydiver....

I was told last night at dinner by a particular skydiver that I'm not a skydiver because I only have 27 jumps.... he said I'm more like a "skyd..." and not a real one yet.... it kinda pissed me off since I've sold my car, textbooks... and even live in a tent when I'm at the dropzone....

So my question is... when do you consider someone to be a skydiver?? Does this guy have a big ego or is one not really a skydiver until he/she has hundreds of jumps??

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

When you go to a DZ, do you get on a load and proceed to jump out of the airplane? If yes, then what more does this person want? You may not be a very experienced skydiver (that may take hundreds of more jumps and several years in the sport), but you are a skydiver nonetheless. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

sounds like you were talkig to SkyG.

thats a skygod in the making.
youre a skydiver.
if that skyG was just messing with you than I take it back but if it was aserious comment than unfortunately you will never be as good as s/he in his/her mind.

find a new friend/mentor
My photos

My Videos

I remember, I posted this question once.

Opinions vary, really. Some say you are not workable until you have 100 jumps behind you.

Others will try to pull you into their discipline of choice and tell you that is how "real skydivers do it."

Honestly you have to decide for yourself. You like to jump? You live for jumping? You obsess about the weather and if it is good enough to jump?

Get your A license, jump with others. ENJOY skydiving. Keep on doing it. You are a skydiver.

It invades our thoughts, it runs in our blood, it emptys our bank accounts. We live to jump. You are among us...............

When jumping is something you do, not just something you've done, you're a skydiver.

That's the opinion of a semi-retired skydiver, so take it for what it's worth.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

who the hell said that?????? PM me the idiots name>:(>:(>:(:D:D:D

you are a skydiver after one solo jump.....the number of people who have ever jumped out of a plane is sssssssoooooo small!!!!!!!!! we have already discussed the whole being recognized in the sport crap.......do what makes YOU feel happy and to hell with everyone else!!!!!!!!!

Some skydivers are too serious about performing or turning points......if that is what they are into....AWESOME.....but they can't determine that for everyone....I know that I want to do well on a skydive....but if I don't......oh well.....I always try...but shit happens

some are just into fun jumping with friends......it is what YOU determine YOU want to do.....the decision is YOURS.....but you have already shown that you have the balls to jump......

even if you would decide never to jump again.....you have done more jumps than 99% of the worlds population......don't forget that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

the reason I try to steer clear of owning his attitude is that I don't want my spine to have a permenant curve in it from constantly sucking my own dick.
(literal visualization for a figurative description)

what he should have said is something along the lines of

you may not have all the experience to handle some things you may find yourself in so let me discuss with you some of the things that I see commonly at our dz.

and even than He should have discussed ideas with you and different types of scenarios that can happen and ASK YOU what would you do in that situation. listen to what you say and suggest possible guidance on your decision. he also could have told you that the incident forum oln this site is a HUGE learnign tool. some of it is scary but there is usually something you can learn BEFORE you find yourself in a similar sitattion.

instead he tried to make himself seem more important than you. no good came of that. the communication stopped at thatpoint. in some important ways.

Find someone without an ego but ask EVERYONE for help and to share a jump with you. you'll find not EVERYONE thinks you are just a SKYD
My photos

My Videos

DAMN!!! That was HARDCORE!!!!!!

well I say it how I see it.......and will not sugar coat or lie........it is just my opinion!!!!!!:):D

I would say it's more about YOUR perception, not someone else's. I personally felt that I was a skydiver after I was cleared for solo -- after AFF and coach jumps. That was jump #13 for me. Most people on DZ would be "cautious", I'd say, about you until they jump with you and see what you can do. But that doesn't mean that even until then they don't think of you as a skydiver. Some people, however, will always have this kind of attitude that you described. Well, screw them...;)
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

So my question is... when do you consider someone to be a skydiver?? Does this guy have a big ego or is one not really a skydiver until he/she has hundreds of jumps??

You're a skydiver when you act like one. And selling all your worldly possessions for jump tickets sounds like a skydiver to me :)

You're a skydiver when you act like one. And selling all your worldly possessions for jump tickets sounds like a skydiver to me .

too funny.....but oh so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:S:S:S:)

I was told last night at dinner by a particular skydiver that I'm not a skydiver because I only have 27 jumps.... he said I'm more like a "skyd..." and not a real one yet....

Wow... he must have like... 54 jumps.

you are a skydiver after one solo jump.....

Gee, I thought I was a skydiver after my first tandem. And I showed the pictures to anyone who would stop long enough to look. Most of those wuffos thought I was a skydiver too. ;)

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

The day that you walk outside on a sunny day and think... "I'd much rather be skydiving" then doing what ever it is you're doing... is the day you're a skydiver...

that or after you're first jump... :D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You are a skydiver after 1 jump. The "particular skydiver" is a pompous ass.

-

Register another Hear! Hear!
The skygod attitude is so mych fun...gives one plenty of opportunity to tweak his nose....

I really hope you had a good laugh on that comment.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

you are a skydiver after one solo jump.....

Without getting into a debate about what makes you a skydiver... i kinda disagree with this.

What I can't stand is people who've done a static line course for example and a few solos years ago and stand around in the bar telling everyone they're jumpers.

If you've done one solo jump you've done one solo jump. In my opinion, to be a skydiver you need to be jumping regularly. But like i said, semantics :P

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky