briguy

Will you see The DaVinci code?

I just saw on the news that it got a really shitty review at Cannes.

Chris

Which could mean that it is a very entertaining film. Although I typically love the Cannes award winners, and smaller films in general, they usually despise the formulaic blockbusters.

I'll wait and see what the US critics have to say.

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Made it 3/4 of the way through the book and put it down. not really my taste so the movie will be just with friends or something if that - or maybe just when it comes on cable.

Angels and Demons was a lot more entertaining, i thought. Plus it is scientific rather than religious which is more my taste.

Well thank god we have the church to tell us what we should and should not watch!

:D

I thought the book was really good and I liked Angels and Demons even more. I'll see the movie because I want to see if they did a good job of following the book.

It really amazes me how a work of fiction can stir up so much shit, from hour long shows debunking it on tv to full books and websites devoted to debunking it!
It's a work of fiction people! Dan Brown just did a excellent job on researching the history of the church, artists, science, blah blah blah, etc. and he wove a lot of facts into the story. He's really quite brilliant.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Will be there opening day!!! It's a fabulous story that I didn't read until a few months ago! and I'm very happy to pay for movie tix for anything Ron Howard or Tom Hanks are deeply involved in... this one makes it a double whammy!

Already planned my entire day Friday around it! 2 hour spa massage, lunch & a movie! Can't wait!:ph34r:

Yeah, I'll see it. Two reasons, one the book was ok and two I enjoy Tom Hanks. Now if only they'd make an Angels and Demons movie. Or how about some movies based on those Harry Potter books...oh.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was very disappointed in the book; there is no way I'll bother sitting through a movie of a book I didn't enjoy. Angels and Demons was better, but only by a bit.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Angels & Demons was GREAT!!!!!!... picked up a copy at the airport on my way somewhere...
I especially liked it since it starts out with the worlds LARGEST Vertical Wind Tunnel & people flying!!!!
thanks Dan Brown for the Industry plug! :D

trying to read Deception Point now.... nasa satellite, arctic, scientific coverup, blah blah... having a hard time keeping interested in this one.....:S

I was very disappointed in the book; there is no way I'll bother sitting through a movie of a book I didn't enjoy. Angels and Demons was better, but only by a bit.

Ciels-
Michele

I'm curious, were you dissapointed by the story, how the book was written or something else?

I drive a lot so I listened to both books on tape, unabridged editions of course, and I found myself sitting in my car when I got to work totally submerged in them. I'd even be late for work because of it. Maybe it's easier to listen to than read.

--------------

I'm curious, were you dissapointed by the story, how the book was written or something else?

For me, it was both writing style as well as implausibilty. I love the concept of the Feminine Divine, and the idea that Mary Magdalene had a girl named Sarah whose father was Christ. But this book was, frankly, rather rushed, and far more fiction than fact while being billed as "factual."

Maybe it's because I've already read a lot about the Feminine Divine; Opus Dei, the Priory of Sion, et cetera. Maybe because I already knew of Da Vinci believing as he did, and read more factual studies and histories, and knew the idea of the Chalice being a woman rather than an object.

To me, I guess, the plot was implausible and contrived, and people did things which just don't seem real. If I was reading Sci-Fi, unreality is the name of the game; same with stories about, say, Angels. But this was a disappointment both in the plot as well as the writing...

I know it's a wildly popular book...but it wasn't for me. And I know that puts me in the minority, but hey, that's all right too.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hey, if everybody liked everything the same then this world would be a total bore. ;)

I must admit, I am completely un-educated when it comes to all of this stuff so it sucked me right in. I think that was part of the draw. It's more of a catalyst to something. I think the book just got my brain stirring and for me that's a good thing.

--------------

I think the book just got my brain stirring and for me that's a good thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for us, a shocking thing.

Chris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What were we talking about again?

Umm...the Mona Lisa?:|

Chris