karenmeal

Insurance and Skydiving

Well.. I have to go on a new insurance plan at the end of the year... and it looks like skydiving accidents might be excluded.

Under the exclusion section the policy states:

This plan does not cover nor provide benefits for:

3. Bungee jumping or flight in any kind of aircraft, except while riding as a passenger on a regularly scheduled flight of a commerical airline.

Since this does not specifically exclude skydiving, I wanted to e-mail the insurance folks and ask whether or not any skydiving injuries would be covered. However.. my boyfriend thinks that the insurance company will save this information and even if I get injured and show up to the hospital with a good story, the insurance company won't cover me because they'll know that I'm a skydiver.

Do you think there is any harm in e-mailing and clarifying?

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Well.. I have to go on a new insurance plan at the end of the year... and it looks like skydiving accidents might be excluded.

Under the exclusion section the policy states:

This plan does not cover nor provide benefits for:

3. Bungee jumping or flight in any kind of aircraft, except while riding as a passenger on a regularly scheduled flight of a commerical airline.

Since this does not specifically exclude skydiving, I wanted to e-mail the insurance folks and ask whether or not any skydiving injuries would be covered. However.. my boyfriend thinks that the insurance company will save this information and even if I get injured and show up to the hospital with a good story, the insurance company won't cover me because they'll know that I'm a skydiver.

Do you think there is any harm in e-mailing and clarifying?

-Karen

I would do it from a pay phone and use a alias!!
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

Well what about if you get seriously hurt, knocked unconscious and life-flighted out of the DZ? There is no hiding that it was skydiving, and an accident like that could cause you to rack up a lot of debt. I really want to have an insurance company that will cover skydiving accidents.

But it's student insurance.. I might not have much of a choice.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

You may get coverage for skydiving accidents-at an increased premium--but you can probably forget life insurance. But surely there are folks here who've been injured and can tell us their experience with insurance coverage....

"except while riding as a passenger on a regularly scheduled flight of a commerical airline. "

hmmm, are lifts up considered commercial? .. just tell them, that you are a passenger of the airline that takes you to your destination to which, you exit the plane. haha.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Depends...are you talking about medical insurance or life insurance? Looks like from your post you're talking about life...

I have policies that do NOT have a skydiving exclusion, however they are government, and a major corporation's group-type coverage (when I worked at the bank). I also have 2 other policies that DO exclude piloting/skydiving. [:/]

Get clarification from an alias e-mail or anonymous call. Sen me a PM, I'll do it for ya if you like! I was an insurance agent, so I'll know the questions to ask. ;)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Medical insurance.

Well, it is too late.

I already e-mailed them and they said that injuries in the aircraft would be excluded, but injuries that didn't have to do with the plane would be covered. Well, so they didn't actually say "covered".. But I think that is what they meant.:S

I already e-mailed them and they said that injuries in the aircraft would be excluded, but injuries that didn't have to do with the plane would be covered. Well, so they didn't actually say "covered".. But I think that is what they meant.:S

doesn't seem good - even if they will state that any landing accidents would be covered, airplanes do crash.