adrenalinejunki

Barking dog?

Our dog has been with us for a few months now and will not stop barking. He is smart as he can be but can't seem to learn how to go crap outside. We have had no trouble teaching him any tricks that we wanted him to learn but that. I have had dogs before and house broke them easily. He is an outside dog now that the weather is better and he will not shut up. We have bought one of those shocking bark collars and that seemed to work for a couple days but now he is used to it and it does'nt bother him despite the new battery. The only thing that seems to work is beating his ass when he takes these spells of barking for no reason. Anyone got any ideas other than taking his ass back to the pound or shooting him? Our neighbors have been complaining and will shoot him for us if we don't get this problem taken care of soon.[:/]

Attach the bark collar to his nuts?

Muzzle?

Professional training / Obediance course?

If all else fails, at least be courteous enough to pay for the ammo you neighbors use.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Attach the bark collar to his nuts?

Muzzle?

Professional training / Obediance course?

If all else fails, at least be courteous enough to pay for the ammo you neighbors use.
:D:D

Now that's funny:D

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Ok, assuming this thread isn't totally flippant:

I'm not a dog owner or expert - my pets of choice (cats) are of course indifferent to any kind of training. But aren't those punishment-based techniques only likely to increase whatever neuroses your dog has already? They would mine!

There's lots of info on the web about 'problem' dog behaviour and ways to stop it. Failing that, yep - I'd say invest in some professional training. Got to be worth it for the sake of keeping the peace.

The only thing that seems to work is beating his ass

Dude,

I can't see any point in beating an animal. Did your parents beat you when you, as a child, cried? The dog is just looking for love and attention when he barks. Ever consider that maybe he loves you and misses being inside with you? If all else fails send him to an obedience school but remember this...what comes 'round goes round in this life.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

The only thing that seems to work is beating his ass when he takes these spells of barking for no reason. Anyone got any ideas other than taking his ass back to the pound or shooting him?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you don't deserve to own animals:|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You guys are taking it the wrong way about beating his ass. I'm not punching him or kicking his ribs in or anything like that. But it's hard enough to know I mean buisiness. Hard enough and at the exact time so he knows what it is for. I believe that he is learning to. I love my dog and would never hurt him, but the barking has got to stop before somebody catches us gone and shoots him. Just so that the few treehuggers know, my dog goes fishing with me on the boat and almost everywheres I go except work and the dz. Yes I did get my ass beat when I was young and I like to believe that I turned out to be a responsible person because of it.

Dogs are very social animals and they don't like/want "alone time" as far as they're conserned you're a member of their pack... and they want to be with you. That means if you're inside the dog wants to be inside... The best way to create a "happy" dog it to exercise them regularly... perish the though you walk the dog... :o

Also if you haven't tried kennel training it's one of the best ways to house break a dog...

Get a nice book on dog training and read it...

btw: my very high energy dog is currently sleeping soundly at 9:30 AM... :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Katie and I have some real piece-of-shit neighbors who have horrible dogs. It's their hobby to get a new puppy, keep it in the house till it's no longer a puppy, then relegate them to the back yard permanently until they die. No attention from humans whatsoever. When then feed them they just dump dry dog food over the fence into the back yard. They used to have a kiddy pool in the back yard that the dogs drank from. I can't count the number of times that they have barked all fucking night and I have walked outside to find that they did not have any source of water and had, clearly, not eaten lately. All the while their P.O.S. owners are partying it up in the house. Fucking morons.

Before anyone asks, yes, we call the cops and animal control routinely.

Anyway, what do you expect a dog to do if you start out raising it as an inside dog and then lock him away outside? If you can't train the dog, or it's simply untrainable, then get rid of it. Your neighbors will appreciate it, I promise you. Listen, I have had an untrainable dog, so I know your pain. I got rid of the dog since he simply refused to stop shitting inside, no matter how many times I let him out.

Our dog Billy Bob is fantastic. He stays inside with us, but spends a ton of time outside at the DZ. If we are outside, he is outside. He has his idiosynchrosies though: If we leave him inside and both have to go to work, he's going to shit in the den. We figure it's to punish us for leaving him alone. I have no tollerance for that AT ALL, so if there is simply no other choice we will put him in our large, fenced back yard until we get off work. He will bark his ass off when we do that and he used to dig out of the yard until I concreted around the bottom of the fence gate.

There is nothing worse in my opinion than taking a pet dog and locking him away for good in your yard. Worse yet is tieing one up on a fucking chain in your yard! Can you imagine how you would act if that happened to you? I know of no person who has a "yard dog" that shows it any affection at all. If you have become this person, get rid of your animal. Animals require attention, just like people. If your animal is not a member or your family, then you do not need it. I recommend dealing with your barking dog in an appropriate manner less your angry neighbors take the matter in their own hands.

Our idiot neighbors just chained a young Husky to a tree in their backyard. This one on top of the two (formerly three) others which roam freely in their fenced yard that go into barking frenzies almost every single night. I am seething right now if you can't tell.

Chuck

Even if you think you aren't beating your dog that "hard", or if you think it's working... i think it's flat out wrong. If you can't train your animal yourself, the right way, then take it to an obediance school. I am the first one to admit that I have no ability to train a dog, but I absolutely love them. I am too much of a pushover. That's not a good thing either.

Also if you haven't tried kennel training it's one of the best ways to house break a dog...

Also called crate training. I was a total non-believer in it (sounded pretty nasty). But now the dogs will willingly go there; in fact, the smaller one prefers to spend time in there pretty much whenever he's not actively seeking food or affection.

They don't crap in the crate, and they're motivated to go outside and do their business when you let them out.

You might have to force him in the first couple of times (I did for my big one), but it's very likely he'll end up fine with something like that.

Does he let you know that he needs to go to the bathroom when you're home with him? Half the time I just leave the back door open if it's not to hot or too cold outside.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You might have to force him in the first couple of times

an easy way to get dogs into a cage is to get a couple treats, make sure the dog knows you have them. close up the cage withthe dog outside of it, drop a treat in the cage. the dogs knows there is something good in the cage and will want to go in.

open the door and leave it open, so the dog can get the treat and leave the cage if it wants to. the dog will learn to associate the cage with a reward. start closing the door with the dog into the cage for a limited period of time, the lengthen it.

of course it will take some time, but you can't expect a dog to learn human rules overnight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

an easy way to get dogs into a cage is to get a couple treats, make sure the dog knows you have them.

Yep... Karma is to the point that when she knows I'm on my out of the house she will almost always go straight to her Crate... I don't even have to give her a command... just at the thought of getting a couple of treats.

I don't even lock her up most of the time anymore... :D but I still give her treats before I leave... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I believe I will try the crate. I honestly don't know why I am having such trouble getting him house trained. He would go to the door and bark, so I would let him outside and then after a few minutes he would come back to the door and scratch on it. We would let him back in and he would go straight to the bedroom and shit in the floor.:S

He is around 4 months old now and should be easy to teach but refuses to learn not to shit in the house. He can do all sorts of other stuff and learned them all in just a few minutes, so he is smart.

And no we hav'nt just tied him up outside and forgot about him. He is let loose all thru the day and gets to go on trips with us almost everyday. The kids keep him busy to now that they are on summer break. He is well loved by us and hated by the neighbors because of the barking. Our yard is not fenced in and we cannot let him just run loose because 1 of our neighbors has chickens that just run loose all the time and he would shoot Hunter at the first chance he got. I am living in a rented house so there is no way that I am going to pay to have the huge yard fenced in.

YES I do live out in the sticks of Kentucky before anyone asks.

The nearest training school is atleast 2 hours away. I work 2 weeks striaght 12 to 14 hours a day and spend an hour a day driving to and from work. I get 4 days a month off work. We only have 1 car also. So a trianing school is out of the question.

He is around 4 months old now and should be easy to teach but refuses to learn not to shit in the house. He can do all sorts of other stuff and learned them all in just a few minutes, so he is smart.

try this: instead of just letting him out, take him out on a leash and keep him out there until he does his business. praise him AS he is pooping. when he does it outside, occasionally offer a treat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The nearest training school is atleast 2 hours away. I work 2 weeks striaght 12 to 14 hours a day and spend an hour a day driving to and from work. I get 4 days a month off work. We only have 1 car also. So a trianing school is out of the question.

So, if you are THAT busy, why exactly do you have a dog??? :S Dogs take time. Not having the time is no excuse to beat your dog. :| I'm so sick of people getting a dog who don't have the time to responsibly care for them. Not saying that is your case, but if it is, it's completely selfish.

I would go get a crate and put him in it overnight. During the day when you're inside keep the dog on a short leash. That way if he starts to go, you will notice immediately. You should make a strong verbal command and run the dog outside immediately to try and let him finish. It is good if you have treats handy, so that if he finishes going outside he gets an immediate reward. If you can't catch the dog in the act of going in the house, it will be really hard to train him.

A few years back my brother was complaining about not being able to house train his new puppy. When I visited his place at Christmas for about 5 days I kept a really good eye on his dog and ran her outside anytime she looked like she was about to go. By the time I left she was pretty much trained! It's not difficult, you just have to be persistent and keep a constant eye on them.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

My wife and the kids are the ones who wanted the dog. I have just gotten attatched to him to. I don't want to send him back to the pound. He is well taken care of so don't get them to wadded up.

Like I said before, I DO NOT HIT HIM HARD ENOUGH TO HURT HIM IN ANY WAY! It is a spanking! You are all acting like I broke 3 of his ribs or some shit.>:( That would be cruel if that were the case. But it is NOT! There is almost always some one home or he is with us out in town.

I'm assuming your dog is a puppy still??
We have a neighbor who when they first moved in allowed their 20something son to bring over 3 pups and dumped them in the yard, much like one of the previous posters talked about. Two were labs, the other some sort of smaller type - when they weren't barking all night long, they were fighting ,sometimes viciously. It was awful!! One saturday, after a looong day a work, I came home to take a nap before running errands and it all started, during the day. I couldn't take it anymore, so I went over there to talk to the kid. He had all sorts of excuses...he tried obedience school, he spanked them, he tried to shock me by saying "I guess I could use a shock collar and zap them everytime they bark...they're just puppies lady, they're gunna bark", which was all B.S. He never walked those dogs, let alone played w/them. I think they were all high strung because of lack of exercise and attention.

Young dogs need exercise to wear themselves out so that they are tired when it's time to sleep. They also need companionship - like people have already said, they are naturally "pack " animals and don't normally like to be alone a lot. So hopefully, you are addressing those to issues: exercise, and not letting him be isolated. I would make sure you really play hard w/him especially in the evening - let him run like crazy chasing a ball or whatever. Then, perhaps, if you have a garage attached to the house he could sleep in there at night w/some of your family's blankets around him, or do the crate thing in the house - you let him out every hour or 2 hours to do his thing outside.

I've never done the crate training, but my brothers have and it's worked - they had a Huskey and a Golden Retriever. I would try every suggestion that has been made before you get rid of him - you said he is smart, something will work. You just have to have a realistic expectation of a dog and patiently work through all the suggestions to find the right thing for him. Go to the pet stores and pick up a book about the crate training thing.

You're doing the right thing by asking for help, and I say right on to that - none of us know everything.

Good luck - I'm sure it will all work out:)
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Ok, assuming this thread isn't totally flippant:

I'm not a dog owner or expert - my pets of choice (cats)

www.zip-it.com then.:|

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun