Icon134

weekend numbers

:| yeah just :|:8:0

So I realize the weekend isn't over yet... but since I have a ton of homework that I should be doing at the moment... B| my jumping weekend is done...

I did manage to get several jumps in on saturday though... most were RW jumps anything from 4-10 ways... and I also stepped outside the formation jumps a few times and did practiced my RW video flying... on several jumps... :)
I finished off the day by joining the freeflyers in a sunset tracking dive...

I had some free food provided by the DZ and did some torch juggling around the bonfire for a fair number of tandem students hanging out at the dz after hours... B|:)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

0:2: 1

Went to my first boogie at Skydive Temple. Hung out with Cannie (Mockingbird) and Walt, watched him do some CRW...and I got a couple jumps in after the winds calmed a bit. Great day.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

0:2: 1

Went to my first boogie at Skydive Temple. Hung out with Cannie (Mockingbird) and Walt, watched him do some CRW...and I got a couple jumps in after the winds calmed a bit. Great day.

did walt put his big foot through anyone's canopy today? :D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

***did walt put his big foot through anyone's canopy today?

:D:D:D

No, but he did have an interesting day today. Ask him what happened...or he just might post about it.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

***did walt put his big foot through anyone's canopy today?

:D:D:D

No, but he did have an interesting day today. Ask him what happened...or he just might post about it.

Ok...

WALT!!!! HEEEEEEEYYYYY POOP POSTER!!!

WHERE ARE YOU WALT? What happened walt? Do tell!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

(yeah, right!):5:2

5 CRW jumps.

2 firsts:

- First 4-way diamond canopy formation
- First CRW cutaway and reserve ride.

While trying to abort an approach on a 2-stack (we were doing 3-way rotations) for some dumbass reason I grabbed my right rear riser instead of right front riser and I floated up and wrapped Wendy Faulkner. So there I was with something that hardly resembed a canopy over my head with Wendy wrapped up inside. I was hoping it would clear itself but no such luck. Wendy yelled "Cutaway!" so I chopped, took a bit of a delay, and dumped my reserve.

Under canopy, I tried to keep an eye on my freebag. I was also looking everywhere for Wendy and my main but never saw them. Eventually I lost sight of my freebag and, after seeing something white-colored in a nearby field, landed off the DZ to check it out. It wasn't my freebag, so I kept looking around for Wendy but never saw her.

Since the last time I had seen her she was wrapped up in my main yelling at me to cutaway, my heart just sank. When Mark, the DZO of Skydive Temple, drove up I asked if Wendy was ok. He just started laughing and told me she was fine. After I cutaway, she held onto my main and carried it with her under canopy back to the DZ.

Fucking showoff!

So Wendy had my main. The other jumper on the load Helmut (sp?) followed my freebag down and saw it land in a tree. He landed on the DZ and Bill got it out of the tree and, not knowing Wendy had my main, waded around in high weeds looking for my main but finally had to give up.

The people at Skydive Temple are awesome. Thanks to everyone for looking after me and my gear!:)
When I went to talk with Wendy about the wrap, she was laughing like a little kid who just received the best birthday gift ever! She considered that wrap and my cutaway to be the most fun she's had in a while (since her last wrap!) and was absolutely giddy over it. She's twisted like that, but it's a really fun kind of twisted!:)
She was still glowing when I left the DZ for the drive home.

I'm sure some small part of her glow came from the knowledge that I owed two cases of beer from CRW jumps she organized this weekend. A couple of weeks ago I brought 3 cases of beer to the DZ from firsts on CRW jumps she had organized.

It's starting to look like if I keep jumping with Wendy, instead of driving a car to the DZ, I'd better start driving a beer truck!!!!

Thanks for all the fun, Wendy!

Walt

mm.. newbie that i am..

2 jumps! AFF stage 2 and 3! woo hoo! interesting jumps.. fluffed the exit on the first and missed 4000 pull (pulled at 3500, a no no for students), then had line twists.. next jump was better, but landing was terrible.. on my ass on my face, back onto my ass and then dragged across the ground. a second canopy ride! (but horizontal!)

after 1st F-up... i sort of froze at 2nd jump - didn't perform all dockings and did a wobbly tracking - my brain was full of 'alti alti alti' throughout the freefall

Felt even more pathetic when people came to congratulate me for remembering to pull above 3000.... :S how embarrassing.

I deserve a good flogging for that stupid stunt! [:/]

Walt - what a great story, should be classfied in fiction category :ph34r:

keep jumping ... Chrissie
where women roar and men thunder

DAMN walt!!! that's quite a story! Glad you and Wendy are no worse for wear. I can't wait to meet Wendy. She sounds fanstastic. And congrats on a safe cutaway and all that. Glad you are alright. I guess you made ANOTHER trip to Bill's... :D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

DAMN walt!!! that's quite a story! Glad you and Wendy are no worse for wear. I can't wait to meet Wendy. She sounds fanstastic. And congrats on a safe cutaway and all that. Glad you are alright. I guess you made ANOTHER trip to Bill's... :D

Wendy really is fantastic. She's the best canopy pilot I've ever seen in action up close and personal.

It was really late late last night when I posted details of what happened. A little while ago I sent some more details to a friend. I'll repeat them here.

Sorry about cluttering the thread, but here it is.

Instead of standard bridles and pilot chutes, on many CRW canopies we use a bridle made of suspension line and route it through some rings on the top skin of the canopy. When the canopy inflates and expands, it pulls the pilot chute to the center of the topskin of the canopy. That greatly reduces the possibility of a pilot chutes and bridles getting tangled with another canopy during CRW because the pilot chute and bridle are kept out of the way.

That bridle made of suspension line can tangle another jumper if they go through the top of a canopy and since the bridle is really thin, it can be tough to get out of. That's what snagged Wendy.

I was docking on a two-stack, which is quite different from docking on a single canopy because it sinks *much* faster than a single canopy. You have to be fast on the trigger if you are going to abort an approach at the last moment because it is descending so much faster than a single parachute that it can sink right into your canopy if you get even a little underneath it.

On my approach, I saw I was a little low and immediately steered away to avoid it, but instead of pulling down on a front riser and diving away, I pulled a back riser and that didn't get me out of the way quickly enough. It floated my canopy right up into Wendy.

When the canopy hit Wendy, she tried to get away, but an end cell snagged her and the rest of the canopy drove right into her. She got tangled with the bridle and, with my weight under it, it was cinched tight around her chest and the rest of my canopy was wrapped like a ball of shit around her.

She told me to cutaway, so I grabbed both handles and chopped. We were up around six grand or so when that happened, so I took a bit of a delay before dumping.

I mentioned earlier that Wendy thought it was a lot of fun. We're talking a *LOT* of fun! She was giggling like a little girl when I got back to the DZ. She thought that wrap was all sorts of fun and was absolutely glowing. It was that kind of glow that people get the day after they have had the best sex ever!

The whole thing was quite educational for me and Wendy had a great time. Helmut, the jumper she was docked on showed himself to be rock-solid in that situation. He kept her safe by holding on to her canopy while all this was going on.

One thing I didn't mention previously is that I was wearing gloves. We use gloves in CRW to protect our hands when we are grabbing suspension lines. I have some gloves I've been jumping with for a while. They are very thin leather gloves--the kind police officers often wear. As thin as they are, they still made it awkward to grab both handles, so I'm definitely going for some different gloves.

Walt

Walt-o-buddy: thanks for the additional tidbits... I can totally picture it in my head... wish I was lurking under my NON-CRW canopy when it all happened. That would have been fun to watch.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

3:+1:-1
3 jumps, new container(and reserve), one good, one bad, one ugly B|
#50 B license jump good on target landing,
#51 bad downwind off landing,
#52 UGLY twisted lines with the slider locked up half way, chop
pretty orange reserve and on target landing PLF :)DAMN that reserve was pretty! lost my handles though [:/]
reserve repacked at 1600, then used at 2030. same day. figures.......:$

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

B|:6:2

Saturday I helped out with the FJC and only got on the last load of the day (beer accuracy) which I won. Sunday did my first tube dive, and got my first kiss pass on my first jump of the day. 2nd jump was my first cross country which was really cool. Can't wait to do another of those. And the 3rd was a really cool low pressure 4 way that blew apart but was still smiles all around.
Today I went out and did my 2 eval jumps to work on my coach rating. Thanks to Larry for taking me up on them and giving me a ton of information on working with students.

All in all a great weekend.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

Humps: :(
Jumps: 3: Brought RWS a STRONG tandem instructor into the fold at Nome, Texas and made my first two jumps from a PAC 750 at Salado, Texas, which means :D :D

_______________________-
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com