dgskydive

I cant believe this needs to be said but.......

I think it IS important to reiterate the risks involved in this sport. IMHO, no one should jump if they are not willing to accept the fact that every jump they make could be their last...
If I didn't have peace about dying, I probably would not jump.

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

My point is that I don't believe I am more likely to die skydiving simply for the fact I am a skydiver.

Non-skydivers don't die skydiving. As a skydiver, you can die skydiving. You are, actually, INFINITELY more likely to die skydiving that a person who is not a skydiver, because non-skydivers cannot die doing it.

You can die any way a whuffo does. But, you can also die skydiving, which a whuffo can't. This sport kills. This sport injures. This sport is dangerous. Enough said. We accept the risk because it is fun.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You are, actually, INFINITELY more likely to die skydiving that a person who is not a skydiver, because non-skydivers cannot die doing it.

I am done with defending ridiculous inferences.

I agree with what you said.

And is is NOT what I said. :S

Please re-read:

My point is that I don't believe I am more likely to die skydiving simply for the fact I am a skydiver.

Of COURSE I am more likely than a non-skydiver. Obviously you take me for an idiot. [:/]

This has really gotten ridiculous.

My original post AGREED and added. What I added was not as clear as I'd hoped. I stand by my point.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Lisa Train

This is the first time in my life I havent jumped down throats about my name.... I wasnt gonna say anything but it was just funny to me that I really dont care.... lisa, lisamarie, its all the same.... just cheaper when they go to file it on the stones. Anyone who has made the mistake that isnt my elder knows I have always been defensive of my name. I wish I had it in me to be upset like I would when someone would call me just Lisa. Its weird how that works. Im learning alot, and I am learning that there are more reasons to respect you old timers then just your flight experience.... I wonder if I will or am that strong. Thanks all who have talked my ear off. I hope you all had verizon :P
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

What I said (and no worries, just getting a little annoyed with a combo of my own brain not up to speed today, the internet and RIDICULOUS INFERENCES):

Was that I do not feel I am more likely to die skydiving b/c I am a skydiver. I do think (like almost anything else) there is a more likely risk of death for myself b/c I do skydive.

I'm exhausting myself trying to explain this in layman's terms (which I thought I did, but instead made it confusing).

I believe I can die in any moment doing anything any day. Some moments are likelier than others. But, I accept impending death and choose to live my life weighing risks, taking proper precautions, and still enjoying all the things I desire to. I do not do a lot of other things that pose great risks to health and life. From that perspective, perhaps though I skydive I have better chances than some skydivers/non-skydivers at a long life. Then again, there are very few things I do with the equivalent risk of death as skydiving, so thus I would be MORE likely to die from that than anything else I do in my life. Of course then, there's the X factor (the unknown) and that life is about chance & circumstance, too at times. Soooooooooo, frankly.....it's just a matter (like anything else) of weighing risks and making personal choices and realizing that just b/c you are AWARE of the risks in skydiving, doesn't mean you won't die at another time when you were NOT so aware of any risk/chance involved in whatever (perhaps seemingly safe activity/treatment of yourself) you were doing/being at that time.

Like anything else it's important to remember, as dg pointed out, the risks involved. I simply wanted to point out that what he said can apply to most, if not everything in life. And that skydiving, while riskier than a lot of things, is just another thing to weigh the risks of.

Furthermore as Krisanne said, there's the difference between the intellectual and emotional acceptance (Right on, Krisanne!). I REALLY don't think anyone who skydives really believes there is no way they can die from it:S. Though I think many have not realized that emotionally and those same people likely not to realize such things emotionally are just more likely IN GENERAL of death.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

There's accepting it intellectually and then there's accepting it emotionally. I don't think you understand the emotional till it happens. Then you figure out if it's acceptable to you.

I want to reiterate this. When I think about what happened yesterday I can understand that we put ourselves at risk everytime we jump out of a plane or off an object. Dealing with the emotions of it is still going to be hard though.

Here on earth I accept that skydiving is dangerous, and there are very few 'fender benders' in serious skydiving accidents.

In the door, I prefer to think 'boy, I'm glad I'm not driving - I could be killed!'

I think this weekend will have me shaken for a little while, or more.

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

you want my honest answer to this? this is not a troll post, this is how i genuinly think about it...

i actually DON'T think it's going to be me !! why would i? i dont drive my car and think i'm going to be killed in an accident, i don't cross the road and think i'm going to be killed in an accident.... why would i do something that i think is going to kill me?

yes, i know it's dangerous, and it could be me next, but i don't think it will actually be me next. it makes no difference if you're aware of the dangers, you'll still do you EP's as required, you'll not change anything you do (providing you are doing the correct things) just because you think it could be you...so why even think it's going to be you???

how many people genuinly think they are going to die on a dive? not many id' say, so being more aware of anything isn't going to change what you do

All being more aware of anything will do is make you more nervous on a dive, not a good idea ! you might as well think it's not going to be you and relax a bit more and be in more control due to less stress

@dgskydive ... do you genuinly think you're going to die when you jump? if you don't think 100% you are going to die (and why would you do something you were 100% certain was going to kill you?) then you have an element of "it's not going to be me" which goes against what your post is about .

You are, actually, INFINITELY more likely to die skydiving that a person who is not a skydiver, because non-skydivers cannot die doing it.

Well..........that's sort of not true. People DO occasionally fall out of planes by accident. *Shrug*

Wouldn't that be falling out of a plane - not jumping out of a plane?

I dunno - just seems like an accidental skydive - is not a skydive -
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

In relation to the first post, i guess we all owe it to them, whether we knew it or not, to be as safe as we can and try and keep ourselves out of trouble, while at the same time realising that it is risky.

Good luck to everyone, and hope you all have a safe a season as can be done.

Be safe!

how many people genuinly think they are going to die on a dive? not many id' say, so being more aware of anything isn't going to change what you do

Awareness is what this is all about.

All being more aware of anything will do is make you more nervous on a dive, not a good idea ! you might as well think it's not going to be you and relax a bit more and be in more control due to less stress\

The trick is to be aware AND relaxed. That's how you stay in control. If being aware, stresses you out, you should be very, VERY worried ;)

I think as a result of an overzealous media who wanted to sensationalize on skydiver deaths, the skydiving community responded with classic overcompensation propaganda (safer than crossing street, driving,...etc) and as a result the present denial seems to have crept into the mindsets of many participants. The first (and thankfully only) time someone I knew personally died jumping I remember being astounded that such a thing could happen ( yes I know...ignorance). When I did my first jump two days after the accident I remember meticulously going over the cutaway procedure with a level of interest that I had not shown since my first jump course.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

We are doing what man was never ment to do and we love it. Just don't be stupid. Think of all the possibilities. Be as safe as possible. Use your AAD's, use your RSL's they do help, but they are not full proof. The only way to insure you won't die jumping is to never jump.

PEOPLE, YOU CAN DIE IN THIS SPORT!!!!!!!!

YOU WILL WATCH A FRIEND DIE ONE DAY!!!!!!!!!!

YOU WILL SEE A BLOODY MESS ON THE LANDING AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU WILL SEE A FRIEND NEVER WALK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CAN'T EXCEPT THIS THEN GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIFE IS ROUGH, SKYDIVING IS EVEN ROUGHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dom

Not only does this need to be said, it needs to be repeated regularly...
No matter how good you are, no matter how well you know your EP's, no matter how safety conscious you are shit still happens and could happen to you!
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...