bch7773

A co-worker smells... what do I do?

I carpool with a coworker to work everyday... he smells really strongly of body odor and whatever he ate last. He wears strong cologne in the morning, (which is offensive by itself) but by afternoon drive home this has worn off.

I normally keep the car windows open as long as possible, but once we are on the highway going 75 mph, thats not possible.

He is a foreigner from a country that is not well known for deoderant use, so I suspect he doesn't even realize he smells. Or he thinks the cologne covers it up.

Is there a way to politely make it clear that he needs to use deoderant?

I work with him all day, so it would be better if I didn't piss him off alot.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I carpool with a coworker to work everyday... he smells really strongly of body odor and whatever he ate last. He wears strong cologne in the morning, (which is offensive by itself) but by afternoon drive home this has worn off.

I normally keep the car windows open as long as possible, but once we are on the highway going 75 mph, thats not possible.

He is a foreigner from a country that is not well known for deoderant use, so I suspect he doesn't even realize he smells. Or he thinks the cologne covers it up.

I work with him all day, so it would be better if I didn't piss him off alot.

Pull into a truck stop and tell him to go take a shower.

Walt

"Fuckin A Haji (Or Frog if they are French)............you smell like a goat! Fucking BATHE once in a while. Water and soap are cheap in America! You aren't fooling anyone with the cologne bath. Now you smell like sweaty ass, old socks, and a cheap hooker." :D

Sorry.........I deal with this shit all the time and it annoys the shit out of me. There is no polite way to tell someone they smell like shit on a regular basis. You just have to break it down for them. ;)

'you fucking smell like gandhi's flip flop you dirty cunt, been sleeping in a bin again?' :D

On a serious note it's something I have dealt with a few times but not with Johnny foreigner. Just tell them that they smell, I don't know your line of work but if its with the public its bad and can result in disciplinary action :|

Eagerly awaiting the responses to this one because I've been dealing with it (small conference room!) for a couple months now. I haven't figured out a good way to do it.[:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There are French people that do that shit?

Back when I was a professional airline passenger I had to spend a couple hours sitting next to this sorta cute French girl on a plane. She smelled like ass. No wait..........OLD DUMPSTER ASS. :D I wonder if she caught on when I kept turning the air on so it was blowing right at her. :D

Eagerly awaiting the responses to this one because I've been dealing with it (small conference room!) for a couple months now. I haven't figured out a good way to do it.[:/]

Get someone else to be the bad guy--someone who doesn't have to maintain a working relationship with the person. If I were there, I'd gladly do it!

Walt

I have a similar problem with a guy at work except he loves to stand near you and let out the wettest sounding (and smelling) farts.

The part that annoys me is it doesnt matter if your eating or siting down, he's there.

"You dirty fucking cunt, just fuck off if your gonna fart near me"

Worked a charm

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Can't you tell a supervisor, they get paid for stuff like this, they don't have to be their friend.

If you are the supervisor then you should say.

The only way to cure situations like this is just do come out and say it. If you leave it ages then say they will probably think 'so all this time everyone else has also been thinking I stink and you never said anything' - That won't be good for working realtionships either :S

Collect some dog shit in a paper bag and put it under your car seat. When he asks "What smells like shit?" just say "Oh, I always assumed that was you."

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

If it was a friend, I would definitely find a way to tell him or her in private. If it's an aquaintance/co-worker, perhaps you could have a talk to someone in human resources about it. Perhaps it would be something that could be talked over in private in the human resources dept. In any case, they can let you know what you can do or not do about this problem. Perhaps they have dealt with this kind of issue before.

Yeah, unfortunately it's not the type of situation with an "HR" role involved... there's the client, my firm (contractor) and his firm (subcontractor). No one's really "in charge." I suppose I could dump it on the project manager, but he works for (yet another) subcontractor.

Yeah, unfortunately it's not the type of situation with an "HR" role involved... there's the client, my firm (contractor) and his firm (subcontractor). No one's really "in charge." I suppose I could dump it on the project manager, but he works for (yet another) subcontractor.

No, don't dump it on someone else in this case. Which one is the smelly one? Is it your client? If so, there is most likely no way in hell you can do anything about this without somewhat hurting your situation.

If there's someone with the same ethnic background in your office that is more conscientious then ask them first. Believe me, it's not all of them. For example, I have an Indian friend who constantly jokes other Indian associates about smelling like curry and wearing the same work clothing they didn't wash after playing volley ball last Tuesday.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

If it was a friend, I would definitely find a way to tell him or her in private.

I've done that with a co-worker. It was not easy, but she did not react at all poorly to it.

Just imagine how you would want to be approached, and then make it more tactful.

In her case, it didn't matter -- she had a glandular problem, and was saving to have surgery on the sweat glands in her armpits. She well knew what she smelled like.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Try an anonymous note mailed to him or placed in his mailbox.

Here's a possibility:
=========================

Your presence is enjoyable and your contribution to the organization is valuable.

However, you have very strong body odor, by American standards. It creates a very negative image of you. It makes being around you uncomfortable.

In the United States, most people shower daily. Additionally, they use a product called "deodorant", available in supermarkets.

Please shower more regularly to eliminate your very strong body odor.

Please do not take offense at this suggestion.

This note is anonymous because I don't want to possibly harm our relationship.

Warmest Regards.
========================

Ultimately, this individual will greatly benefit from this information and will be grateful.