Cutaway68

Converted Amish?

I was on a load @ the Hillbilly Boogie where an Amish fellow made a tandem jump!?!? True Hillbilly!!

Is this a first?
Is everyone that was on that load going to hell?
Maybe, we can start a new religion!

Cutaway Chris

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

I was on a load @ the Hillbilly Boogie where an Amish fellow made a tandem jump!?!? True Hillbilly!!

Is this a first?
Is everyone that was on that load going to hell?
Maybe, we can start a new religion!

Cutaway Chris

Try to not be so narrow minded.

Depending on where this person was in his or her life, it may have been a personal test to see if they wanted to continue along a certain path or change.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

At a certain age in a amish persons life they are sent away to see if they want to continue in the amish life. I forget what it is called but it is a time where they get to know how the westerners live and then they get to decide. Most actually choose to stay in the amish community.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

That amaish man is friends of a local skydiver from that DZ and area.
He made a jump and one other man made an observation ride. they both really enjoyed each event of the boogie.
The guy who did the tandem could not zip his jumpsuit up because they are not allowed to have zippers, the TM had to zip it for him.. very funny to see.
When the amaish man landed I was there and his friend the local jumper asked was it worth it to go to hell. and the amaish replied "you would know better then I" and if you knew the local skydiver you could fully understand the statement better!
After the jump all the families loaded back into horse and buggy carts and went on with life.
The amaish come by that DZ often and they are great people, they also attend area airshows and enjoy those as well.
Jimmy coiner was at the boogie so I am sure that he cleared the amish guy to jump and not go to hell for his actions.(see events and places to jump hillbilly thread about jimmy C)
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

I once had an Amish student back at Z-hills in the late 1980's. He went through AFF, bought gear and kept skydiving. Many times he would have family members in tow to watch the goings on. He was really a great guy and got along with everyone at the DZ. The sad part is that when he had around 100 jumps he went in just getting line stretch when everyone on a small low experienced load he was on somehow lost altitude awareness. I think two other people on the load were open well below a grand. We never got anymore Amish skydivers after that.

At a certain age in a amish persons life they are sent away to see if they want to continue in the amish life. I forget what it is called but it is a time where they get to know how the westerners live and then they get to decide. Most actually choose to stay in the amish community.

Kingpin????????

Randy Quaid as Ishmael Boorg??????????

:D:D:D:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I used to live just northof the Indiana border near a large concentration of Amish. We had quite a few working in our factory. Some were what everyone called "jerked over". They were the ones that decided to leave the formal Amish life. Some were still Amish and rode in with other people. We jumped into the Amish flea market/auction once. The little kids in their Amish clothes and straw hats are so stinking cute. They wanted to know if we could breath up there. One of the funniest things we used to see was a buggy pulling a boat on a trailer with an outboard on it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

There's a young Amish man who is a member of the Professional Bull Riders Assoc. who is on TV, almost every week-end. He left home to become a bull rider. I wonder how the others of his community feel about him making visits home in that big, new pick-up?:D

Chuck

Like thunderbow i grew up in south central Mich where Amish abound and never heard that one.
The one thing i do know is they take the kids out of school at 16 to help work the farm

http://www.swoopstudios.com/videos/videos-rex.php

SOME amish communities participate in rumspringa, and even in those communities it is not a requirement. pretty much at any point in a amish person's life, they can chose to leave the community fully (out of town) or partially (just have a car & still stay at home) for a short time. If they decide to return to the church after this time all sins are forgiven - never to be thought of again. If this person even so much as positively thinks about their time outside the church it's considered lustfull & thus sinfull.

There are varying degrees of "amishness" however a traditional amish can not be in a motorized vehicle of any kind. In fact, some communities don't even allow bicycles as those would easily transport a person into the outside world.

The scripture the Amish base their religon on is "be in the world but not of the world", that is why they can't have anything considered modern - including electricity.

There are numerous other religons that are similar to amish, including mennonite (of which my family are members - parents left though), beachy, and some penicostal (sp?). The beachy's wear the same garb & have many of the same rules, but they have electricity, running water, phones & usefull vehicles (boats, tractors...) and they can profit from their activities (sell stuff for $). Old order mennonites have the same rules as beachy plus cars but they have to paint anything flashy black (chrome on cars...) & can use zippers/buttons & have smaller head coverings, plus the men never have facial hair. Penicostals don't have to wear head coverings all the time, they don't paint their car's black & men can wear ties & have facial hair. For all of these religons on men other than the facial hair, buttons, short sleeves & the hats they wear & of course the mode of transport used - it is very difficult to tell them apart. One may look exactly like an amish & then get in a boat & is infact beachy. For women, there are so many more rules about clothing/hair/headcoverings - they're much easier to differentiate.

If you know this fellow to have been amish & not one of the many others he must be some odd - "relaxed" amish & then I don't know what they're called. The whole point of being amish would have been nullified. There are many areas that have "jerked over" amish... the Mishianna area seems flush with them. Typically if a person leaves one of the churches they do not simply move down the ladder of strict sects, they rather just become regular christians of one sort or another or leave the church entirely..

ok, sorry - just needed to clear up some stuff.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Thanks Erica, I knew I was right lol but I was to lazy to do the research since earlier someone stated the rumspringa thing.

When I lived in Ohio my favorite site was the Amish... They fasinated me.... although Id laugh when the Wal-marts had poles to tie their horses up. It was to cute.

No problem - you were 100% correct, most to decide to stay in the church.

It's nice to have a place where I can spill all the useless knowledge stored in my brain.

Both my parent's families are old order mennonites, dad's more so than mom's... they have so many amish neighbors & some distant relatives. When you go to parks & stuff used by them you run into all kinds - I'm sure there are more sects out there I just don't know them. It's amazing how different they can be depending on their geography, I only know Michigan/Ohio & Virginia/Pennsylvania types. One parent from each region, my parent's left the church cause neither church could accept the other's differences! That worked out for me. Seeing it from the inside - it's great how tight the community is, it makes a tough life much more pleasent, I still can't see chosing to go back other than for family.

One thing I can say is DAMN those people can cook!!!

One thing I can say is DAMN those people can cook!!!

Hell yea, we used to go to this resturant in a memmonite community where it was served family style, sigh it was so good , big slabs of meat and big bowls of real mashed potatoes...

When I was in Highschool there was a teacher I babysat for, she had a amish adult living there and was tutoring him. Guess he was gay and when he went on his rumspringa realized it and never went back. He was so neat to talk to ... but some of the things were shocking that they have to grow up with. At least in the community he was raised in. Childrens service would have a field day. It was a bit scarey but it is one of the reasons they are so well behaved... Even at young ages like 2 and 3.

It's nice to have a place where I can spill all the useless knowledge stored in my brain.

you can never have useless information its just waiting for the right time to be informative which leads to better understanding ;):)
thanks for the incite very interesting:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

you can never have useless information its just waiting for the right time to be informative which leads to better understanding

Now THAT I like!

Lisa, I'm actually going to a family reunion in a few weeks in nowhere Indiana just so we can go to a few amish restaurants & shop for some quilts & stuff. It's great when the Amish leave the traditional church & sell their wears... great quality!! Too bad for their families though. Oh, and it's so fun to go "mixed" swimming (boys & girls in the same water @ the same time) & FREAK out the locals!!

It is amazing what the children go through growing up - in most of those communities. But one of the reasons the amish can drag their children outta school so young & a direct coolation to them not being able to profit from their ventures is that they don't pay taxes so the gov't leaves them alone. Basically they are in the country but have nothing to do with it. I'm pretty sure they don't vote, the use private schools, no gov't resources & so they don't pay taxes. We leave you alone, we leave you alone. I'm not sure how it works out in the amish areas that have grown so they start to turn a profit.

At ages 3 the girls are prepairing full 5 course meals:D... well, ok 8 yrs not 3. But the boys sure know how to drive a horse by 5!

I live near Lancaster, PA, so very large Amish community out here. But there are a lot of other groups (mennonite, German Baptist, etc) that dress in a similar manner, but are not Amish. Each is a different community with different beliefs, so without actually asking the person, it's often tough to know their individual cultural background.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda