NWFlyer

South African Meal - delicious, but was it authentic?

So I just got back from a delicious meal at a "South African" restaurant here in Atlanta. It was a great meal, but I'm curious from our South African friends on here - was it anything close to authentic?

Menu attached, and the restaurant's website is here (though I will warn you they get major demerits for egregious use of Flash.:S

(Special thanks goes out to the ATL trivia crew for the barrage of amusing text messages that came just as I was trying to escape the inevitable work-related small talk that follows a meal like that. You guys crack me UP! :D:D:D:D:D)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

We're supposed to know if it's authentic from a menu?

I got about 2 seconds into the flash before I turned it off. [:/]

Well, I don't expect a TEXAN to provide me any hints on its authenticity. I'm hoping some of the SA crew (that would be South Africa, not San Antonio) can at least tell me whether the stuff on the menu looks authentic. Obviously, they won't be able to judge the food itself.

Katie and I eat there regularly.

It's authentic and a great meal (and the closest thing to home cooking out here), although they're getting pretty pricey now.

edit: The bobotie and Sosaties are my favs.

Blues,
Ian

:)
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

It's authentic and a great meal (and the closest thing to home cooking out here), although they're getting pretty pricey now.

Blues,
Ian

Ian! of course I should have gone to you first - someone who would know authentic AND who has actually been there. It was yummy!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Blues,
Ian

Ian! of course I should have gone to you first - someone who would know authentic AND who has actually been there. It was yummy!

Dont listen to him! Hes just a poser. You know he likes cheeseburgers and fried chicken!:D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

It's looks to me like a good attempt to be "South African", although as Squeak points out there several things on the menu that one may find on menus any other place in the world.

South African cuisine has influences from Europe (Dutch, German, Portuguese), Malaysia, India and indigenous African ideas. I would guess that most of the peri-peri items on the menu are from Portuguese (or Angolan/Mozambique) recipes.
Although South Africa has about 1,550 miles of coastline, I wasn't aware that Crab Pastries were popular, very seldom seen those here. The Bobotie is originaly a Malay recipe, as is also the Sosaties.

The word 'sosatie' comes from the Malay word sesate, which means 'meat on skewers'.
Sosaties are a unique example of an original Muslim dish that did not contain pork, but did contain sheep-tail fat. Over the years, sosaties have become typically South African. Sosaties should be prepared three days in advance, and should always contain lamb. In a true sosatie, there are no other ingredients apart from meat, onions, bacon, apricots and bay or lemon leaves. If other kinds of meat or a mixture of meats are used, it's called a kebab. Also, if you add sweet peppers or marinated prunes, you also have a kebab.

The sosaties on the menu appear to have only meat on the skewer, a single meat type, and are served with apricots which makes them quite authentic based on the above definition.

I'm a little surprised not to see "potjiekos" (pot-food) on the menu, traditionaly a type of meat and vegetable stew slow-cooked in a cast iron pot over hot coals.
Not bad though overall, IMO.:)

Wow, I didn't think you could get places like that in the US! That's quite cool! It sounds about right, except for the grape leaves part - that's a new one for me. What did you eat? Also we South Africans are very proud of our wines, so you kinda have to have an SA wine with your meal ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------

-Chanti-

Yeah, I would say it wa as close as you can come.
There are the traditionals like Boerewors and boboeti, although being South African myself I don't eat either - yuk! nor pap. EEEUUU!

So I would rather go for the calamari or fish myself.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

That's a really good menu, and yes, pretty much what you would find on a menu in a restaurant in SA.

Indeed. A very good menu with a nice variety, although we don't refer to lamb chops as lollipop chops!

As a matter of interest, what do the typical (non SA) diners think they are getting when they order Boerewors and pap ?

Yeah, the pap is a funny one, esp as we used to get someone to make a batch up in the morning to feed to our dogs!

Also, speaking of feeding dogs, in some places in the world (China I think) chicken head and feet are a delicacy, and this is what we fed our dogs for ages. We would buy "heads and feet" for them all the time! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
www.sneale-create.com

Yeah, the pap is a funny one, esp as we used to get someone to make a batch up in the morning to feed to our dogs!

But there is a huge difference between morning pap (a.k.a porridge) and the pap one eats with boerewors or chops (and lots of gravy)!

Is there even an English name for stywe pap???

Wow, I didn't think you could get places like that in the US! That's quite cool! It sounds about right, except for the grape leaves part - that's a new one for me. What did you eat? Also we South Africans are very proud of our wines, so you kinda have to have an SA wine with your meal ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Their web site claims they're the only South African restaurant in the U.S.

Someone else ordered the wine, so I'm not sure if it was South African or not. I had the chicken curry as my entree, and we shared most of the appetizers for the whole table. (And I did try a bite of my coworker's ostrich medallion, which was pretty tasty).

Thanks everyone for your replies ... I always like to try new cuisine, and this one was a totally new experience for me. I'm glad to hear it was at least somewhat authentic.

Indeed. A very good menu with a nice variety, although we don't refer to lamb chops as lollipop chops!

It's not the usual way of referring to them here, either - I think it is used to distinguish the smaller chops (lollipop) from larger ones.

As a matter of interest, what do the typical (non SA) diners think they are getting when they order Boerewors and pap ?

I have no idea! What is pap, anyway? :S