TrophyHusband

help me gun people

my dad just gave me a break action single shot 12 guage. i would like to restore it to original condition. the stock is missing and the rest of it is't in very good shape. the only markings on it are "Mass Arms Co. Chicopee Falls, Mass" and on top of the barrel "*Choke Bored*". there is no serial number. what can you tell me about this gun?

my mom also gave me a remington model 721 .300 h&h magnum. i've emailed remington requesting info about it but any info about his type of gun would aslo be appreciated.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

my dad just gave me a break action single shot 12 guage. i would like to restore it to original condition. the stock is missing and the rest of it is't in very good shape. the only markings on it are "Mass Arms Co. Chicopee Falls, Mass" and on top of the barrel "*Choke Bored*". there is no serial number. what can you tell me about this gun?

my mom also gave me a remington model 721 .300 h&h magnum. i've emailed remington requesting info about it but any info about his type of gun would aslo be appreciated.

I would help you...but we would get booted to SC [:/]
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

but we would get booted to SC

Only if you make a debate out of it.

BUT: the thread may get more gun-nuts eyeballs over there anyways!

Ok, go there ....I don't want to debate! I'm a firing range type of girlie B|
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

a break action single shot 12 guage. ... the stock is missing and the rest of it is't in very good shape. the only markings on it are "Mass Arms Co. Chicopee Falls, Mass" and on top of the barrel "*Choke Bored*". there is no serial number.

what can you tell me about this gun?

It was probably used in a murder.:D

www.armscollectors.com

Not sure...........seems like it might be RATHER old though. Everything mentioned that I found is some sort of antique. May have to get on their forums and ask questions. You can also try this guy.......

John Kopec
530-222-4440

He works at an authentication service so he can probably point you towards information on it.

Contact the NRA Museum in fairfax VA they are the world's experts on fireamrms and have helped me identify a Remington that Remington could not help me with. BTW they are fast.

Numrich gun parts is a good source for old parts.

a break action single shot 12 guage. ... the stock is missing and the rest of it is't in very good shape. the only markings on it are "Mass Arms Co. Chicopee Falls, Mass" and on top of the barrel "*Choke Bored*". there is no serial number.

No it means it was manufactured before firearms were serialized.

Most firearms did not have a serial number unless it was a military weapon(inventory reasons)

I may be wrong but I beleive it not until 1968 that ALL firearms had to have a serial number.

Remington is worthless when it comes to information.

Not too much to tell you about the shotgun. But you didn't really say if it was single barrel/double barrel, what guage, ... but even if you give that info, it sounds like something that a gunsmith or expert would have to see to really give you good information. And no.... as stated above. just because it doesn't have a serial number doesn't mean it was used in a crime. Prior to 1968, serial numbers were not required.

The model 721 is the predecessor to the model 700 (current remington bolt gun) They are almost identical. The bolt handle is shaped different, bolt shroud is different - but technically similiar design. Big magnum cartridge. h&h stands for Holland and Holland from England. You can still get that round here... but it's not cheap.

hope that helps...

Karen

No it means it was manufactured before firearms were serialized.

Most firearms did not have a serial number unless it was a military weapon(inventory reasons)

I may be wrong but I beleive it not until 1968 that ALL firearms had to have a serial number.

Remington is worthless when it comes to information.

Uh..you realize my post was humor, don't you? The :D is supposed to be a dead giveaway.

I've got a Remington model-721. It's a definate straight shooter. Mine, is 30.06. With this rifle, you may want to get it to a good, knowledgable gunsmith. There was a problem with the safety. A safety bulletin was put-out by Remington after an incident in Montana. I had mine checked-out and no problem. I put a 3x9 scope on it and once sighted-in, you can knock the whiskers off a gnat at 100-yds., easy!:D It's just a sweet rifle.
You can find information on this rifle on the net.

Chuck

Here is a good article on the 300H&H

The meat hunter does not like bloodshot meat and hence impact velocity is important so that a lot of meat does not go to waste - impact velocity should not be higher than around 2,200 fps and thus the 300 Ultra Remington Magnum will bruise a lot of meat when game is shot between 200 to 300 yds.
Look at this table for a comparison:- (200 gr bullet, BC = 0.556)

300 H&H MUZZLE 200 YDS 250 YDS 300 YDS 350 YDS
Velocity - fps 2,700 2,384 2,308 2,233 2,159
Bullet Drop Z=200 0 -3.2 -8.1 -14.7
Wind Drift @ 10 mph 4.1 5.9 8.2

300 Ultra Rem Mag MUZZLE 200 YDS 250 YDS 300 YDS 350 YDS
Velocity - fps 3,025 2,602 2,522 2,443 2,365
Bullet Drop Z=200 0 -2.5 -6.2 -11.3
Wind Drift @ 10 mph 3.5 5.1 7.0

The 300 H&H is ideal at hunting distances between 250 and 350 yards - at 350 yards the Ultra Rem Magnum is roughly doing the velocity that the 300 H&H is doing at 200 yds and it would cause more meat damage as the impact velocity is too high and shots beyond 350 yards are less common and more risky in terms of accuracy, bullet drop and last but not least the wind drift all of which get progressively worse the longer the shot. If shots are common at 300 to 350 yds then one should rather zero the rifle at 300 yds to minimize hold over.

Congratulations you have a nice big game rifle.

i'm gathering that most of my shots will be 150 to 300 yards. i need to talk to a few more natives and find out the consensus about where to site in my rifle. i wish i had read this article before puchasing ammo yesterday though. i bought 180gr bullets and it sounds like 200gr would be better.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

i'm gathering that most of my shots will be 150 to 300 yards. i need to talk to a few more natives and find out the consensus about where to site in my rifle. i wish i had read this article before puchasing ammo yesterday though. i bought 180gr bullets and it sounds like 200gr would be better.

yep 200 grain or 220 if you are taking dangerous game or shooting greater than 300 yds.

sight it for 250yds that way there isn't much holdover going a bit longer and shorter you are in the kill zone/vital area sighting dead on.

that rifle should perform as well as a Mk4 enfield and better, maybe closer to an L42

Damn - I thought this thread was going to be about hunting people.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

According to a quick look at my reference books, the Massachusetts Arms Co. in Chicopee Falls, was in business from 1850 through about 1882. So it's antique old.

They started out with percussion revolvers, made Maynard rifles for the Civil War, and sporting rifles thereafter.

Values range from $2,500 for the earlier stuff in excellent condition, to $100 for the later stuff in poor condition.

But I don't see any shotguns listed from them. So that confuses me with your "choke bore" marking...