AMax

No lift

Maybe they figured the SC folks were too busy reading Newsmax and NPR to read Parachutist :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Nice job!
Go, professor ;)

Curious as to why this was moved to Bonfire - it's about a letter in Parachutist concerning skydiving. Moderator?

maybe because there's nothing in the 1st two post that remotely sugests that
especially to the NON USA folks
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nice job!
Go, professor ;)

Curious as to why this was moved to Bonfire - it's about a letter in Parachutist concerning skydiving. Moderator?

Two possible explanations:
1) Because I did not elaborate that in the original post
2) Conspiracy (opponents of your theory are trying to hide the truth from the general public) :P

By the way, I like your new name :)

kallend said: Curious as to why this was moved to Bonfire - it's about a letter in Parachutist concerning skydiving. Moderator?

I moved it because the first two posts gave no indication that it had anything at all to do with skydiving.

squeak said: maybe because there's nothing in the 1st two post that remotely sugests that especially to the NON USA folks

Correct! Even USPA folks like me may not have understood - I haven't read my Parachutist yet, and not everyone reads every single article.

The moral of the story: the author should have made his subject clear so it was evident to all that it was an appropriate fit in S&T.
Arrive Safely

John

kallend said: Curious as to why this was moved to Bonfire - it's about a letter in Parachutist concerning skydiving. Moderator?

I moved it because the first two posts gave no indication that it had anything at all to do with skydiving.

squeak said: maybe because there's nothing in the 1st two post that remotely sugests that especially to the NON USA folks

Correct! Even USPA folks like me may not have understood - I haven't read my Parachutist yet, and not everyone reads every single article.

The moral of the story: the author should have made his subject clear so it was evident to all that it was an appropriate fit in S&T.

OK, I forgive you.;)

So what do you think of the letter?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

OK, I forgive you.;)

So what do you think of the letter?

well, since I live in po-dunkville, Illinois now, I don't yet have my copy. but, being the physics guru you are, i'm sure it's quite informative. i look forward to reading it!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

OK John, that was a non supported arguement, would you please indicate where these "documented" cases of glide ratios exceeding 1:1 are, I find it difficult to beleive that a person tracking can gain altitide, but I'm more tha willing to read anything documented that can prove otherwise:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

OK John, that was a non supported arguement, would you please indicate where these "documented" cases of glide ratios exceeding 1:1 are, I find it difficult to beleive that a person tracking can gain altitide, but I'm more tha willing to read anything documented that can prove otherwise:)

1:1 glide ratio (or more) does not involve gaining altitude. Please re-state your question.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

1:1 glide ratio (or more) does not involve gaining altitude. Please re-state your question.

OK my bad not gaining alti.
OK a ratio of 1:1 is 1 unit forward for 1 unit down, correct?

So exceeding that ratio (possibly incorrectly) to me implies that you are going less than 1 unit down for every unit forward. Where a !;) ratio would be maintaining altitude. Can you direct me to documentation that supports someone tracking with a better than 1:1 glide ratio.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How about this one?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=95687;search_string=tracking;#95687
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

not validated by any independant source

OK, just for you, Squeak;

http://www.trackingderby.com/trace_view.php?trace_id=1020

According to the Glide Ratio graph he nver realy acheaved better than 1:1 the ratio range apears to be 1.1through to 1.8, for the timed distance. or am i reading it wrong?
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

not validated by any independant source

OK, just for you, Squeak;

http://www.trackingderby.com/trace_view.php?trace_id=1020

According to the Glide Ratio graph he nver realy acheaved better than 1:1 the ratio range apears to be 1.1through to 1.8, for the timed distance. or am i reading it wrong?

1:1 is the same as 1.0:1, and according to the Glide Ratio graph he peaked about 1.7:1. 1.7 is greater than 1.0.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.