osuskydiver

How many of you are military?

IMHO Airborne school does not really qualify for "getting paid to skydive" but I hope to meet you at Raeford.

I completely agree! Airborne School is just something that I must go through before I can start getting paid to skydive in the army.

Sounds like you have seen alot of interesting things in your career, jumping out at 500' is NUTS

Hope to meet you at Raeford in April

By the time you read this you have already read it.

US Navy, active duty, Lieutenant Commander (O-4) ; tailhook aviator currently serving in a carrier air wing on the west coast. Fifteen years of service including 4 at USNA. Various assignments all over the country, deployments to the Atlantic, Med, Pacific, and the Gulf.

Memories – lots of exhilarating ones, too many to list, but the first carrier landing and subsequent catapult shot have to rank up there with the most vivid. And then there's that December day in 2000 I'll tell you about after a few beers. I also remember times of tremendous sadness, with the tragic and devastating loss of comrades and the effort to comfort their loved ones.

The job is demanding but rewarding; I get out of it what I put into it. Even though I’m not holding the reins of the mightiest machines in the air wing, the flying is amazing.

What sticks out most in my mind, though, and what stays with me, though, is the people . . . some of the most incredible humans I have ever met. I am honored and humbled to serve alongside some of them and feel unbelievably blessed to know them and their families.

God Bless them . . .

Bobby

Edited for a stinkin' typo.

USAF, 15 1/2 years. Got out as MSgt (E7).

5+ years as a medic (when medics were allowed to actually do stuff -- got my civilian paramedic rating), left the field as I made rank as I did more and more paperwork, lesss and less medicing. Last job was NCOIC of Internal Medicine clinic.

Cross-trained into computer ops for 4 years and enjoyed it a lot; my first computer was a CDC Cyber-74 -- back in 1979 that was a true supercomputer. Taught myself programming (FORTRAN and COBOL), built a home computer and cross-trained into programming while at HG USAF-Europe.

Spent 5 years leading up to 12 people on projects for Air University at Maxwell AFB, Aladamnbama. Learned a lot, accomplished a lot, had a lot of fun. Left because I had AFR35-11 problems and they offered to help me by taking a stripe -- I said "Give me an Honorable and I'll get out of your hair".

They did.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

US Army, E6 96H30AP, Military Intelligence (we'll show the egg you suck it on your own), 5 years, spent the majority of my time assigned to the JTF in Florida where i visited my stuff 2 or 3 days a month....

still playing 'godless contractor' for the military hither and yon, just returned from supporting OIF for a bit..

E-5.....1985-1991 F-4D and F-16 A&B crew chief in the Illinois Air National Guard........183rd TFG (it's a TFW now though.) (yes, you have probably heard of it.)

I got out only because I didn't want to transition to a new job, with a new wife and a new son, in a new state, with a new airplane and (obviously) a new unit.

I can start getting paid to skydive in the army.

I hate to burst your bubble but you are not going to get paid to skydive in the Army. If you consider static line jumping "skydiving" then I guess you could say that. The only people who actually "skydive" are those on HALO status and are drawing HALO pay. Your chances of achieving that are slim to none depending on your MOS field.

15 yrs, Active duty SF. 18Z5HW8QB; 18F4HW8QB; 18C4HW6QB; 11B3PQ6QB and a few more ASI's I could switch out if I so choose.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

IMHO Airborne school does not really qualify for "getting paid to skydive" but I hope to meet you at Raeford.

"Getting paid to skydive".... better get that in writeing. HALO school is hard to get unless your special ops. Even as a rigger, I never could get HALO school. Have it in writeing or don't expect it.

HALO is even hard to get in the special op community. Only one HALO team in a battalion.

"Getting paid to skydive".... better get that in writeing. HALO school is hard to get unless your special ops. Even as a rigger, I never could get HALO school. Have it in writeing or don't expect it.

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

Only one HALO team in a battalion.

Not anymore, one HALO designated team per company and one team with the same capability as a secondary(in my Co.).

"Smart" or not, no one really skydives in the Military, it's all work related.;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Man, I wasn't accepted in the airborne in my country (Bolivia), because my mother asked a doctor friend of hers to make me fail the physical test and so I was "diagnosed" with Vertigo, loss of equilibrium, and dissynes, >:(:S anyway, then I came to the states and first thing I did was to enroll into AFF yeah! my mother was so against me jumping but she's ok now...

Felipe.
--
Blue Skies
NO FEARS, NO LIMITS, NO MONEY...
"A Subitánea et Improvísa Morte, Líbera nos, Domine."