wildcard451

Croc hunter dead...?

the barb is the tail

The barb is ON the tail. Some species have more than one barb. The barbs tend to be close to the base of the tail, above the anus. The tails are strong and they do whip very quickly to lodge the venom that coats the barb (as well as a pretty big puncture) in whoever threatened it. This is purely defensive - they don't use it to kill prey. Most stings are people wading and stepping on the rays, who have buried themselves just below the sand. Pour hot water on it to destroy the protein enzyme that causes the sting, then treat the puncture wound and you'll survive with a painful story.

Sometimes when I dive or snorkel, I get my body down close to the sand to look at something closely. This involves some careful manuevering, because I don't want to disturb what's on the bottom or let any part of my body or dangling equipment or fins touch the bottom. You don't want to kick up sand and ruin the view, and you don't want to damage the coral. It's requires some buoyancy skills (basically, careful breathing) to not touch and still get close - learning skills like that is part of the joy of diving. Once or twice I've been pretty close to the bottom and seen two breathe-holes open in the sand. It's possible in this situation that the ray may freak out and whip a barb into your chest, face or other body part. You would have to be just inches off the bottom for that. Or the ray may swim up quickly to affect an escape and hit you at the same time.

Other possibility is that a really stupid diver might try to grab a wild ray by it's wings. The whole venomous barb is there to save the ray from becoming dinner and if you are mauling it, it will assume you're trying to eat it, and it will whack you, probably in the chest, head or groin. I don't want to assume anything, but this is an individual that seems to regularly handle wild animals in such a fashion.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

He was constantly flirting with disaster, that is what got people to watch his show.

It is terrible for his family, but remember how he had his tiny young kid with him during a croc scene? It created a little controversy for the endangerment, I thought it was outrageous. I suspect he would have continued to include his kids on the show to boost ratings. It sounds harsh, but I'm glad he got it before his kids suffered because of his ambition and arrogance.

I always thought he was irritating.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The point about exposing his children to crocs is valid, and something that the Irwins obviously considered and made a conscious decision about. They later explained that they decided to expose their children to crocodiles while young so that they would be comfortable with them and not flip out when they encounter them later in life.

I can see both sides of that argument, and I was with you on that. But you lost me with "I'm glad he got it." Being harsh with the truth is one thing, but being glad anyone is dead is beyond harsh. It's ridiculous.

The point about exposing his children to crocs is valid, and something that the Irwins obviously considered and made a conscious decision about. They later explained that they decided to expose their children to crocodiles while young so that they would be comfortable with them and not flip out when they encounter them later in life.

I can see both sides of that argument, and I was with you on that. But you lost me with "I'm glad he got it." Being harsh with the truth is one thing, but being glad anyone is dead is beyond harsh. It's ridiculous.

Look at all the parents that give their kids guns to use when they are young.
Is that so they wont flip out later on in life when they come across them?

Will he go for Cremation, burial or croc food?

www.myspace.com/durtymac

I don't know. I can't speak for anyone else and why they raise their kids the way they do. Which is perfectly acceptable because it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

remember how he had his tiny young kid with him during a croc scene? It created a little controversy for the endangerment, I thought it was outrageous. I suspect he would have continued to include his kids on the show to boost ratings. It sounds harsh, but I'm glad he got it before his kids suffered because of his ambition and arrogance.

I have to agree with you here...the incident with his kid was the only thing that I could think of reading that. That was just messed up.

[:/]

But you lost me with "I'm glad he got it." Being harsh with the truth is one thing, but being glad anyone is dead is beyond harsh. It's ridiculous.

There was no period after the "it" in my post. I said...
"I'm glad he got it before his kids suffered because of his ambition and arrogance." There is a difference.

I think his kids would likely have been injured or killed from his poor judgement. After the croc incident with his kid - instead of apologizing and promising to never do it again, he was absolutely confident in his ability to tempt fate. He was wrong.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

However, that was the end of my sentence and grammar dictates that punctuation goes inside the quotation marks.

Only in the United States. In the UK, for example, the period goes outside the quotation marks unless it was part of the original quote.

And yes, I'm aware of just how sad knowing this makes me.

I'll admit to being beyond harsh, OK.

I am glad that he died before he caused the death or serious injury of one of his kids. I say this because I think his death or serious injury due to intentionally pissing off dangerous wild animals was inevitable. Remember the South Park episode? It was only a little exaggerated.

I think he would have loved for his kids to be part of the stingray scene. I think he likely would have had his kids show how they can also piss off dangerous wild animals and get away with it, or at least be right there looking on as dad did it. It could then have been his kid that got the barb in the chest.

I feel sorry for Terri and his son, who's about 4 now. :(

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Shit...I held a stingray and a nurse shark 2 months ago in Beleze. I even fucked with one fighting over food.

I then swam after a manta ray - friggin unbelieveable sight..... Their stingers were like 20ft long. I dont see how they could whip those around. Take a 20 ft dowel underwater and try to move it at all.

I went and grabbed one of the sea Rays 20 ft long tentacles and swam it back to the boat. The guide from the hotel said that the catch limit was 2 for the island ao we had manta ray tacos and steaks that night. Tasted Gamey.

I think that kids are much more likely to be curious about guns, and want to find and check out their parents guns if they don't have the ability to use them in an appropriate setting. When I was young, I knew exactly where my dad's guns were, but the temptation to check them out on my own simply did not exist because they were not a mystery to me.

Really sad for his wife and two kids. You kind of think of characters like him as invincible because they seem so animated, but I guess when you constantly put yourself into a situation with potentially deadly, unpredictable creatures something is going to happen eventually.

Apparently the occurance of being killed by a sting ray barb is so rare that there are only two previous deaths on record in Australia - and the last one was in 1948. That's bloody unlucky.

But who knows what the interaction was proceeding the sting.

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

Tried to play Jesus with a stingray. Forgot he's not Jewish, stayed dead.

FUCK! Seriously bad way to go. BW*BD

*Water :(

BWBD - That's kinda funny.