MJH

Bad Press in Phila. Inquirer on Cross Keys Fatalities

Here her latest reply:

Dear Ralf,

Please see the July 14, 2005 story by my colleage, Wendy Ruderman, in which she accurately reported that the Louisiana man who died in 2004 after jumping at Freefall had a Blood Alcohol Level of .16 - twice the legal limit.

Monica Yant Kinney

jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

agreed. She's probably getting her jollies off this right now - stop sending her emails! Seriously, its doing nothing but proving her point - she's not as passionate about this as we are.

But I do agree with one of her points - crashing in someone yard in front of kids is fucked up, no matter how you look at it. CK may be outgrowing the area... I'd expect this might be a sign of bad press to come for them.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Please see the July 14, 2005 story by my colleage, Wendy Ruderman, in which she accurately reported that the Louisiana man who died in 2004 after jumping at Freefall had a Blood Alcohol Level of .16 - twice the legal limit.

well of course that's her response... because its obvious that an isolated incident defines the behavior of the rest of our community...

arguing with her isn't going to help... as passionate as we are about this sort of thing it isn't going to do any good trying to convince her that these incidencts though tragic are not typical... [:/]
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

and hence my response:

Dear Ms. Yant Kinney,
While I appreciate your colleague publishing the mentioned article, it is fair to state that your article suggest multiple frequent cases of intoxicated jumpers. Any reasonable person will agree to that. I am sure that there were many DUI arrests in Cross Keys lately, yet you have not suggested that some drivers drive drunk. I am sure that some drive naked too, not that that poses any hazard to anyone else but themselves.
What you fail to address the facts is baffling to me. You may have made a genuine mistake. After reading your article the public will now perceive us as naked drunks plummeting to our deaths through the air and taking aim at neighboring schools, hospitals and nursing homes. We as a group and as an association disagree with your false picture of us. Please remedy your mistake to our satisfaction.

jraf

Muff #3275

I understand and actually that's a pretty good response... (although I'd have left out the Please remedy your mistake to our satisfaction.)

I'm just thinking back to College English 102 and my persuasion paper... where I chose to quote articles that made my point and downplay the things that don't.

It doesn't make her right... it just makes her point... [:/]
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

But... help me determine WHO is the editor in chief.

It appears that Chris is the editorial page editor. Here's what I was able to find:

Joseph Natoli, Publisher and Chairman, 215-854-4600
Amanda Bennett, Editor and Executive Vice President, 215-854-2529
Anne Gordon, Managing Editor, 215-854-4682
Sandra D. Long, Deputy Managing Editor, 215-854-4515
Tom McNamara, Deputy Managing Editor, 215-854-2549
Carl Lavin, Deputy Managing Editor, 215-854-4562
Chris Mills, Deputy Managing Editor, 215-854-4616
Nancy Cooney, Metropolitan Editor, 215-854-4560
Acel Moore, Associate Editor (emeritus), 215-854-4533
Chris Satullo, Editor of the Editorial Page, 215-854-5943
Harold Jackson, Deputy Editor of the Editorial Page, 215-854-2555.

I'll look for email addresses next.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

To everyone that is writing letters, if you are not from the local area of publication of the newspaper you are not helping the image of CK at all. The writer has not done anything wrong, she stated an opinion that upset a lot of people on here, but it probally rings true in the view of some of her readers. Unless you are in the circulation area of her paper you are not helping CrossKeys, you are probally hurting things by proving to her that she hit a nerve and will follow it up with more stories on the same topic to keep her reader circulation numbers up and the public talking about what shes writing.

Please allow the dropzone to handle this as well as the people that live in PA.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Agreed.

I also don't see anything in her column warranting calling her a 'cunt'. She had an opinion, she voiced it. She had some valid points. She also has no true exposure to the skydiving community, that was apparent too.

What would be more beneficial... calling her names, or inviting her to the DZ for a day, maybe offering a free tandem?

It sickens me to see the juvenile responses that so many have posted on this thread. How can anyone respect us as a group when a loud few make us look like a bunch of whiners who can't handle it when someone disagrees with our chosen lifestyle?

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Resposnes that contain uncivilised language never carry any wieght. I have written to her as a skydiver and as a member of the USPA. This is not only Cross Keys issue. I find it insulting that such generalizations be used. I am originally from PA and don't need my parents or my kids reading such statements in the press. This was uncalled for. I am sure the owners of Cross Keys will take care of themselves. I am defending skydivers in general and myself in particular
jraf

Muff #3275

It sickens me to see the juvenile responses that so many have posted on this thread. How can anyone respect us as a group when a loud few make us look like a bunch of whiners who can't handle it when someone disagrees with our chosen lifestyle?

Welcome to DZ.com:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"It sickens me to see the juvenile responses that so many have posted on this thread."

Does this article not sicken you?

JRAF, keep up the good work. Even if it doesn't do any good she is still getting your points. I could almost see the "drunk" thing blowing up in your face before it happened but keep plugging away.

No, having been around for a few years and seen all the news articles that have occured after incidents this does not bother me in the least. 6 months from now it will be a distant memory in all except a few minds. When someone else happens in the CK area what do you think will flash in her mind first? The massive number of responces she got from her last article or the number of readers she can point out to her editor to show that people are reading the paper to see her artiles?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I see your point and agree with it to a certain level.

Her letter was placed in forum with as wide an access as the internet can provide. She took her opinion out of the local community. She projected her view of skydivers as a whole, not just those at just Cross Keys.

News is different now that it's not just circulation numbers.

Here's how I'm going to respond to her article, and all the other negative publicity this awful incident has generated:

I'm gonna head down to Crosskeys and jump my ass off this weekend. And I'm going to get as many people as I can to come with me.

And when I'm done jumping, I'm going to take off my shoes, grab some beer, and raise a toast (or two... or ten) in honor of PJ.

So there.

>Fucking Douchebag.

Wow. I guess she's got at least part of it right!

She (poorly) brings up a valid point, which is that we cannot, under any circumstances, put whuffos at risk. That might mean better spotting. It might mean less pushing of cloud clearance limits. It might mean lower wind limits when jumping near populated areas.

Our best response to stories like hers would be to ignore the rhetoric and just fix the problem, so she has nothing to write about in the future. All the attacks just a) prove she has a big audience (so her boss gives her a raise) and b) suggest she's right about skydivers being unsafe, uncaring clods who don't care who they injure.

we cannot, under any circumstances, put whuffos at risk.

Fine, but where do you draw the line? Are we not allowed to get out over populated areas now? Fine, What about for demos, ok, no more demos? Is the plane allowed to fly over populated areas while it climbs to altitude? What about non skydiving planes, ok now we close most of the airports in the US? What do we determine to be populated? Is crosskeys populated, because of the trailer park to the east, and the housing to the north? Ok, what about Skydive Chicago, certainly not as dense, but I did manage to open over a farm house while I was there. Or at Perris, I might burn in on someone working the nearby farm fields.

This is a slippery slope that could lead to an effective ban of skydiving at 90 percent of the dzs out there.

As long as there is an airport in the area, there will be risk for people on the ground, and not just from skydivers. I think a better statement is that we have a responsibility to mittigate this risk as much as possible, but as long as we jump from airplanes there will always be the possibility that we may hurt someone on the ground, physically or emotionally.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

Yes it is, and I am biting my tongue as well.

I thought that on my first read too. But skydiving does attract a wild crowd.... even if 99% of us probably don't consider ourselves 'wild'. Some do jump naked. And although it doesn't happen a lot, some occasionally slip through and jump drunk... and she has the fodder to prove it with the fatality 2 years ago at CK.

I don' t like how she said what she did, I don't like her article at all, but I also can't really refute parts of it either.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda