MJH

Bad Press in Phila. Inquirer on Cross Keys Fatalities

I am a jumper at xkeys; I am a long time, life long actually, resident of Monroe Twp. I have grown up within 5 miles of the dz. My family, mother, father, and grandmother, along with aunts and uncles and cousins, are residents in this community. They do not wish to see skydiving banned or tossed out of monroe twp; they understand all the joy and happiness it brings. These articles are not reflective of the community as a whole.

I did my first skydive when I was 18. I began jumping when I was 20. I am now 25.

This is my response, both emotional and factual, to all this bad press. Go ahead and search through my posts and you will see numerous links to POSITIVE NEWS STORIES regarding FREEFALL ADVENTURES and SKYDIVE CROSS KEYS.

I have been working on the ambulance that services this area, the drop zone included, since January 2000.

Let me highlight some of the great things Freefall adventures has done over the few years since I have been out there.

John Eddows has paid for Rope Rescue courses for local EMS agencies designed specifically to retrieve skydivers out of trees in quick, safe, and efficient ways. These courses last three days and require two trained instructors to come down from up North.

John Eddows has hosted numerous fundraisers for the Williamstown Fire Department. Hose Swooping 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 (?). When he has hosted these events he has not only given proceeds to the agencies but he has also donated money.

He has allowed us to sell BBQ out at the dz, in an effort to raise money.

He donates a free skydive to our annual banquet which is raffled off at the annual appreciation banquet. He has been doing this for more years that I’ve been around and I’ve been doing EMS since 2000.

John opens the dz to the local rescue agencies to perform annual refresher courses designed to familiarize Rescue crews with operations relative to dropzones and skydiving. I.E., fuselage locations, emergency procedures for aircraft and skydivers, familiarization with skydiving gear, including A.A.D.’s, RSL’s. He provides certified staff for these courses and addresses ALL of our concerns.

John provides his rescuers with refreshments both during and after events. He opens his hangar to us to debrief.

John works in a continuously developing EMS responses , gradually growing and developing the courses/ classes/ drills. John doesn’t just open his dz to one small Cessna crash drill; he sits down with rescue agencies and game plans more intensive and larger drills. I know because I have personally sat in on these meetings.

John Eddows has closed down his business , both the airport and skydiving operations, for the benefit of training courses. This means that he has TAKEN A FINANCIAL LOSS and put his fun jumpers desires aside in order to PROMOTE SAFETY THROUGH INTENSIVE TRAINING AND EVALUATION OF EMERGENCY PROCEDURES . Do you know how the fun jumpers responded to this “loss”? how the staff responded when the dz was closed, thus they lost wages? They dressed up in mass, painted crazy injuries all over their bodies, purchased old clothes and tore those clothes, put their rigs and other equipment on, and laid on grounds, on runways, in woods, in aircraft for hours at a time while EMS agencies practiced rescuing them. edit to add they have used their own video equipment and cameras to document these drills, for the benefit of debriefing and viewing.

When I first began skydiving I was interested in working on the dz and working with the dz and the local ambulance and fire departments to increase emergency responses. John has given me full power to organize these events. He tells me, “Figure it out, plan it, and just let me know when. I will give you whatever you need to pull (insert event/ training class/ fundraiser/ etc here) off.”

I’m not familiar with the other fundraisers he does; what I am familiar with his genuine and complete openness to his staff and fun jumpers to take on fundraisers like this and organize and host them at the dropzone with his complete consent.

[bold] I am very grateful to John Eddows, Freefall Adventures, and all of the staff, because they have given me 100% support to improve EMS responses via continuous education. P.J., Mark Kruse, Rob Branch, Rick Wynne, Rob Stanley, Dave Pancake, and other staff members have personally given demonstrations regarding gear and aircraft. They have given their time to contribute to the community. [/bold]

I love Xkeys, I love the skydiving school. It has changed my life for the better. I will support John and his buisness, despite the injuries I have seen because I have seen so much good, so much contributed to the community, from Freefall Adventures.

Yea its so easy for us who don't have a personal/emotional connection to type. But its always good to hear from the positive side.

I'm sorry for the loss of both lives abd outraged by the ignorance that is so widespread amongst the media/colunmnists[:/]
My photos

My Videos

I felt that I had to respond to the columnist as well.

Ms. Yant Kinney,

I read your piece on Skydivers too close for comfort in the Philadelphia Inquirer. As a writer, an artist with words, you might feel proud. Your article painted a picture that generated a lot of feeling. However, I don't know if the emotions that you evoked were those that you intended. I feel sorrow and disgust for your limited views on life. You assume that because you don't believe in experiencing the joy of freefall that everyone should likewise shun it or at least cast it aside to an inconvient and forgetable place away from "normal people." You narrowmindedly criticize a culture of which you have a limited, if any, understanding. You close your eyes to the possiblity that there can be a value in risking so much for so little. Your ignorance is saddening.

Please take the time to better educate yourself on topics of which you voice an opinion. Skydiving is so much more than you showed knowledge of: The different disciplines in the sport each with their own challenges and rewards. The philosophical view that is often held by jumpers - A passion to LIVE life rather than just endure the days. The people that you easily dismiss as "daredevils who spend their free time and disposable income." You misrepresented us greatly. We are doctors and lawyers, mechanics and cooks, columnist and secretaries. We are the person next door that "lives, shops, works or worships" near the Crosskeys Dropzone and we are the ones that live thousands of miles away. We are "normal people." You just don't know us that well so you find us strange and slander our image. An easier task than truly doing research and attempting to understand.

Finally, I wanted to remark on the callously vulgar comments on the death of a "reveler" who died in 2004. His tragedy was NOT confined to the airport hangar. His death touched deeper and further than you could believe... but more importantly, Paul Rafferty's LIFE inspired more souls than a thousand of your articles will ever be able to touch.

Where the hell is the USPA on all this? Needles is given a quote that made him seem indifferent...

Why are we paying these peoples' salaries? So they can build some sillyass museum?

AOPA could educate USPA on how to react to the stupid, lazy, fatassed, ignorant, whitebread consumerist idiots that drive their Hummer H2s two blocks to get their Krispy-Kreme drinkable donut (via the drive thru, of course) and their Hardees' Thickburger.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ-the fat fucking manatees that populate the Edward Scissorhands-looking McMansions should be marched into the street and have a shotgun put to the base of their empty skulls and be told to shut the fuck up.

No wonder the rest of the world hates us! I hate us!

Fucking slovenly consumerist assholes.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

My current concern, is that for everyone of these well written, well thought out responses, there will be 10 "You're an ignorant cunt!" responses from skydivers around the country. Guess which ones she will highlight in her column next week?

Before you send a response to this woman, if you insist on doing so, take the time to think about how anything you say, may be used against all of us later.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

Where the hell is the USPA on all this? Needles is given a quote that made him seem indifferent...

no the quote that was printed in the article made him seem indifferent... he may have said much more and the newspaper printed the portion of his quote that made the point they wanted to be made.

(ok... I'm mostly talking out of my ass at the moment... but I think that's about right...)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

My current concern, is that for everyone of these well written, well thought out responses, there will be 10 "You're an ignorant cunt!" responses from skydivers around the country. Guess which ones she will highlight in her column next week?

Don't be silly. They'll say "Your an ignorant cunt.":|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

"You're an ignorant cunt!" responses from skydivers around the country. Guess which ones she will highlight in her column next week?

particularly since that illistrates the point she wants to make... :S:|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

My take on what is really going on with that op-ed piece, borrowed liberally from the item's content...

You're my hero...for right now. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I've jumped at CK and love it there. But this does concern me, and I can totally see it happening there.

Loeschke, 28, was an actuary who lived in Hoboken and grew up in Vineland, where his family lives.

Loeschke's sister was unable to tell her parents her brother had died, so police arranged for the family's pastor to relay the news, according to Monroe Township Police Capt. Bill Collins.

Simone and Collins said Megan Loeschke was particularly angry and stunned at Freefall staffers, who did not apologize for her brother's death.

"They didn't even offer us a chair to sit on," Simone said. "They completely ignored us. I had to ask for water for Reed's sister. They just kept collecting money."

That does not do anything toward helping the general public understand.

Jen
Arianna Frances

I wrote to her:

Dear Ms. Yant Kinney:

I must admit that I was very sad after reading your article “Skydivers too Close to Comfort” posted in the Philadelphia Inquirer on September 12th, 2006. I am sad because what I read lacks logic and also contains some very disturbing and untrue statements.

Let me address the most preposterous claim you make when you say that “Skydiving, as you might imagine, attracts a wild crowd. Some jump naked. Others, drunk.” Dear Ms. Yant Kinney, I challenge you to find any recent reports of skydivers jumping under the influence of controlled substances. Your statement is based on your very erroneous perception of the sport based on, I presume, very poor Hollywood productions. If you know anything about skydivers jumping drunk, please immediately notify both the Federal authorities as well as the USPA. If you do not know of any such case, then please be so kind as to publicly apologize for misleading your readers.

“Back in 1984, when Freefall took flight, the area was fairly rural” is your statement about the neighborhood that the Cross Keys drop zone is situated in. In other words I may presume that people who decided to settle there knew about the existence of the skydiving operation and bought their homes at their own free will. I also presume that the skydiving operation leaves a lot of money in the community in taxes, purchases at local stores and gas stations as well as hotels. So why do you want us to leave? Going along your logic, you should definitely ban the use of automobiles in the area. After all some drivers take their cars for a leisurely spin and cause horrible, bloody and deadly accidents. God forbid our children should see that on a Sunday afternoon.

Skydiving, just as skiing, motorbike riding, boating, rock climbing, biking, surfing, kayaking and so on, is an outdoors activity. As with every outdoor activity, sometimes you get hurt. Please research how many people yearly get seriously injured in the United States mowing their lawns. Perhaps we should forbid that too, or do it when others can’t see? Skydiving is a wonderful sport. We do not plummet to our deaths we partake in a group sports activity. You have brakes in your car or on your bicycle, we have parachutes. You will find a cross section of society in the skydiving world from lawyers to soldiers, from priests to mechanics. It might seem to you that we are a wild bunch because while engaging in our favorite activity we are loud and joyful. So are skiers or boaters and even people who play pool.

Though I am well versed in the art of reading, I fail to find a logical conclusion to your article. What were you truing to say? Why were you trying to say that? One of our own has died. He was neither naked nor drunk. He died while engaged in his profession which also was his passion. A tandem student died with him. That is very tragic, but once again nobody forced him to do that. As a matter of fact he was well advised of the risks and made an educated decision to go ahead with the jump. Nobody on the ground was hurt. On other hand at least two tourists died on rides at Disney World here in Orlando this year. They did not sign a waiver yet died as a direct result of the violent rides. Perhaps you should call for shutting down Disney World?

Warm regards,
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

She wrote back:

Dear Hans,
I'm sorry you and other skydivers are taking this column so personally, but the facts are the facts. Your sport, while exhilerating, can and occasionally does end in violent death. And in those rare occasions, an unsuspecting public around Cross Keys becomes as much the victim as the jumper's friends and family.
Thanks for reading and weighing in. I appreciate both, especially when my columns make someone upset.
Monica Yant Kinney
jraf

Muff #3275

I was trained, and have spent the last 9 years of my life emptying my bank account at crosskeys, and I find this hard to believe.

If I had known who they were and how they were feeling, I would have done anything in my power to make them more comfortable.

If this did happen, it is a shame, but try to remember, everyone on the DZ was aso dealing with our friends death, as well as her brother's death.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

I got a similiar reply. A form letter of sorts. [:/] Not much of a writer if she just uses the same old reply.

Perhaps her editor needs to be receiving these sentiments, especially in light of the fact that she makes no bones about defaming something she seems to have only marginally researched. Perhaps polite, informed letters to her editor requesting public clarification and an apology are in order. She doesn't seem to be getting the message with the current letter-writing approach, but I'll bet the chance she might lose some money or her job over it would be stimulation enough to get her questionable creative juices flowing over an apology of some sort.

Edited to add: Maybe point the editor to this thread.
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC

This is how I replied to her:

Dear Ms. Yant Kiney,
Please accept the fact that practically any sport may end in violent death. Once again, please note the logic – vehicular traffic may also result in violent death where the unsuspecting public at Cross Keys may become victims. Pray suggest a solution to that.
Your article did not upset me. I was taken aback by its lack of logic and your ease using untrue statements and seriously bending the facts. You will have noticed that I have copied my mail to both Glen Bangs the Executive Director of the USPA as well as William Schachner my regional USPA Director. I will be discussing with them as to appropriate actions with regards to your article. This is a free country in which you can write and publish what you want. Skydivers are however a strong group represented by the USPA, a strong organization. We as a group have every right to take action when frivolous and slanderous publication is made about us.
Once again my suggestion is that you issue a public apology. I feel violated by your statement about skydivers jumping drunk. You portray an untrue picture of a sport and of our organization.
Warm regards,

Now I suggest that we put our money where our mouth is and do something about it. I definitely intend to!
jraf

Muff #3275

I appreciate both, especially when my columns make someone upset.

um... ok... this is kind of um... wrong some how...

it would seem that her goal in life is to upset people... :|

Hence my suggestion to skip her entirely and go farther up her chain. She seems to think she's in an untouchable bubble right now, and hearing from her editor on how she needs to do a bit more research before she makes claims as she has in that piece might make a difference.

Hence my suggestion to skip her entirely and go farther up her chain. She seems to think she's in an untouchable bubble right now, and hearing from her editor on how she needs to do a bit more research before she makes claims as she has in that piece might make a difference.

I think this might be the editor, but would someone confirm that before we flood this poor guy with letters about Monica

Chris Satullo