wmw999

San Francisco location advice

Mostly touristy stuff. Walk around a lot. See pretty places, and weird places, and places I've read about. Like Chinatown, where it's built on a landfill, Nob Hill, Fisherman's wharf, and ride the cable car. See Sean Connery at Alcatraz. Maybe BASE jump off the GG Bridge :P.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I forgot to mention, Lombard St./the Marina are very safe areas, especially at night.

Just don't wait too long to go to dinner. While most of SF shuts down early by many cities' standards, the Marina is especially lame with options going fast by 10, nearly gone at 10:30.

And don't forget a coat. Wind can be pretty chilly in that part of town.

Mostly touristy stuff. Walk around a lot. See pretty places, and weird places, and places I've read about. Like Chinatown, where it's built on a landfill, Nob Hill, Fisherman's wharf, and ride the cable car. See Sean Connery at Alcatraz. Maybe BASE jump off the GG Bridge :P.

Wendy W.

BASE jump eh? whoa... that's extreme! ;)

I'd recomend getting the daily bus pass. But, if memory serves me right, it doenst include the cable cars. You can then explore areas, like Nob Hill, Fisherman Warf, China town, Union Square without having to walk everywhere.

When we visited, we stayed once right next to China Town, close to the German Embassy; and the other time on that main boulevard (Van Ness i think?) and bussed/walked/cable cared everywhere
Remster

Since you're not really a BASE jumper, we won't worry, however, if you wish.. there are some nifty places near there should you actually want to ;). Look me up!

120 is not bad especially in San Francisco. Make sure you get your free breakfast!!! If there's free parking take it. Parking in San Francisco will drive you mad so definitly cab/walk/bus while in the city.

You googled power exchange!!! :D Believe it or not, I haven't been there yet. (queue htrammel to give me shit about it).

When are you going?

Edit: um... that was not a question regarding the Power Exchange. It was a question regarding when you'll be in San Francisco :|
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

You will find lots of places in North Beach to stay, and it's walking disrtance to everrything. I stayed in the Green Tortoise backpackers, but there are loads of high class establishments there too :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You googled power exchange!!! Laugh Believe it or not, I haven't been there yet. (queue htrammel to give me shit about it).
-----------------------------------------------------------------
No way! :o You haven't been there? Oh my. Color me quite surprised. Perhaps we'll plan a "group outing" when next we visit your fair city...

wendy if you plan on going to alcatraz get your tickets a day in advance of your planned going. either online or at the ticke booth. hard to get tickets and go the same day. fishermans warf is pretty nice just plan on the sea lions being stinky.
and the public tranpotation is great there.
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

Just don't go to Broadway St. Not a good place for a pretty girl to go, especially at night. Lots of feaks and things, unless you like that kind of thing. I can tell you all the places to stay away from if you go there. I used to be law enforcement in the area. Send me a message if you want to know more. Do not get me wrong, the city is a nice place but can dangerous if you go to the wrong areas.
SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP

Wendy,

I lived in that part of town for 8 years. Guests who didn't stay with us often stayed at the "Lombard Motor Inn." Same block as the one you were looking at, probably cheaper, clean rooms, and also has parking. http://www.lombardmotorinn.com/

Ghiradelli Square is a few short blocks walk. Union St is popular (mostly boutique shops, some cafes) west of ~Laguna. Polk St has good cafes & cofeeshops. Great view if you hike up Francisco St (1100 block) east of Van Ness. Plus you'll be right by OJ Simpson's old high school.

Feel free to PM when you are in town if you need suggestions...

Evan

I'm going to be in San Francisco for a couple of days (run-up to a conference in San Jose), and am looking at a hotel that's about 20 minutes from Fisherman's wharf. Not cheap, but free parking.

If I like walking, is that a decent location? Anyone have any recommendations?

To me, $120/night is pretty expensive. After looking, I don't think I'll do much better than that in the city, but staying in the city means I don't have to hassle with parking etc. Izzat so, or is there a better option.

I await the collective wisdom with bated breath...

$120/night in the bay area is a steal. You might want to look around Sunnyvale, it's right around Moffet NAS, and there is a large park on the South Bay, with the base in view. It's great for walking or rollerblading. The view is great, it's close to San Jose and you're a short drive (about 30 minutes) to San Francisco.

If you go into San Francisco, get dinner at "The Stinking Rose" in the North Beach district. It is the best restaurant in the city in my opinion. The area is safe to walk around in too, with shops and stores that stay open late.

Enjoy the area, too bad you're only going to be there for a couple of days.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!