riggergreg

Count your damn tools...

That is the first fatality report in CSPA's archives.
... circa 1970 ...
CSPA frantically rushed to ban any tool that wraps around the lines - just below the skirt.

"Yep" I heard that story in about "73". It scared the crap out of me then, and I often think of it when I pack today.

I had another friend burn in when he hooked a pack opening band over his reserve handle in about "73". There was no gear check and he simply forgot about it.

He had purposely hooked it up that way so he wouldn't snag his handle on anything, (while in the trunk of his car). After all, he didn't want to spend another five bucks on a reserve pack job[:/].

After he cut away his malfunction he couldn't open his reserve (with the bungie over the handle). He fought it all the way to the ground. Another case of being absent minded, killing someone.....Steve1

Maybe this will help some riggers with remembering tools. I made a document in Excel that lists most of the tools in my rigging kit. Follow these steps to make a nice laminated tool check off card.

Why not just make an inspection/repack sheet passed on to the customer which includes serial numbers, due dates, inspection points, and tools in/out count?

It gave me warm fuzzies when my favorite rigger did that and didn't cost much (now days they even give away free printers with every ink or toner purchase).

Im still in training (a.k.a. riggers b*tch) I was given a checklist and modified it a little. I know it came from here. It was modified using Wordpad. It prints fine at work but here at home its off. I print it front and back on a single page. If it comes up screwy i can try to transfer it to microsoft word.

hoping this is what you are talking about. if not ignore me and continue ;)

edit: if you have Word® installed you will have to save as and pen it with Wordpad to see the lines that should be there... Ill play with it to make it Word® friendly. Again this is not my creation. Just a modified version of this one.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=940246#940246

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

yeeks that is scary..

not a rigger (yet) so forgive the silly question, but is the 'rigging tool kit' conducive to making a 'fitted tool box' like used on military flight lines? Something that has the shapes cut out so each tool goes in the right spot and so make it very obvious when one is missing?

While I don't mind the idea of using a tool checkoff list, as a memory aide, it doesn't stop someone sloppy from making an error.

I'd personally rather emphasize controlling the actual number of tools in the rigging area.

What I'm saying is that the guy who is too casual and misses seeing that he only has 3 of 4 clamps left (or whatever) is also the guy who, after using the tool list a bunch of times, will end up just skimming over the list too quickly, making a bunch of check marks, hardly seeing what's printed next to each.

Pilots can fall into the same trap. One says "Check gear down.", the other out of habit says, "Gear checked down.", while neither actually notices the gear is still up.

So I'd rather have a neat and clean rigging area and try to be disciplined enough to look at my tools. If there's one pullup cord at the side of the packing area at the end, I'd better not be trying to remember whether the messy pile of tools that I started with, had two pullup cords in it.

The tools tend to be limited enough in number that I'd place more importance on a checklist on steps in the packing process, than one on tools.

yeeks that is scary..

not a rigger (yet) so forgive the silly question, but is the 'rigging tool kit' conducive to making a 'fitted tool box' like used on military flight lines? Something that has the shapes cut out so each tool goes in the right spot and so make it very obvious when one is missing?

Yup! One of my original instructors/riggers has a navy blue reserve-packing-mat that has the shapes of all of her tools outlined in white tape.

She layes them all out there when she starts, and makes sure they're all there when she finishes. This is on top of flourescent pink (ala cypres temp closing pins) binding tape hanging off everything.

Your way takes it a step further.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I can't think of any reason to put a clamp there in the first place.

I've seen this done on side/pro-stacked reserve packjobs. Once you flake out the nose, clamp. Keeps the nose/A-lines from moving around while your stack and dress the rest of the canopy. I've personally never found it necessary, but i can understand wanting to ensure that level of control at the bottom of the heap where you can't always see what's going on.

Any clampy-type riggers want to comment? I've trained under 3 different people so far and none of them use clamps, so all of this is my interpretation from having watched a couple of times before i ever started training.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I've seen this done on side/pro-stacked reserve packjobs. Once you flake out the nose, clamp. Keeps the nose/A-lines from moving around while your stack and dress the rest of the canopy

The side/pro-stacked method shown in the Parachute Riggers Handbook shows the clamps on the top of the canopy, not on the lines.

The only time I've seen clamps used on the lines was on an over-the-shoulder pro-pack, to keep the lines centered first when flaking, then when making the transition from shoulder to floor. That rigger also used clamps around the B and C line groups. Bigger clamps, though, and really long flags. And a good tool count.

A little fuel on the fire: a molar strap would likely have prevented the problem.

Mark

Whether you clamp the top skin or the bottom skin depends upon personal technique.
I always PRO-stack and clamp the top skin, in accordance with the Talon 2 manual.
The primary reason I use clamps, molar straps, etc. is so that I can flake a piece of fabric, clamp it and move on to the next piece of fabric without fear of disturbing earlier folds.
I used to work with a BASE-jumping "artiste" who could do the same pack job without clamps, and do it neatly. I admired his expertise.
However I know a few riggers who hang canopies to flake them, then clamp the top skin before laying them down.
Riggers who clamp line attachment tapes are rare.
Dave DeWolf teachs young riggers to PRO-pack reserves over their shoulders, lay them down, then flake them a second time, all without clamps.
All methods work.
It is just a question of which method you are best at.

I always PRO-stack and clamp the top skin, in accordance with the Talon 2 manual.

[sarcasm]
If I pack my Talon 2 without using Sandy's clamps-galore technique as perscribed in the T2 Manual... am I violating the mfgr's packing instructions?
[/sarcasm]

:P

This is actually a question I'd really like a (non-sarcastic) answer to.

Any clampy-type riggers want to comment?

I learned from several different riggers, some used them, some made fun of those that used them. I've ALWAYS used them. And it's the pro-stack method that's worked best for me. As for clamping the A lines in front of the nose/lines, odd place I think...but whatever works for you. I do clamp the C & D linegroups once it's on the floor to keep them together. It's really whatever works best for you. No way is better than the other. Really, the end result is 'hoping' the fucker opens when called on. Of course, leaving the clamp on there hinders that. Also, I only use 5 clamps, and yes I count them.
my pics & stuff!

[sarcasm]
If I pack my Talon 2 without using Sandy's clamps-galore technique as perscribed in the T2 Manual... am I violating the mfgr's packing instructions?
[/sarcasm]

:P

This is actually a question I'd really like a (non-sarcastic) answer to.

I've Pro-Packed my Raven IIg in my 94 Talon many times without using a single clamp on the reserve parachute and don't feel like I've violated Sandy's packing instructions... furthermore, to add, I've got one save, ME!, on that very system.

Any clampy-type riggers want to comment?

I'm a clampy-type rigger. I never use them on the lines though. I just don't see the placement of the clamp in the picture as really helping anything.

I also have a checklist to make sure all my tools are accounted for.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

[sarcasm]
[/sarcasm]

I wish I could think of further sarcasm to emphasize your point but I can't.

I suppose you do what I do, and that is to follow the reserve canopy manufacturer's instructions for packing the reserve, then at the point where it says to refer to the rig manufacturer's instructions, you go there.

I haven't seen any letters from canopy manufacturers in the Talon 2 manual approving their "interesting" pack job, so I'll stick to the instructions from the canopy manufacturer.