bloody_trauma

Fun with medical words

as my skills in the field of medicine progress so does my vocabulary...

so if you can think of a medical term that sticks out to you lets here it, this should be a riot, try to stay away from phobias, those are done to death

no need to dress it up just say it in your own words

words like tenesmus,
having a feeling like you've just crapped your pants but you really didn't
Fly it like you stole it

So, what's it look like when you self-enucleate?

Is it like crossing the streams where every particle in your body explodes? Or is it more like a giant zit popping?

:|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

So, what's it look like when you self-enucleate?

Is it like crossing the streams where every particle in your body explodes? Or is it more like a giant zit popping?

:|

it's stabbing your own eyes out.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

thats the term for your eyeball being removed fom the socket

Well that makes much more sense in context. I was going for the "removal of the nucleus" definition.

Yes, plucking out your own eyes definitely sounds easier than successfully commanding every cell in your body to evict its nucleus. :D:D

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

thats the term for your eyeball being removed fom the socket

Well that makes much more sense in context. I was going for the "removal of the nucleus" definition.

Yes, plucking out your own eyes definitely sounds easier than successfully commanding every cell in your body to evict its nucleus. :D:D

back in the day when i was a therapist, i had some schizophrenic patients who actually self-enucleated. it's not too uncommon, sometimes they just get so tired of seeing things that aren't there and they think the proximal cause is their eyes so out they come!

one patient actually did it in our offices. a positively horrific scene. worse than any horror movie.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

My favorite term was the "Emersom-Goodwin's line." It's visible on remarkably few anterior/posterior chest x-rays. However, you won't find it in any respectable medical literature.

Let's say, for example, Rebecca (just assuming here!!!!) was getting a chest x-ray. The person viewing the x-ray can look at the line that runs laterally and bisects the area of the xiphoid process (it's not straight line), and proclaim, "Emersom Goodwin's!" Obviously, the person untrained may mistakenly proclaim this term when viewing the x-ray of a man with gynecomastia. This is cause for a "party foul."

Such a term closely parallels the term "Throckmorton Sign." A "Throckmorton Sign" is found in an A/P x-ray of the lower trunk of a man. There are two types of Throckmortons: the first is a "positive Throckmorton," which leans laterally towards pathology; and the "negative Throckmorton," which leans away from pathology.

It's usage may be found in this example. Assume a bloody_trauma has a broken left hip. IF his penis points to the left, then the radiologist may report a "Positive Throckmorton Sign."

I have also heard of a gynecological exam being referred to as a "CAT scan." I understand that some doctors give some nurses their "medical staffs."

My favorite abbreviation ever seen was "PCL." I asked the doctor what it meant and he described it as an inside thing for "Pre Code Looking."

I think my favorite legitimate medical word in the whole medical lexicon is "encephalomalacia." There's just something so nice sounding about the word, which describes softening of the brain.

edited to add: I spelled "encephalomalacia" wrong..

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Many years ago, I was a stenographer/court reporter and we had a course called medical terminology. Once I learned the word "oopherectomy"..then I decided to move to the pharmaceutical/biotech industry...and that is where I've been ever since.;)

I'm familiar with "CTD" ("circling the drain"). But, remember, gomers don't die, though they do go to the ground. They are their own breed.

Yes....Gomers go to ground. It's just whether they go from ortho height or neuro height....lol. Oh MY!
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I'm familiar with "CTD" ("circling the drain"). But, remember, gomers don't die, though they do go to the ground. They are their own breed.

Yes....Gomers go to ground. It's just whether they go from ortho height or neuro height....lol. Oh MY!

Interesting book, House of God.... but it made me sad. There's so much more to medicine.....

Favorite medical "word". OTD - refering to both patients and ME!

I'm fond of the gubernaculum. It's a little tendon that holds the testicles in place.

Oh my GOD! That was tagged in one of our Gross Anatomy practicals during Freshman year of medical school.

(I got it right)

:)
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Priapism. Sucks for the guy who has it. (His brain is jacked). Sucks if you're the guy who actually went looking for (and found) it. Oh yeah-it's a hard on secondary to head injury.

knew a guy in PHX who had a 28 hr priapism. they ended up taken all his penile vascular tissue out and replacing it w/ airbladders. he had a pump under his scrotum to inflate the bladders (this was in 1987). this was around the time that the reebok pump was on the market... he was the butt of MANY MANY jokes let me tell you.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...