pinkfairy

Should I sell my Pilot 132?

book yourself on to a canopy control course it will not only give you a better insite into canopy control and how to fly them but also give you confidence in your ability not sure about norwegian scene but there are courses in the Uk and also Empuria at http://www.safeflightschool.com/ it may help you out.

It certainly helped boost my confidence :)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

You know... maybe this is an idea. You might consider taking the Pilot out for a jump and see how it goes.

Without a couple hundred jumps under her belt, the original poster does not have the experience to recognize how fast and badly things can go wrong; and jumps under ideal conditions aren't going to reveal that.

A 132 is still a small canopy which is sensitive to control input and therefore easy to over control which is not something you want to learn the hard way.

On the other hand.... better safe than sorry.

Right. There's no hurry, and lots of smaller people (especially women) are happy with lighter wing loadings because they're looking for responsiveness instead of speed and the small canopies get them that with a lot lower loading than a big person would need to get there under a larger parachute.

Hey,

I would say not to sell the Pilot. I can assure you that you will want to jump it very shortly. I am posting because I was in your shoes exactly this past summer. I made a choice with my instructors and it may not have been the best choice but they said I could handle it based on my skill level.

My progression went very quickly after I got my solo license on jump #10.

(May not be exact but it's the best I can remember and I don't feel like checking my logbook)
Jumps 11-20 were on a 210
Jump 21 was on a Pilot 170
Jumps 22-35 were on a Sabre 2 150
All remaining jumps to current(57) were on my purchased gear, a Spectre 135 loaded about 1.04 to 1. I'm 121lbs naked.

I've had a couple moments where I though, damn, I should have a bigger canopy, but at the same time, I am doing very well under this canopy. I am very accurate, stand every landing, love flying it etc... I've only had one landing that I messed up, I landed crosswind and it pushed the canopy sideways at about 20 feet off the ground, I countered it, but went too much, so I countered with the opposite toggle and it went like that to the ground. I landed at about 20 degrees to the ground and was fine, luckily.

I actually find it fairly funny how people are trying to convince you that a 132 is ok, and it's a fairly "conservative" wingloading. I assure you, it is not conservative. Conservative would be a 170, conservative for someone jumping a loading of 1.5+ would be any loading at or below 1.1:1. If you go and read some of my early posts, I got shit on for even considering a 135. People wanted me on a 170, not one person said that it'll be ok, it's fairly conservative. I guess it just depends how you pose the question. People said I would be dead within 10 jumps. I'm not saying that I'm going to be fine under this canopy, but I'm going slow and taking it easy. One step at a time.

Anyways, my point is, master landing the 150, and when you can get landings dead on every time, and you're flaring and not wiping out, then go for the 132. The 132 will be "ok" if you are conservative with it. Don't try anything stupid, radical or unknown to you.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I'm surprised no one has said anything about this yet.

No I haven't tried the 132 yet, but I don't want to. Easy as that.

Your profile says that you have a 135 reserve. If you have a malfunction, you will be flying a 135 whether you want to or not! Furthermore, odds are you will be flying it when you are low (leaving you little time to figure out how it flies), and quite possibly having to land off the DZ.

If you are reconsidering your choice of main, perhaps you should also reconsider your choice of reserve. Just something to think about...
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

If you're scared of it, don't jump it. I've seen 2 lightweight girls buy a 120 to get wingload of .9-1.0 and even after lots of jumps on it (100's) they had trouble landing their canopies because they were so damn small. This is one of the reasons of our nationak canopy rules, you now cannot jump a 120 before you have 700 jumps, which I find a bit restrictive...

Saskia,
If I were to go to your country, would they not let me jump my own rig then? I have about 70 jumps on my Sabre-120 now and have no "issues" I can think of landing it (just skills/experience to learn I guess like anyone). Just curious.

If you're scared of it, don't jump it. I've seen 2 lightweight girls buy a 120 to get wingload of .9-1.0 and even after lots of jumps on it (100's) they had trouble landing their canopies because they were so damn small. This is one of the reasons of our nationak canopy rules, you now cannot jump a 120 before you have 700 jumps, which I find a bit restrictive...

Saskia,
If I were to go to your country, would they not let me jump my own rig then? I have about 70 jumps on my Sabre-120 now and have no "issues" I can think of landing it (just skills/experience to learn I guess like anyone). Just curious.

I think that on the whole, if the wingload, canopy type and size are not outrageous, you're good to go. You "should" be on a sabre2 150 here with max wl of 1.3, but if you can show you've jumped a smaller canopy lots before and you don't go over 1.3, I don't THINK you'd have problems. But the chief instructor could stop you jumping it anytime. I think if you'd just keep quiet about it, you'd be fine ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The jumping season is just starting in Norway I have a feeling (your profile says Norway). So you might be making a whole lot more jumps in the next few months, and your opinion might change after that.

Also, the point about your reserve being a size you're scared of is a good one. Just to think about.

All that said, I like Billvon's suggestion to put it up for sale for close to what you paid for it, and just jump a lot until then. You might find yourself changing your mind, and you might not. But that way if you sell it you won't have lost a lot.

Good luck. It's good to be thinking about this BEFORE you get in trouble, instead of after.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd make some more jumps before making that decision. Once you feel good about jumping the 150, maybe demo a Pilot 140. If the 140 feels good, maybe go for your 132.

You could also advertise and try to make a swap. I'm sure plenty of Pilot 140/150 owners would happily swap you for you smaller Pilot. As for me, I'm loving my 168 :)

...you have a 135 reserve. If you have a malfunction, you will be flying a 135 whether you want to or not! Furthermore, odds are you will be flying it when you are low (leaving you little time to figure out how it flies), and quite possibly having to land off the DZ.

If you are reconsidering your choice of main, perhaps you should also reconsider your choice of reserve. Just something to think about...

I know that.

Well, I'm keeping my reserve, thank you. I'm not scared of it, even though some people here say I should be.

This is not about what I can land, but rather about what I want to land.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

If you don't want to land a pilot 132, what makes you think that you can land the smaller reserve?

After I fight a malfunction, cutaway, and am faced with landing in some one's tiny backyard I want to make sure I have all the help I can get.

Most of the time I get to choose a real nice place to land my main, if you're flying your reserve you might have lost that option.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I believe she said farther up the thread that she is going to do some demo jumps on the same model reserve she has now. Besides everyone knows you try harder when your life depends on it:ph34r:.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I believe she said farther up the thread that she is going to do some demo jumps on the same model reserve she has now. Besides everyone knows you try harder when your life depends on it:ph34r:.

I missed that, but it doesn't change the point I wanted to make.

When you demo a reserve you still get a lot more choice about where to land it, same as a main. It isn't like you are demoing your reserve into some persons back yard bbq, right? That would be some hands on training. :ph34r:

Either way I wasn't trying to preach, I just wanted to provide some food for thought.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

If you don't want to land a pilot 132, what makes you think that you can land the smaller reserve?

FYI, they don't fly and land the same anyway.

After I fight a malfunction, cutaway, and am faced with landing in some one's tiny backyard I want to make sure I have all the help I can get.

Is that your opinion, or just keep on repeating like a parrot, because your heard so?

Most of the time I get to choose a real nice place to land my main, if you're flying your reserve you might have lost that option.

Most of the time I have landed my reserve the place of my choice.
;)

I think I can land the smaller reserve. And I know what landing out at my DZ means.

This was about what to do with a main that might not get any air time this year. And I think I got an answer anyway.

Edited to add:

Thanks for your concern! I'm sure it's well meant.

:)

I can't give you any personal advice other than the fact that a lot of your flying techniques will change & hopefully greatly advance in the next 100 jumps, so be prepared for change.

I jumped a 190 for almost 300 jumps then went to a 150 for more than 400 jumps & now am looking at buying a pilot 132.

I will be jumping a friend's pilot 150 for a few months (at least 50 jumps if not more) before going to the 132 since I'm also moving from a 7 cell to a 9 cell.

Only advice I can give you after being in the market for a 135/135 is that they are difficult to find - at least one in good condition for a good price. So, if you sell it online, it'll probably go fast. I know there's a guy on a team training in Perris, California right now from Norway that really wants a pilot 132. The other side is that if you end up wanting one in a year you'll be kicking yourself for not keeping the one you had since you'll end up probably losing money.

Personal decision any way you look at it. Good job staying safe. But at really light wing loads I'd imagine you'll progress more rapidly.

Good luck.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Let my low jump number guide how you take this advice, but I remember when I first started I had landing issues with a Nav 220. I went down to a sabre2 170 and finally felt like I was flying the canopy instead of it flying me.. I was a little scared on that first jump above a 1.0 wingloading, but was amazed at how much easier it was to fly and land. Not going to be true for everyone, but you wont really be able to tell until you get out there and fly it. Just remember, no low turns, and remember to flare in the correct direction on a day with a nice wind and all youll likely get is a grass stain if you bail, and probably a way nicer landing than you think.

Let my low jump number guide how you take this advice, but I remember when I first started I had landing issues with a Nav 220. I went down to a sabre2 170 and finally felt like I was flying the canopy instead of it flying me.. I was a little scared on that first jump above a 1.0 wingloading, but was amazed at how much easier it was to fly and land. Not going to be true for everyone, but you wont really be able to tell until you get out there and fly it. Just remember, no low turns, and remember to flare in the correct direction on a day with a nice wind and all youll likely get is a grass stain if you bail, and probably a way nicer landing than you think.

This is what all the swooping freeflyers told me. Or I got that advice from instructors and more experienced jumpers, and I found out later that they were swooping freeflyers. So I've heard it before.

:P

i would keep that damn canopy if i was you..everytime i was downsized from a canopy to another i jump the first 5-10 jump on a small dropzone on a medium windy day...pull high10-12000feet..play around the sky with your canopy..test it really hard..using front/rear-riser, stall it..colaps it..get used with it while you are in the sky..then you could get back to your home DZ...it worked for me..:)

I am NOT a swooper - probably the opposite. when I pull down on a riser & my leg strap goes lose it freaks me out. I still do it (up high to play) cause I need to learn all about my canopy.

As a student I was on a 0.65 wing loading, shortly off student status I went to a 1.0 wing load & loved it. Landing was much more easy & fun what the wanna be or true swoopers say is true - to a point.

A few hundred (250) jumps later I went to a 1.3 & love it even more - plus I can jump when the winds are over 10 mph.

Now many more hundred later (450) I'm going to just over 1.45 and while nervous am very excited!!

You will progress. Most likely with in 200 jumps you will want to be loaded at least a 1.0 or slightly more. If you don't need the $ from a sale now - why not keep the canopy.

Plus, canopies lose value through use, so don't use it. Put it in a lose fitting breathable bag in dark dry place. that way if in a few years you decide you never will get to the point you want to jump a 132 - you can sell it then.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

if you haven't jumped the canopy yet, have you considered just returning it? (did you buy it new?)

if you bought used, you can probably get exactly what you paid for it considering there's no more wear on it than when you bought it.

if by the end of the season you're feeling like downsizing, you can buy another one, or if not, find yourself a 150. it might take a little while, but it's the end of the season.. lots of time.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time