skydiverek

New cutaway housing terminal end

Obviously a lot of thought has gone into this, however it smacks of complicating something that has always been one of the simplest parts of an assembly. The moment I read "Caution do not route the ........." I cringed (although I'm glad that they put it in there).

It heartens me that people are always striving to improve the safety of our gear, but I think this is overkill..... keep thinking though
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

It does not seem to have any advantage over the current design and adds metal edges and bulk to an area that has a lot of pinching. In addition, there is a way to screw it up that someone may not catch unless they know what to look for (how many jumpers really read their rig's user's manual to figure out how all of the grommets are supposed to work).
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

... The moment I read "Caution do not route the ........." I cringed (although I'm glad that they put it in there)....

There are similar warnings for traditional systems. I have seen people install the current types incorrectly, more than once.

I don't see that this system prevents cable sucking any more than the current system. I do want to make it clear that I think this is a potentially interesting development. I have not thought about it in great detail, but it does deserve some consideration.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

A secondary thing that could address is the wear on the white loop from dragging your risers during packing. I've seen some white loops get frayed due to the way that people pack they drag the loop against the ground. This way its protected and can not have direct contact with the ground or the rig.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hmmmm, looks suspiscously like a pyrotechnic AAD cutter, no? I heard someone make a comment the other day that someone should make an AAD like device that calculates RoD and G force and cuts away your main if you have a spinning mal... I could see it sometime in the distant future.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

The design is interesting and since they even mention that it can be misrouted is even more. Improvements can definitely add flaws in other areas and this is one thing to be aware of with this type of system. The design will add some bulk but I think it will be a small amount and I don't think would greatly impact the looks of any rig.

As for protection of the locking loop there. I am not really convinced that it is completely protected and that this solves a whole lot there. I have seen loops frayed as well and at that end it happens but I think it is more common on the other side where it passes over the smallest ring and through the grommet. If someone is dragging their gear that is usually the area that is going to be in contact with the ground on a standard set of risers.

Now if this used on reverse risers, I would completely agree that it is complete protected, but with a standard set there is still much exposed.

I am interested to see what else comes from this as this is something that might require the thinking cap put on longer than it took to write this message. But if you noticed on some rigs the end is different from some manufacturers. Look at Mirage for example, they have a different end than most other manufacturers.

I am hungry for more thoughts on this.

Hi Jeff,

I have not printed it out to make any 'loose' measurements. But just on observation it looks like the 'hole' for the white loop is smaller than the I.D. of a '0' grommet; also the cable is now contained in a 'cylinder'. Both of these things would/should improve/decrease the possibility of 'cable pull through.'

Just a quick observation on my part; I would love to get a couple to play with. Looks like it is letter-writing time,

Jerry

they even mention that it can be misrouted...

I can also see someone having the loop routed around the inside diameter of the tube, with the cable off to the other side, rather than through the middle of the loop. You could look at it through the window and all would appear normal, until a load is put on it at opening...

It's an interesting evolutionary stage though, and it may lead to something even better.

Hmmmm, looks suspiscously like a pyrotechnic AAD cutter, no? I heard someone make a comment the other day that someone should make an AAD like device that calculates RoD and G force and cuts away your main if you have a spinning mal... I could see it sometime in the distant future.

I don't want to pull this too far off topic but in my opinion, a better device would be something that is springloaded that you have to keep physical pressure on in order for it to not cut away your main. It could be hand held and if you go unconcious or loss control they you open your hand and are good to go.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The design is interesting and since they even mention that it can be misrouted is even more.

I am hungry for more thoughts on this.

shoot a PM to BKR, he can give you all his thoughts behind this ;)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I don't want to pull this too far off topic but in my opinion, a better device would be something that is springloaded that you have to keep physical pressure on in order for it to not cut away your main. It could be hand held and if you go unconcious or loss control they you open your hand and are good to go.

So you can't stow your slider, deploy a flag, dring a beer, or anything else that takes a hand or two?;) BTW the current 3 ring IS a dead man release. Just take the cables out. I use an intentional cutaway system where you hold one three ring (with two fingers if you want) and pull the cable. Then pull the other cable and streamer the canopy. When you want it to leave you just let go of the other three ring.

Back on topic I like the new end. Except that it looks like a pain to thread. And I've routinely seen many traditional three rings assembled without the cable going through the grommet.:o This takes a make do system of electrical terminal buffered with a grommet and make it an elegant fixture. Would be even better if it swiveled on the end, assuming it doesn't. DAMN, there goes my patent.>:(
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

This looks like another attempt at eliminating the production bottle-neck of installing AMP fittings on the end of cutaway housings.
Harness manufacturers have a long history of problems with AMP fittings.
The first problem is stocking enough AMP fittings.
The second problem is buying the correct tools.
The third step involves maintaining tools (i.e. de-burring any rough edges).
The fourth problem is convincing the minimum-wage kid to consistently use a consistent technique when swaging thousands upon thousands of AMP fittings (see Service Bulletins issued by Skydive Gunter circa 1986 and Relative Workshop circa 2000).

Sun Path and Rigging Innovations tried to circumvent this (AMP fitting) bottle-neck by introducing soft cutaway housings in the early 1990s. Unfortunately their manuals did not clearly illustrate how to install cutaway cables, so a lot of skydivers miss-routed cables, doubling pull-force, etc. Eventually soft housings fell out of fashion because they average skydiver was not bright enough to assemble them correctly.

Hopefully, BASIK's well-illustrated manual will prevent miss-routing.

Several military bundle systems already use pyrotechnic cutters to release 3-Rings (i.e. drogue release).
For example, Butler makes a sea-water activated 3-Ring for cargo bundles. When the cutter gets wet, it fires, releasing the canopy, to prevent the cargo from drifting too far away from survivors treading water.
They are installed similar to BASIK's new design.