namgrunt

MANNERS..STILL IN USE

I just returned from a week long business trip to the BIG APPLE (NYC) and as a southern raised person found the city crude.

There is a total absence of what we in the south consider just normal every day courtesies.

So the question is DO YOU HAVE MANNERS AT THE DZ?

such as

ladies first
eye to eye contact with a "goodmorning"."good evening".
do you use "sir or mam?

seams sometimes we get is such a hurry we forget that there are others in OUR world

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

ladies first
do you use "sir or mam?

I too was raised in the deep south. I also work in NYC, and what you mention above just doesn't happen.

1) ladies first
Everyone in the city has some place to go, and they're trying to get there. There are simply too many people for such courtesies on a regular basis. It's kind of like the "nice driver" who lets someone out of a stop sign, so they can feel like they're being nice. What they fail to consider is the 20 other people behind them who have someplace to be, and are waiting on that person being nice.

2) eye to eye contact
This can be considered a personal assault by some in the city. Don't do it, as a rule.

3) with a "goodmorning"."good evening".
I love it when I go to Memphis. Everyone does this, and it makes me feel at home. But, not in the city. They're simply too many people who have places to be for this to be effective.

4) do you use "sir or mam?
I personally use this on a regular basis, becuase it's who I am. Even my kids are required to use it. Unfortunately, most people in this part of the world weren't taught that, and tend to dismiss it.
We are all engines of karma

DO YOU HAVE MANNERS AT THE DZ?

Where I jump now, Id have to say a collective yes. Everyone treats everyone really well. Theres no drama, no mocking of low timers, no skygods, no perverted disrespect. It really is just a nice solid family fun jumper DZ. Hell the manager last night pitched in for half our ribeye steak dinner then him and his girlfriend cooked it while we all sat around going over each others jumps.

Ive found a few DZs like that, however the few that arent with respect tend to weigh heavily on ones opinion of skydivers, but only if they let it.

When I was in NYC I found the opposite of you. I forgot that I wasnt in GA and tended to smile nod and say hello to alot of people, and everytime I got the same back. Police were polite and helpful when lost, and even the street venders were nice. Guess its just perception. Theres alot of people there versus where we lived so it may seem like that because most the time in NYC people are in a rush. Unlike a tourist who is sightseeing the locals are getting to work, going to eat, and just living their lives.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I wasn't raised in the south but I was raised to treat others with respect and courtesy.

By both of my parents and my grandparents (my grandmother was a southern bell...:)
I'm not very good at the "good morning" thing... I do generally give a polite "morning" ;) though.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Does anyone still stand when a lady leaves the table or retuns to it? It saddens me that people don't do it anymore or very often. I remember a woman asking my why I opened the doors for her, she wasn't being funny she just didn't know why I was doing it[:/]

I was also raised in the South;)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

There was a Thread on Chivalry in the Women Forum on here a long while Back. It shocked me how many women were actually Offended by common courtesy.Crazy

Crazy world we live it.

Wow , im gonna find that thread. I had to "train" Nathan. Id just stand in front of the door and wait. He is the only person who didnt just do that. However he is still a gentlemen its just that wasnt a common thing where he lived. I think most men open doors for women, at least I thought that.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

There was a Thread on Chivalry in the Women Forum on here a long while Back. It shocked me how many women were actually Offended by common courtesy.:S

I, too, was raised in the South, and was taught to do all those things by my parents. I've always been a door-opener, ladies-first kind of guy. Vskydiver was so impressed she took pity on me and married me. I still get her door for her.:)
What does surprise me is the guys who don't do anything courteous for their wives and the women that let them slide by without it. Marriage should be a lovefest, not a contest. [:/]

What does surprise me is the guys who don't do anything courteous for their wives and the women that let them slide by without it. Marriage should be a lovefest, not a contest. [:/]

I want to repeat this... cause I think it bears repeating...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I just returned from a week long business trip to the BIG APPLE (NYC) and as a southern raised person found the city crude.

I imagine it had little to do with you being southern raised and more with the place being full of New Yorkers. :D

I'm not real big on the the good morning/good evening thing with people just walking by, at least not unless eye contact is made first. I do however think I score pretty well on please and thank you, sir and ma'am, catching doors and pulling chairs for women, etc.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

There was a Thread on Chivalry in the Women Forum on here a long while Back. It shocked me how many women were actually Offended by common courtesy.:S

Crazy world we live it.

you're not kidding, I just ased a question in there and got banned!:o;):D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I was New York raised and I was raised with good manners. As someone else pointed out, things move slower in the south. There is that 'Southern Hospitality'. However, I have found that common courtesy is well received and reciprocated in NY. Granted the pace is much quicker and you couldn't possibly wave or greet everyone you see, but in one on one circumstances...courtesy usually is appreciated.

Chris

Crazy world we live it.

Having met a few women that were quite offended by me trying to help them into their coat, or offering to carry something for them, I couldn't agree more...

(And no, I was not a total stranger to them, before anyone asks... ;):D:D)

There is a total absence of what we in the south consider just normal every day courtesies.

So the question is DO YOU HAVE MANNERS AT THE DZ?

such as

ladies first
do you use "sir or mam?

seams sometimes we get is such a hurry we forget that there are others in OUR world

we sure do :)
only the other day i started groping a womans fanny and she slapped my hand and said "oi, MANNERS !!!! it's tits first"

so i said sorry and started rubbing her tits instead

I am a NY'er by birth but a Southerner at heart. We were raised in a strict household where we used M'am and Sir and held doors for people. But I left NY for the South when I joined the military and it is definitely a bit friendlier; people are less prone to be stand offish and rude. In my neighborhood we have folks from NY, NJ, PA and they all wave when we see eachother. The native NYers here are all polite and I have found that they seem more friendly here than up in NY.

Does anyone still stand when a lady leaves the table or retuns to it?

I don't like it when guys do that. There is a greater tendency for a negative attitude about women to accompany that sort of behavior. Not negative in that women are bad or something.. but negative in the sense that our opinions on important matters, like politics, business, religion aren't valued as much.

I'm sure that you feel that you are an anomaly.. but that is one reason why I dislike southern conventions of hospitality.. it is more common for women to have a different role down there.

Now go ahead.. call me an insensitive femi-nazi or something. But I have often found that the same guys that are so traditional in their manners are also more traditional in their views on women. And this is coming from a girl who grew up in the south.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

2) eye to eye contact
This can be considered a personal assault by some in the city. Don't do it, as a rule.

HAHA. This could not be more true. I will never forget as a kid pointing and looking at people and my mom always telling me, shhh don't look, you're gonna get shot LOL. When we went on school trips we werent allowed to look out the windows when driving thru certain areas of the city. hehe. 'Course it's not seriously that bad, but it's definitely a rule around here haha.:D:ph34r:

As many have said the city is very fast paced. In a slower environment there is time to hold a door open. In NYC, you are already halfway down the street before the door has even closed!

However, there are people who are not just in a rush but just downright rude and nasty.

That being said, I would not say the city as a whole is crude-nor completely impolite. Find the right person and they will help you with anything you need. Find the wrong person and expect to be ignored or get a rude reply. This also can entirely be due to the part of town you are in. The busier parts of town (take midtown/ Times Square/ Grand Central/ Penn Station/ etc.) hold a completely different group of people than other areas of the city. Travel a few blocks away and the atmosphere is totally different.

I'm from the NYC area, and there are times when I am either personally rushing or being rushed and am simply not always able to be polite. However, if you were to meet me you would see that I'm one of the nicest, polite people possible. I'm this way at the dz too. It's simply not possible to be this way in NYC though ;)

Sorry you had a bad experience there. I am moving away in a few months, and while I'm not going to miss the rudeness and the rushing, busy lifestyle, I will deeply miss the city-it holds so much entertainment, culture, and is just simply and amazing environment.:)

*daizey*