agk23

Too many options... - help!

I'm about to buy my first rig after many years of not jumping. I plan to buy all new gear and I am considering four options:

Vector, Icon, Mirage, Wings

I will be jumping relatively big canopies (190-210 range for both main and reserve). I would love to try them, but I live in Canada (which makes it more difficult to get one for a weekend) and want to order it ASAP to get it by the end of May beginning of June

This is what I found so far:
Vector
Pluses: has skyhook, magnetic riser covers, looks good, the company developed many innovations used by others
Minuses: expensive

Icon:
Pluses: will have skyhook real soon, looks good
Minuses: still pretty costly compared to Wings

Mirage (not sure how big is difference btwn 3&4):
Pluses: looks good, may get skyhook in the future (do not how soon)
Minuses: it will probably take some time before skyhook is available, pretty costly (3 is not that bad though)

Wings
Pluses: not expensive (relatively)
Minuses: no skyhook, I do not like external reserve PC, anything else???

I guess my question is except for skyhook, the looks and price are there any other major things I should consider when selecting container?

As for main canopy I am thinking to buy something safe and reliable (last time I jumped accuracy wings and it was 10 years ago). I plant to make around 100 jumps per season and probably keep my gear for a long time, so I thought I should buy all new. I do not plan to do swooping or downsize any time soon and will mostly concentrate on FF.

I am thinking WL would be 1-1.1. My weight is 170 lb without gear so I am thinking 210-190 should be OK. Here are the options I am considering:

Pilot – a bit concerned about loooong openings. Otherwise similar to Sabre 2 (see next)

Sabre 2 – over all looks like a good option but I never jumped 9 cell

Triathlon or Spectre – My understanding those are very similar, but I do not know if I should try 9 cell or stick with 7 cells

Your suggestion on mains would also be much appreciated.

Reserve is really simple: anything with WL 1-1:11 that I can get at good price
Thanks for your suggestions

Anvar
(PM me if you have something negative to say about any of my options)

Pilot – a bit concerned about loooong openings. Otherwise similar to Sabre 2 (see next)

Openings are not "loooong".
They are sweet and consistently on heading.

I've owned 2 Sabre2's and neither one of them could make those claims.
The Sabre2's opened squirrely (off heading to varying degrees) more often than not, but they flew and landed great.

Sabre2 is a good canopy, but if you are specifically lookin for a comfy, consistent opening canopy then Pilot is better than Sabre2
__

My mighty steed

any reason why you left out the infinity for a rig? no skyhook, but looks great, customer service can't be beat, very secure, moderatley priced.

when looking at canopies, think about the big air sportz lotus. priced between the pilot and the sabre (25% off if you take brian's canopy course), fun to fly, airlocked, built by pd.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

"Why do you make it so complicated? Any combination of your selection would do it just fine."

I guess you are right.
It is just that without much recent experience with new gear, every little thing sounds important. Plus I am spending $4k-$7k on the whole rig and would be jumping it a long time.

I figured asking would not hurt anyway.
"Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off"
Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"

What don't you like about the external PC on the Wings? It's not completely external.. there are two small flaps covering it, while the sides are exposed.

I love my Wings. It's reasonably priced, you can get all the options of the more expensive rigs, and it's super comfortable. Buying brand new a Wings will be the most cost effective out of the bunch.

If you can afford any one of em, I wouldn't let the price make your decision. As you said, this rig is going to last you a long time. A few hundred dollars now isn't going to seem like such a big deal 5 years down the road when you are still jumping the rig of your choice.

Just looking at your plusses and minuses of each rig, if you remove price, you already made up your mind. :)
Dave

I agree that Wings is very reasonably priced. And I guess this is one of the reasons I hesitate. I guess I am thinking that there's got to be a reason why it is so much cheaper. (you can't win here, can you :P if it is too expensive - not good, if it is too cheap - not good either:)
As for External PC - I think it is mostly the looks.
I would also love to have skyhook, but the price of the Wings may convince me otherwise.
"Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off"
Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"

I recently bought a rig and went with the Infinity, Sabre2 and PD reserve. That combination was the most comfortable for me. I ended up having both the container and main custom made to my liking.

If you are in a hurry and don't care about custom colors, Aerodyne now has an option of buying one of their stock designed containers that has a harness made to your size. It just gets sewn into the stock container. They have the 9 cell Pilot & 7 cell Trialthon and Smart reserve. All are good canopies. This allows for one stop shopping. At PIA, they said they could ship in about 3 weeks.

Good luck.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

"Why do you make it so complicated? Any combination of your selection would do it just fine."

I guess you are right.
It is just that without much recent experience with new gear, every little thing sounds important. Plus I am spending $4k-$7k on the whole rig and would be jumping it a long time.

You asked an opinion about the most polular pieces of gear.

Go ahead. Demo canopies and try on some H/C!

Anyway what discipline are you involved or going to be involved? All modern H/C is freefly friendly.

You left off Javelin which has the skyhook now. But, IMHO the availability of a skyhook should not be the deciding factor. Once you choose a rig on other basies then decide whether or not to buy the skyhook if available. While perhaps a reasonable option, it's adds a level of complexity and cost that I don't find worth the advantage. Others will disagree vehamently.;)

Also you should know that there are technical legal issues with some combinations of harnesses and reserves which have been certified under varying regulations. This is too complex to explain but ask your rigger, if you've chosen one, if they will put the combination together or service it after you get it. In most cases the answer will be yes but you should check.

I'd vote for an Infinity harness. You should at least consider it. And don't be so sure your going to get anything in your desired time frame.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi agk23,

Might I suggest that you contact Infinity (velocityrigs.com) and ask about the SkyHook. I know he is doing 'something' on it. You might inquire as to whether he could retro-fit one if you go with Infinity at this time.

Also, why not contact Al MacDonald at Flying High about the Sidewinder. He is a countryman and builds a very nice rig. Lots of quality at a low price.

Jerry

although the icon is slightly more expensive than the wings i believe it comes with many of the normally additional extras as-standard, ie collapsible pilot-chute, hackey, RSL etc. i've ordered my rig from sunshine-factory in Z-hills and got a 'bundle', takes quite a chunk off the price as long as you go with a certain combination, i got wings, pilot, smart, vigil with rsl, ff pud, collapsible pc, back padding etc plus complete assembly and reserve pack for $4850 (awesome exchange rate at the time, £2400 B| )

are you going to get an aad?

I own a Wings, Vector and Icon and have Safire2's, Pilots and PD Mains. Precision, PD and Smart reserves. No matter which configuration you choose, it will be a long-lasting romance. Sounds like the only true variable in your decison making process is the SkyHook of which I am a strong proponent.

The botton line is - it ain't about the rigs man, it really boils down to colors. ;) :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I am a big vector lover they are proven to be the most functional rig on the market and they just keep getting better. I would go with the vector I know that you can find dealers i.e not the big ones on the net , but jumpers who are dealers. The reason why I say that is because we use to get outrageous amounts off of vector because our dealer did no mark up and hooked us up. I laugh at people who pay full price for rigs its a waste of money. Also have you ever considered a Voodoo this is another fine fine rig a close friend of mine jumps one they come totally loaded for 1700 and something I believe but dont quote me on that. The mirage is also awesome they just look pretty boxy looking to me but thats my opinion i guess.

Hope it helps, Joel
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Good research, good choices.:)
I'm with you on the pilot.
I think that going 9 cell will give you more benefit than staying with 7 cells.

As for those who think you've made it complicated - it's no longer complicated because of the research you've done.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I bought my Aerodyne rig second hand... Icon sport container, Smart reserve and Pilot 188 main. I've jumped a fair amount of kit, and I didn't find the Wings _that_ comfortable. I don't have any experience with any of the other manufacturers you mention.

Just one thing about Icon options - if you buy one of their new elements rigs or whatever they are called, they can ship in 3 weeks I think. So that could be a helping hand? They also have loads of extras as standard, so you need to consider those when looking at costs.

The only negative things I have to say about the Aerodyne kit so far are as follows:

1. The pilot opens a LOT slower than I was expecting... Takes between 700 and 1000 feet depending on the pack job. It's not a bad thing once you're expecting it and planning for it, but the first time it happened I was reaching for the cutaway after about 3 seconds :)

2. Packing the Pilot - I'm pretty sure this is normal for any new ZP canopy, but it's a bit of a challenge the first bunch of times until you get the technique down.

3. Weight - An icon sport rig sized for a 190 main is just 1KG over what most airlines here will permit as hand luggage. Again, not a big deal, just expect to be checking it in.